Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 48 Khz or 44.1 Khz?  (Read 7634 times)

cpclark

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:48 Khz or 44.1 Khz?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2004, 02:12:06 AM »
i use to use 44.1 when i used the ad-20, then when i got the mp-2 and v2 i ran 48 and after transfering and converting to 44.1, i could tell a slight difference in quality on my playback systema after downsampling in soundforge 6, just my .02 and why not get that extra sample in your recording

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2004, 04:15:47 AM »
you guys are missing out on over 3,500 samples per second!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2004, 09:00:38 AM »
you guys are missing out on over 3,500 samples per second!

that-a-boy ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2004, 11:06:32 AM »
DVD-A can contain 48K PCM. I'm, glad i record at 48K.

Now if i had a JB3 i'd probably record at 44.1 - i wouldn't be into keeping two sets of master FLACs around for each show....

Offline phishn

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a lizard!
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2004, 09:34:55 PM »
Ok..only thing that concerns me about 48 khz is that when you resample to 44.1 khz, you are throwing away 3500 samples per second with some kind of statistical averaging.  Wouldn't it be better to have the recording device write the bitstream straight out at 44.1?  In a nutshell, the downsampling will not be identical to the straight out 44.1 recording.
AKG391/92/93's-> Hydra Silver XLR's -> UA-5(Oade warm mod) -> Microtrack II,JB3

Offline chase

• Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2004, 01:33:50 AM »
bit for bit they won't be the same but it really depends on *how* it determines which bits get tossed.  i seriously doubt anyone could tell the difference between straight 44.1 and the same tape run at 48 then resampled.  i really think this isn't all that important.  if you want 48kHz, run at 48 and resample, if you want to save time, run at 44.1

btw greg, i finally got around to doing some more testing on the dmic that died.  it appears the noise was coming from one of the chips in the board.  i noticed that the underside of the board was partially fried underneath all the pins, and when i touched the chip it was extremely hot.  hopefully i can get someone in the EE lab to help me figure out what's wrong, sure glad i didn't trade it to someone for some blank discs.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2004, 11:48:21 AM »
There are plenty of people who can tell a recording that has been resampled.  If you are spending hundreds to thousands of dollars for high-end recording equipment, why would you hurt yourself by resampling? Personally, I do all of my recording at 44.1, because I listen to everything off of CD.  I would be missing quality if I recorded at 48 and then just resampled so I could listen with CD's.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2004, 01:33:51 PM »
Go with the highest possible resolution capture.  

Later you can take resolution away, but you can't put it back.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline phishn

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a lizard!
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2004, 01:38:41 PM »
how do you take resolution away from 48 and have the 44.1 file be identical to one that could be recorded directly to 44.1 k with the taping gear?  hope statistical averaging doesn't smooth out and remove any samples that are important to the recording.  This is my only arguement to NOT resample and record directly to 44.1 since thats what I and everyone else listens to most of the time.
AKG391/92/93's-> Hydra Silver XLR's -> UA-5(Oade warm mod) -> Microtrack II,JB3

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2004, 02:18:52 PM »
how do you take resolution away from 48 and have the 44.1 file be identical to one that could be recorded directly to 44.1 k with the taping gear?  hope statistical averaging doesn't smooth out and remove any samples that are important to the recording.  This is my only arguement to NOT resample and record directly to 44.1 since thats what I and everyone else listens to most of the time.

I doubt that you could ever resample later and get the exact same file that would be natively produced when recording at the lower rate.  I expect a 48k sample resampled to 44.1k to not sound the same as a native 44.1k recording but you might not hear that on low res systems or in the car.  So you might think that it is better to just record at 44.1k and save yourself the extra step and questionable results of a resample.

But don't assume that CDs/44.1k are here to stay and thats all you will want to listen to.  DVD is becoming the dominant format and DVD players are as cheap as CD players now.  At some point you'll want to step up to DVD.  When you do, you will want better source material - the material at 48K - for your DVDs.   At that point, upsampling from 44.1k may get you a better sound, but it won't have all the original information that you could have had if you recorded at 48k originally.

Look at it this way.  Alot of guys taped using high end RR recorders, even though they knew that would always use cassettes in the car and for trading.  So why bother with the big RR?  When CDs became ubiquitous, almost everyone could enjoy the higher resolution of those recordings that were moved to digital from the high resolution RR source.  So aren't we all better off that they didn't use cassettes to master those shows?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2004, 01:01:34 AM »
Does anyone know if converting on the fly through your soundcard is any better or worse, than doing a software conversion? I always assumed that hardware conversion wasn't as accurate... ???
I believe hardware conversion is generally not as good.  Software will employ more recent algorithms.  In the old days hardware had the advantage of speed.  Kinda like video today!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2004, 01:32:11 AM »
There are plenty of people who can tell a recording that has been resampled.  If you are spending hundreds to thousands of dollars for high-end recording equipment, why would you hurt yourself by resampling? Personally, I do all of my recording at 44.1, because I listen to everything off of CD.  I would be missing quality if I recorded at 48 and then just resampled so I could listen with CD's.

fair enuf, but if you're dropping thousands and thousands of dollars on recording equipment and thousands more on playback equipment, why not add a computer into your playback equipment.  you can network it to your other computers or even store files on it...put a dvd drive and save your recordings as .flac files on that.  you can easily playback 24/48, 24/96, or even 24/192 flac files now on your playback system.

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2004, 08:54:22 AM »
All frequencies above one-half of your sampling rate become aliased and appear as lower frequncies in the sampled signal. This is an inaccuracy that can never be recovered when trying to reconstruct the origianl waveform.  So go for the 48 sampling rate, that way when you do down sample, you should should not have the aliasing that would occur from a direct 44.1 recording.  This link talks a little bit more about why the standard sampling rates were choosen. http://www.promastering.com/pages/techtalk_mac/tt-3_mac.html
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2004, 09:13:39 AM »
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2004, 09:21:00 AM »
sorry to be off topic here but wtreynol, where is your avatar from, lol, funny stuff ... as far as my two cents goes, I do 44.1 and will continue to do so until the market says otherwise ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com