Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 4 channels?  (Read 17694 times)

Offline crossthreaded

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: 4 channels?
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 10:56:02 PM »
This sounds f*cking awesome!  Love those German mics! :)

I have AKG 481's (and 391's) but still want me a pair of KM184's.  :P

thanks dude! I was quite happy with it for the crappy PA I was pulling off of.

if my buddy didn't have some that I could borrow anytime I want I would have already pulled the trigger on the ones in the yard sale.  hell I still might pick them up if they are there much longer
akg 460/ck61>cables>busman T mod R4
stuff > rio > es > cl5 > nexo

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »
Doug Oade's thoughts, quoted in this thread.  I'm re-posting his quote here because of his statements about these mic configs.  The suggestions for which channels to use is in reference to his Concert Mod on the original Edirol R-4 and can be disregarded for the sake of this discussion. 

[snip] A 4 microphone recording works best with the primary coincident directional mic pair( i.e. 90° X-Y hypercardioids) on channels 3 and 4 with a secondary or flanking pair of omnidirectional mics on channels 1 and 2. 4 directional mic mixes are not recommended. 3 microphone mixes should use channels 3 and 4 as a primary pair and channel 1 or 2 as the center mic. The use of an omni center channel, aligned with the coincident primary pair typically produces the best results for 3 mic mixes.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2012, 04:01:43 AM »
I run 4ch mic mixes all the time. Either super cards or cards + wide cards (schoeps mk41/mk5 + mk22) or sometimes I'll run the mk5's omni if outside. I compare sources first then start mixing. More times than not I really like the combination. I very rarely mix it 50/50. There is typically a dominate stereo pair that I like and if the mix adds something I like to the sound I keep it. This technique may not be recommended, but I like it and it sounds really nice to my ears.
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2012, 10:55:47 AM »
I run 4ch mic mixes all the time. Either super cards or cards + wide cards (schoeps mk41/mk5 + mk22) or sometimes I'll run the mk5's omni if outside. I compare sources first then start mixing. More times than not I really like the combination. I very rarely mix it 50/50. There is typically a dominate stereo pair that I like and if the mix adds something I like to the sound I keep it. This technique may not be recommended, but I like it and it sounds really nice to my ears.

^this, definitely a dominant stereo pair exists in each particular recording event.  My pairs are XY cards and spread omnis, at different spread distances for different results.. starting to look into the SRA (stereo recording angle), but I forgot where that cool link was...
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2012, 11:16:55 AM »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2012, 01:01:04 PM »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2012, 08:35:12 PM »
At one point, Core Sound was working on a 4 channel preamp which multiplexed the four signals into a two channel SPDIF stream for recording on a stereo recorder with SPDIF input, but dropped development of it.  I assume it would require software decoding afterwards go from 2 to 4 channels again before you could do anything with the audio.  Web page is still up- http://www.core-sound.com/4Mic/1.php  Sort of like ADAT S/MUX in reverse it seems to me.

But I'd guess that  technique is different than using frequency modulation (or maybe not, I'm in over my head).  The FM idea reminds me of one flavor of quadrophonic LP encoding which used  FM modulation of ultrasonic frequencys to store the information for the extra two channels, I forget which that was.  At least with digital it would work reliably.

With either technique, it would be pretty cool to be able to record eight 24/48 tracks to a stereo 24/192 recorder with digital input!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2012, 09:28:59 PM »
Interesting.  Yeah, I was mentally mixing up Frequency Modulation radio transmission with the side-band audio carrier stereo technique.  Thanks for the clarification all around.  Interesting idea, could be useful for less critical audio on the extra channels.  Thinking rear surround channels, or a mostly mono soundboard recording just recorded to reinforce vocals and details on a primary AUD.

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2013, 09:04:35 AM »
Lots of good stuff in this (old) thread, thanks to everyone who input.

I just thought I would chime in with my (very limited) 4-channel experience. My operations are purely stealth, so this is very different to all the advice given previously which seems to relate to open taping. I ran a 4-channel stealth set up last week, B3's (omnis) on shoulders in rough A-B, so approx 400mm separation, and CK930's (cards) in hat-mount above temples, pointing inwards slightly, both mic pairs going into an R-26. So visually, face-on, the mics were in a roughly triangular arrangement. I recorded at the front of the stage, centre. Purists might argue this is not a good place to tape, but I had a close-up and direct line of sight to all instruments on-stage (small stage at that). 

I have to say that the results are better than I could ever have hoped.  The mix of the omni's and cards (50:50) has brought out the best of both sets of mics. For this set-up at least, the matrix is noticeably better than either single source. The B3's picked up the kick drum well, but the snare drum hits were better represented on the CK930's. I would normally EQ my B3 recordings to brighten things up a tad, but when mixed with the CK930's with the 10k bump I found this was not needed as the two mics seem to compliment each other very well. Added bonus is that stereo imaging is great.  No phasing issues of any kind, and mixing 2 x time and machine-synched files was a total breeze. 

Wherever possible, this is going to be my stealth set up of choice from now on.  But does anybody else have any good stealth 4-channel suggestions they can make, possibly some clever way of adapting my set up to provide even better results?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:09:52 AM by yates7592 »

Offline sacchini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2013, 03:34:44 PM »
Interesting post, Yates7592.
In a few days I'm going to use my R26 but I've only cards external mics so I'm just going to record 4 channels for mics comparison purpose and not for doing a Matrix (or should I give it a try anyway?).
Is it difficult to make a well sounding matrix?
Do you trust tools and techniques or just your ears?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Is it difficult to make a well sounding matrix?
Do you trust tools and techniques or just your ears?

As with other aspects of taping (or any skill/knowledge task); just about anyone can make one, many people can make a decent or good one, but only a very select few can make a great one. It doesn't hurt to try, you're out time and effort, but it requires a lot of practice (both in post production and the math/placement required during setup) to get to the point of making a great one.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline sacchini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »
As with other aspects of taping (or any skill/knowledge task); just about anyone can make one, many people can make a decent or good one, but only a very select few can make a great one. It doesn't hurt to try, you're out time and effort, but it requires a lot of practice (both in post production and the math/placement required during setup) to get to the point of making a great one.
It makes sense...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.145 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com