Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can anyone explain this?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
Can anyone explain this?
« on: August 02, 2004, 11:39:12 AM »
This is more of a computer question, but it came up in the taping context. 

Can Winamp be causing hiss during playback?  Yesterday I recorded some acoustic music from a soundboard.  The recording sounded fine when I was tracking using CD Wave.  After tracking, I played it back using Winamp and notices hiss that I had not noticed before.  Then I played it back using Windaws Media Player and burned it to a disk and played it on my home system--no hiss.  What is going on here?
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Can anyone explain this?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 02:37:02 PM »
did you have the winamp eq on with a very high frequency boost or something? is it the latest version of winamp?  don't really know what would cause it, but at least it's not there when burned or played in WMP so that's good cause it's not an issue with your gear.

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: hissy playback
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 04:34:56 PM »
i have this problem as well.

sometimes using winAMP to play back anything -- flac, mp3, raw wav -- results in a playback that's about as great as a weak AM signal!

but sometimes... it's as clean as if i were using one of my other media applications.

it's not a winAMP eq curve issue.  (i'm on v2.91, btw.  if there's a newer version for which flac/shn plugins work, let me know!)

i've thought in the past that it's codec related, because i remember the problem occuring for the first time just after i installed the divx codec.

oh yeah, that's another thing -- playback wasn't always this noisy.  for the first few weeks after i built this system (nforce 2 chipset, AMD 2800+ barton proc) i was fully content, but then after installing x,y and z applications/codecs/etc, voila, i noticed this hissy playback.

i've always had on the back burner to wipe the drive, reinstall OS and test playback after each install in the hopes i could narrow it down, but... that rainy day has not yet come.

if anyone has any advice on this problem, i'm all ears

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 04:52:43 PM »
i thnk i run something like winamp 6 ??? i'll have to double check when i get home from work.  i remember having a similar issue with older versions of winamp. it seemed to work itself out when i upgraded. try downloading the latest version and see what happens. if you and it's still the same  then i'm totally clueless....

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 08:16:37 PM »
i thnk i run something like winamp 6 ??? i'll have to double check when i get home from work.  i remember having a similar issue with older versions of winamp. it seemed to work itself out when i upgraded. try downloading the latest version and see what happens. if you and it's still the same  then i'm totally clueless....

You're probably on Winamp 5, which works with the shnamp plugins that are out there now.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 10:03:07 AM »
anybody make any headway with is issue?  i'd really love to have it knocked out.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 10:15:07 AM »
Have you tried the FooBar player???  As far as I know it is SHN and FLAC capable...

I use an older version of WinAmp b/c of the plug-ins...  Not sure if there are any updated plug-ins for the new WinAmp 5... 

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 12:53:40 PM »
Winamp 5 I believe uses all of the 2.xx plugins that we generally use. I def. use the current SHN and FLAC plugs with it.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 03:07:53 PM »
I have had this issue with the latest version of Winamp.  I worked around it by not using Winamp anymore...  :-\
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com