Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mono/Mono Matrix... need help...  (Read 6327 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mono/Mono Matrix... need help...
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 08:25:22 PM »
::)

forget it
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2004, 06:25:56 AM »
Re-read his post - he has one deck and two sources - one of which is already mono...doesnt sound like he has a mixer...

hmmm... I know where he can borrow one.  ;)

I think my Wendt X4 is still listed on the gear loaner program (four channels > 2). While I'm not fond of doing it this way, he could mix the mono soundboard into both the left and right and run the stereo AUD feed.

Without a mixer, I would suggest running an omni as a single mic. Regardless, I think a 1 mic, 1 soundboard recording is going to sound flat (as do most soundboards in my opinion).

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline 1st set only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2004, 10:05:15 AM »
Try to borrow a deck/JB3 and run SBD into it, then run a stereo audience recording into your M1.  Best of both worlds.  If the show isn't happening immediately, I bet you can track down a loaner.

If you're stuck with only the M1, personally I'd skip the SBD outright and run a stereo pair of mics in the sweet spot.

Don't want to pass on the sbd and can't get another recorder. I'm going out of state for the show. Also, I would rather have a mono aud/sbd mix. The room is small, maybe 300-400 capacity.

how bout you d a m/s recording. 
have the mics go to one channel and the sbd go to the other and do a M/S mix in post. just have your SBD be your Middle and your mics be your side. It is not the typical way of doing a MS recording but it might be neat. you need wavelab or soundforge to do this.
the show is over go home please.

hexyjones

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2004, 12:31:27 PM »
Try to borrow a deck/JB3 and run SBD into it, then run a stereo audience recording into your M1.  Best of both worlds.  If the show isn't happening immediately, I bet you can track down a loaner.

If you're stuck with only the M1, personally I'd skip the SBD outright and run a stereo pair of mics in the sweet spot.

Don't want to pass on the sbd and can't get another recorder. I'm going out of state for the show. Also, I would rather have a mono aud/sbd mix. The room is small, maybe 300-400 capacity.

have the mics go to one channel and the sbd go to the other and do a M/S mix in post. just have your SBD be your Middle and your mics be your side. It is not the typical way of doing a MS recording but it might be neat. you need wavelab or soundforge to do this.

Interesting - I was thinking the same thing...but it sounds like he will be using just one mic...but I think he could just reverse the phase of that channel to obtain the second channel...might work, might not...

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2004, 12:00:33 AM »
No matter what source you record the show on, it is going to sound the same.  A mono mix from the board kinda ruins the stereo image no matter what source, soundboard or audience.

Good luck though.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2004, 02:09:05 AM »

That's quite clever!  He'd still need a figure-of-eight mic to do m-s though.

And it sounds like Joel really wants both aud and board so let him have it.  The only trick is going to be setting levels with the 2 channels coming from different sources.  I've met Joel and know that he owns some attenuator cables.  You'll have to put those in the soundboard path and/or probably ask the sound dude to cut your levels down so you have something usable for both the board and mic signals.

Then in post, you can load it into an editor and play with the channel balance (CEP has a channel mixer where you can give each side whatever proportion of left/right source).  The end product will be mono but you can choose the balance of board/mic.

As far as plugs/adapters, the mono adapter will likely draw from both left and right contact areas on a stereo plug. 
That's gonna be one ugly setup!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 02:42:21 AM by dklein »
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com