Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: will this work? (transfer question)  (Read 1498 times)

oniontaper

• Trade Count: (0)
will this work? (transfer question)
« on: July 11, 2005, 11:27:14 AM »
pulled a decent tape from Victor Wooten the other night. But as a result of a bad optical cable/plug my jb3 version has pop's and drop's, but the tape's came out fine  ;D

now since i have not had any previous problems w/ my jb3, I have put off buying and installing a soundcard that would hook up to my DA-30.

now i know i could hook up my DA-30 thru my ua-5 via usb, but this has been proven to not be bit perfect. so i dont wanna do that.
but could i do this instead?

DA-30 > coax. > UA-5 > new opti cable > JB3

and treat it like it was a recording session, then do my transfer from the jb3 w/ firewire to PC?

i wont have any xtra $$ to buy the soundcard till the weekend, and my friends (who i told would get cd's before they left town) will be gone on friday.
if it were anyone else i would just mail them off later, but there going to live in the RV so it could be a bitch to get something over to them.
TIA
Jesse

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: will this work? (transfer question)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 11:33:32 AM »
Well, like you said yourself, going through the UA-5 won't be bit-perfect, so your proposed path of
won't quite work. It'd be "good enough" to give to someone to listen to, IMO, but I wouldn't archive that copy.

If you can get an optical out of the DA-30 via a format converter, then going from that to the JB3 will be bit-perfect if you have a good format converter (check the archive/search for that).
Out of the game … for now?

oniontaper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 11:43:38 AM »
Well, like you said yourself, going through the UA-5 won't be bit-perfect, so your proposed path of
won't quite work. It'd be "good enough" to give to someone to listen to, IMO, but I wouldn't archive that copy.

If you can get an optical out of the DA-30 via a format converter, then going from that to the JB3 will be bit-perfect if you have a good format converter (check the archive/search for that).

great point!
i think my friend has a hosa odl box i could borrow for the day.
+t

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 05:01:04 PM »
I would be glad to convert it for you if that would help.

-Kevin

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com