Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 4 mics> ua5  (Read 4722 times)

Offline michael

• has nothing to say
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • sall's coming out party!!
4 mics> ua5
« on: August 03, 2005, 08:35:11 PM »
I don't have a ua-5 but can this be done(has anyone done this) what would i need to accomplish this, i tried a search but couldn't find anything
thanks
michael

"edit for aft fingers(moke)"  :-*
They had better be made out of pure platinum and come with a complimentary "date" for that much money.

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: 4 mics> ua5
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 11:25:05 PM »
You'd have to use another phantom power like your ps-2 source for the 2nd pair, and then run xlr>rca's to the back of the ua-5
mics & cameras

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 08:49:47 AM »
what if you were to use akg c1000s with 9volt batteries in them? could you then go c1000 via xlr>rca? would you need to attenuate the signal going into the rca inputs?

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 08:54:12 AM »
what if you were to use akg c1000s with 9volt batteries in them? could you then go c1000 via xlr>rca? would you need to attenuate the signal going into the rca inputs?

You could also do that.  You would not need to attenuate unless the source was rediculously loud as there is an input volume knob on the back of the ua-5 which you can control the level of the signal coming in through the RCA's
mics & cameras

Offline hoobash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 09:28:42 AM »
Are you sure you can run mics into the line input like that? I think you need some kinda of preamp in front of them

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 09:57:22 AM »
Are you sure you can run mics into the line input like that? I think you need some kinda of preamp in front of them

You can increase the gain by the input volume knob on the back of the UA-5, i've done it once and it seemed to work fine. 
mics & cameras

Offline stigs

• Fratboy Meathead
  • Lame Duck Sessions > Monkey Drum Jam
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 11:50:18 AM »
how would you position 4-mics to get a better quality recording?
-Stigs

Peluso CEMC-6 > Segue Dogstar 15' XLRs > BM2P+ UA-5 > SP Optical Cable > Nomad JB3  w. SVU-1 & Macbook Core 2 Duo

Team Pittsburgh

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 12:26:52 PM »

I am by no means exp'd in this but I'd like to try some split omnis with two cards in the middle.  I'm picturing this at an STS9 show...that'd be money.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline jkbyram

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 01:30:21 PM »

I am by no means exp'd in this but I'd like to try some split omnis with two cards in the middle.  I'm picturing this at an STS9 show...that'd be money.

we are thinking of doing something similar to this. micheal has adk tl's and i have c1000s and a ua-5. we tape together alot  and have plenty of opportunities to try it out. i think there could be possibilites of it sounding good.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 01:39:47 PM »
all you need (ideally) is four identical mics and four identical XLR cables, run it all into the UA5 and adjust the mix on the rear of the UA5 with the black knob, and adjust the recording levels on the front of the UA5 with the trim pots; its that simple; however, it is crucial that all four mics are placed the same distance from the stage or monitors, otherwise you will have phasing/delay issues and your recording will sound strange; for an example of what I describe above go to archive.org and stream Sound Tribe Sector 9 from 12-30-04 or 12-31-04, both recorded with four 483's>into one UA5>into one JB3, turned out well

Offline jkbyram

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 01:46:56 PM »
so is the consensus that it would only sound right with 4 identical mics. i would think that certain combinations of mics would produce differrent results. since some mics capture highs better and some lowsbetter, etc.etc. i would think a combination would be more logical to try than 4 identical mics.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 02:17:24 PM »
so is the consensus that it would only sound right with 4 identical mics. i would think that certain combinations of mics would produce differrent results. since some mics capture highs better and some lowsbetter, etc.etc. i would think a combination would be more logical to try than 4 identical mics.

I think it would work either way, I have tried it only with four identical mics myself; distance from the stage is the most crucial factor in my opinion, if that's off then it really won't matter what mic combination is used

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 02:17:46 AM »
I think if anything you're going to need something to boost the signal, not lower it.   The rca's on the ua5 are expecting a line-level signal and unless the c1000s put out a really hot signal you'll need either a preamp or some line transformers (like AT8201s) to get a signal that's similar in levels to the XLRs on the front.  It's been mentioned here a bunch of times that the knob on the back is an atteunator and doesn't add gain, but rather it reduces gain.  If you do end up using some AT8201's you'll still need a way to go from the male 1/4" jack on the end of the 8201 to an RCA connector.  I ended up getting some female 1/4" to male RCA adapters along w/ some short male RCA to female RCA cables that plugged into the ua5.  You could do it without the cables and plug the 8201 w/ adapter directly into the ua5 but it'll be sticking straight out of the rca jacks about 4 inches. 

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 02:59:37 AM »
I've done it a few times with 2 sets of Oktava MC012's and once with my lsd2 and the Oktavas. I've only tried this stage lip though. Not sure how things would be back in the room.

I had to use a pair of transformers to boost the signal to line level for the rca in. just the mics>phantom will not work for most mics.

I ran cards din>xlr in and split omnis>ps-2>transformers>rca in. The config is refered to as outrigger omnis.

Work the mix just like has been described here numerous times for mic/sbd mixes. You can get a good idea of what each pair brings to the final product with a good set of headphones.

As was already mentioned the distance from the sound source to the mics has to be the same to avoid delay problems.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 01:06:07 PM »
if you ran 2 on the front and 2 on the back, would they output mixed together into 1 recorder?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 01:15:35 PM »
if you ran 2 on the front and 2 on the back, would they output mixed together into 1 recorder?

yes, the ua-5 mixes on the fly. I recently invested in some noise-cancelling headphones, GREAT decision for ua-5 matrices.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 01:43:15 PM »

yes, the ua-5 mixes on the fly. I recently invested in some noise-cancelling headphones, GREAT decision for ua-5 matrices.
nice
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 01:45:59 PM »

I have been using 4 mics for a few years. Two omni's split 1 metre apart, with a set of cards in the middle.

I use Earthworks QTC-1s on the horizontal bar and SR-77s on a vertical shure bar in the middle.

There are several things posted on archive.org that use this configuration.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 03:14:24 PM »

Yes...

But is there enough gain available at the Line Input to get a good signal...?

If not the, XLR inputs will have to be set at less than optimum settings...

If you can get a peak off the RCA inputs - it should work ok...

Offline stigs

• Fratboy Meathead
  • Lame Duck Sessions > Monkey Drum Jam
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 03:19:45 PM »

i cant get the headphone jack to work when i am recording, i swear i have tried every possible button/knob combination on the ua-5  ???
-Stigs

Peluso CEMC-6 > Segue Dogstar 15' XLRs > BM2P+ UA-5 > SP Optical Cable > Nomad JB3  w. SVU-1 & Macbook Core 2 Duo

Team Pittsburgh

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com