Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What else do I need? Help me build a list  (Read 3562 times)

Offline ozarkbilly

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
What else do I need? Help me build a list
« on: February 29, 2008, 11:55:22 PM »
OK here's what I've acquired so far, I have yet to tape anything yet  >:( (well, I did pull mad tape of a banjo jam session today, starring ME)

Iriver H120 rockboxed - (charger, USB cable, remote also)
Church ST-9000 preamp (currently have a 16" mini-mini and have a wee lil short mini-mini with right angle plugs enrt)
Church ST-11 cards
Core Sound Binaurals w/switchable bass roll-off battery box
.99 ebay 7' light stand (1/4" tip)
.99 ebay 27" light stand (1/4" tip)
t-mount for mics made from 12" ruler wrapped with electrical tape to provide a little bit of grab
little Samsonite camera bag that holds the iriver & pre very nicely

OK don't just assume that I have anything else, even if its something little bitty.  If its not on this list, I don't have it.  What else do I need (or want and just don't know it yet  ::) ).  Doesn't have to be big stuff, I'm sure there's lots of little things that prove invaluable at one point or another.  I've got about $500 of my tax refund left to blow.  I'm thinking very hard about upgrading my recorder to either an Edirol R-09 or Marantz PMD620.  Not sure if this would be my best use of funds though. 

EDITED TO ADD:  I plan on 'stealthing' most of the time, not due to high security at most places that I frequent, but more due to the convenience of it.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 11:59:28 PM by ozarkbilly »

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
Re: What else do I need? Help me build a list
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 12:06:04 AM »
Duct tape to tape loud concert goers mouths shut or to tape stand legs down or cables*
Small LED flash light*
Paper pad
Pen(s) More then one
Leatherman multi task knife*
Plastic ties*
Clamps for when you can't use stand
Extra Cables*
Extra batteries*

*Very Important
Smile and good attitude no matter what happens and the ability to let it go and chalk it up as a learning experience and never let it happen again.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline ozarkbilly

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 12:18:09 AM »
Small LED flash light* (EXCELLENT!  See, that's something my dumb ass wouldn't think of until the lights went down)

Plastic ties* you mean like zip ties, I assume?

Extra Cables*  elaborate further on this if you would.  What sort of cables & why?

Extra batteries* See above comment re: my dumb ass

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 12:24:26 AM »
better than zip ties....check the "lauundry" section of your local grocer.  you can get a roll of reusuable velcro ties for about 2 bucks.  great for anything you would use cabel ties for.
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 12:27:24 AM »
Small LED flash light* (EXCELLENT!  See, that's something my dumb ass wouldn't think of until the lights went down)

Plastic ties* you mean like zip ties, I assume?

Extra Cables*  elaborate further on this if you would.  What sort of cables & why?

Extra batteries* See above comment re: my dumb ass

Zip ties yes and they help in a jam
Extra Cables would be a cable you have in your source or a patch cable for sound board if that is possible. It looks like you use a RCA(stereo)>1/8"(stereo) cable will extra one just in case you run into problems.
Extra batteries for you looks like it would have to be external since you use lithium I think right?
Duct tape holds the world together and don't over look this even if your running stealth. I use to wrap some duct tape around a marker when I did not have a lot of room.
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 12:29:59 AM »
better than zip ties....check the "lauundry" section of your local grocer.  you can get a roll of reusuable velcro ties for about 2 bucks.  great for anything you would use cabel ties for.
Ahh, good point and I knew I forgot some thing but I use both. I use velcro for cable to stand which is important in case your mic falls to gravity or your whole stand decides to fall over. That is why duct taping your stand legs is important.
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline ozarkbilly

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 01:13:44 AM »
Duct tape.  Check.  Velcro ties.  Check (once I hit up walmart in the morn).

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 01:24:41 AM »
Skip the duct tape and go with gaffers tape instead.  More expensive, but easier to manipulate, doesn't pull off as much of the surface material when removing (if an issue, depends on the surface), and doesn't leave behind nearly as much stick residue.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 01:32:19 AM »
Skip the duct tape and go with gaffers tape instead.  More expensive, but easier to manipulate, doesn't pull off as much of the surface material when removing (if an issue, depends on the surface), and doesn't leave behind nearly as much stick residue.
Good point especially in ole' theaters where us tapers want to be invited back.
PEace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline GrandMasterMark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Hold still my sexy little mule!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 10:26:39 AM »
Firstly, I am certain that I am more newby than you.

Nextly, this may sound obvious to most, but I think you should carry either a 1/8" to 1/4" rca adapter or a cable that does the same. My very limited experience (patching in to record lectures for my business) has taught me that most profession grade sound boards / PA equipment don't have 1/8" jacks.
LIVE MP3s?!? Disclaimer: If you're anything like me, you'll utterly hate how this shit sounds, which is no offense to (names removed), who have been to too many shows with their digital toys to NOT make me feel guilty about not playing better. But like I keep telling them, live music is for listening to live where bodies, surfaces and beer absorb the blemishes, and recorded music, well, that's why you fucking go to a studio to make your records, right? Nevertheless, in the interest of full disclosure, and because some people dig this shit, here's a few nuggets of live joy, some old shit, some new, some borrowed and no goddamn blues, because I'm white and have more respect for BLAH BLah blah

Offline professorhalfbaked

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 11:43:34 AM »
Ear protection if it's going to be loud... :)
What the heck was that for?  Jerk-off...

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 12:04:09 PM »
It sounds like I'm in the same boat with ozarkbilly.  I just ordered a taping rig with my tax return, and it seems like the things that you need to tape just keep piling up.  I purchased an R-09 but after reading through the online user's manual it sounds like it doesn't come with any software, so that was unexpected.  After reading a bunch of posts here I decided to download both CDWave and Audacity since they're both free. 

Here's the list of what I've ordered so far, so please let me know what else I'll need:

Edirol R-09
Church Audio STC-9000 preamp and cartoid mics
Promaster LS-2 9' light/mic stand
The Sound Professionals 12" premium mount for all mini mics
female 3/8" to male 5/8" adapter (for the mic mount to attach to the mic stand)
CDWave
Audacity

I bought the light stand from a local photography store, downloaded CDWave and Audacity, and ordered everything else from the internet.  None of it has arrived yet, but I'm hoping that it'll get here next week so that I can tape a few shows.  A couple of things that I'm still not sure about are mic placement (I'll be taping in the open in small bars) and where to put the R-09 and preamp while taping. 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 12:35:42 PM »
Ear protection if it's going to be loud... :)

Oh, yeah...HUGE add, glad you chimed in phb.  Anyone not worried about their hearing, and even those who are, listen to this:

http://www.transom.org/shows/2003/200310.hearing.html

Pretty strong motivation for me to wear earplugs.  Skip the foam ones, they sound terrible.  Spend a few extra bucks on a pair of ER-20 universal fit earplugs, or if you have the cash to blow, custom molds.  It takes a bit to become accustomed to both the custom molds and ER-20s, but once done - for me, anyway - I find the music actually sounds better with them in.

Whole Taper Chat thread on Hearing News worth skimming, IMO.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 01:09:09 PM »
little Samsonite camera bag that holds the iriver & pre very nicely

EDITED TO ADD:  I plan on 'stealthing' most of the time, not due to high security at most places that I frequent, but more due to the convenience of it.

If you're st**lthing, you'd better start thinking about hat mount as an alternative to the stands.
I also wonder if you plan to strap the bag to your belt while st**lthing? Otherwise, I'd recommend a small sized fanny pack. I'm using a Lowe Alpine Mesa Runner for my UA-5, you could probably make it with an even smaller model...

Good luck!
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.422 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com