Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Topping E2x2 Audio Interface  (Read 1386 times)

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Topping E2x2 Audio Interface
« on: November 01, 2023, 01:40:33 PM »
Topping have released a high performance 2 channel USB-C ADC/DAC with phantom power and headphone output.
Unfortunately more of a desktop product although it do works with a phone but they recommend external power to it.

Retails for $159
https://topping.pro/e2x2/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-e2x2-audio-interface-review.49127/

Offline SMsound

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Topping E2x2 Audio Interface
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 09:05:57 PM »
Interesting. Looks a lot like a slightly discounted Motu M2 but with slightly worse meters (staggered LED's instead of a screen with color bars) and fewer options for outputs to monitors.  I didn't check the ASR spec's against MOTU's -- does it win?

Not something I would put in my pocket to tape shows, but it's a cool box. The 2x2 desktop box market has gotten way, way better in the last couple years.
waves -> bits

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 07:22:49 AM »
it bests the motu in several areas. lower noise floor on the AD side and a much better headphone amp. heck of a value for $160. will be nice to see them evolve into this space.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 06:36:55 PM »
pretty inexpensive way to use your phone for taping

looks cool for $160
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline BlueSky71

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 07:57:07 PM »

looks cool for $160

How would you do that exactly? Through the app?

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 03:40:15 AM »

looks cool for $160

How would you do that exactly? Through the app?

Same as any other class compliant ADC - apogee metarecorder

Offline BlueSky71

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 08:06:50 AM »
TY for the info. I have never done any phone captures. A couple questions.

We are talking about going usb-c out to lightning in my case?
No need to use the Topping app at all if I brought it to the field to try? Just the Apogee?
5v Power harness could be made for the low voltage connector as it would be more secure? or could use the 2nd USB directly?
Just curious on this part, would the phone charge and stay topped up as it would be plugged into a usb?

I have been looking for a headphone amp headphone amp anyways, and for the money this looks like fun with options to test mics on the desk and even be able to easily rig up a mic for zoom calls. I have always liked toppings DAC's even their early ones are outstanding

using it in the field would just be another bonus for a different flavor possibly, maybe not that practical,but maybe not that bad either.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 12:52:30 PM by BlueSky71 »

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 08:42:20 AM »
The Topping will draw power from the connected recording device computer/phone etc unless it is being powered via the usb-c power input.
Then the topping will only draw power via the powered input and the device connected port will turn into a data connection only.

Offline BlueSky71

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 09:48:38 AM »
The Topping will draw power from the connected recording device computer/phone etc unless it is being powered via the usb-c power input.
Then the topping will only draw power via the powered input and the device connected port will turn into a data connection only.

TY that makes sense actually. I thought it would be nice to pass right through. Just gotta be charged for the event and in between sets if its a long event or there are any concerns.

These are only coming from ali right now. with the conversion rate they are 173.15 shipped to US.

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2023, 10:00:13 AM »
TY for the info. I have never done any phone captures. A couple questions.

We are talking about going usb-c out to lightning in my case?
No need to use the Topping app at all if I brought it to the field to try? Just the Apogee?
5v Power harness could be made for the low voltage connector as it would be more secure? or could use the 2nd USB directly?
Just curious on this part, would the phone charge and stay topped up as it would be plugged into a usb?

I have been looking for a headphone amp headphone amp anyways, and for the money this looks like fun with options to test mics on the desk and even be able to easily rig up a mic for zoom calls. I have always liked toppings DAC's even their early ones are outstanding

using it in the field would just be another bonus for a different flavor possibly, maybe not that practical,but maybe not that bad either.
if you need only a headphone amp check out the topping G5 it’s killer portable unit for traveling and connects both via usb or Bluetooth or line in. Tapers best friend when on tour

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2023, 11:19:00 AM »
Looks like a good solution for a low budget rig paired with a phone. Very cool.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com