Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR Card Choice  (Read 5949 times)

Offline Transducer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Edirol R-09HR Card Choice
« on: March 28, 2010, 02:04:24 AM »
Hello,
I need a 16GB card and I'm confused by the "Class 6" etc speed ratings as it applies to my Edirol R-09HR. Does it really pay to shell out for the faster cards? SanDisk has a Class 10 card that costs $60 more than their Class 6. And some cards are labeled "Video". One guy at B&H even said the Edirol actually works better with slower cards. I come from a tape background and can't quite get my head around all this! Thanks

EDIT: Sorry, now I see I should have posted in the Media forum. I must be new around here or something...!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 08:13:46 AM by Transducer »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R-09HR Card Choice
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 11:21:54 AM »
The amount of data (MB/s) you need to write is:  # channels * bit rate * (1 byte/8 bits) * sampling frequency * (1 kB/1024 bytes) * (1 MB/1024 kB).  So at 24 bit 96 kHz, it would be (2 * 24 * 0.125 * 96000)/(1024^2) ~ 0.55 MB/s.  A class 2 card is rated at 2 MB/s, so that should be more than sufficient.  I guess the card might not perform to specification, but the margin there is pretty wide (assuming I did the math right!)...

I recently ordered a class 4 microSD for my PCM-M10 but they sent a class 2 (even though the picture on the web clearly showed class 4, but don't get me started).  I was going to return it, but I figured I should just keep it for my phone and not deal with the hassle for a $20 item.  I tried it in the recorder, though, and it worked great (although at 24/48).

I have also heard that slower cards may be better for recording audio, but I have no idea if that is true...

Offline oudplayer

• Taperssection Newbie
    • musiq.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 02:56:11 PM »
I've found the Transcend class 6 cards to work well with the Edirol R-09HD. I've used 2, 4, and 8gb sizes with no problems whatsoever.

Offline Transducer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 04:31:20 PM »
Thanks guys, very helpful.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 04:40:53 PM »
The actual 'continuous read/write' speed of type 2 or higher is sufficient for most 2-channel audio rates. 

Problems with higher 'rated burst' speeds is continuous audio/video recording does not use burst enhancement features of cards, and sometimes burst features on poorly designed cards can cause recording errors/malfunctions. 

Personally go for Sandisk brand cards for seemingly most reliable, lowest power consumption, and always giving the minimal continuous read/write ratings and not soley '133X+ type' burst ratings described as the only thing that matters by other brands.

See my technical review of this deck for other tips/features at: www.sonicstudios.com/r09hrrev.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com