Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD > AVI ?  (Read 3262 times)

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
DVD > AVI ?
« on: July 19, 2005, 09:29:16 AM »

Can anyone tell me what I need to rip a DVD into AVI?

A friend gave me a video he filmed on the Jamcruise of a show I taped. I'd like to try to sync my audio to his video.

If I could get the DVD into AVI I think I can do the rest. I have VirtualDub which will allow me to sync and TMPGEnc that will combine/encode the video and audio to whatever format I want (provided I have the right codecs installed).

Thanks,
-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline deadhoarse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: DVD > AVI ?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 09:45:46 AM »
You can find a guide to do it here:
http://www.videohelp.com/guides
Select what you need under "Format Conversion". 

To rip video out of a DVD I use a program called ReJig (freeware) to convert the DVD VOB files to a wav and m2v file.  (the m2v file is basically an mpeg without audio)

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 06:42:49 PM »
hmm...seemed like ask the tapers was appropriate..oh well.

I'm not recording anything with a computer.

-e

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 09:21:00 AM »
It would be best to get the mini-dv and that way you can edit from the dv-avi, sync your audio with the camera audio, compress dv-avi with TMPGEnc, author with Encore or DVD-Architect. The process that you speak of will severely hinder the video quality...you are uncompressing, editing, and recompressing. You think that is bad for audio, wait til you see what it does to video. ;)

I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 11:14:37 AM »
It would be best to get the mini-dv and that way you can edit from the dv-avi, sync your audio with the camera audio, compress dv-avi with TMPGEnc, author with Encore or DVD-Architect. The process that you speak of will severely hinder the video quality...you are uncompressing, editing, and recompressing. You think that is bad for audio, wait til you see what it does to video. ;)

Shouldn't I at least be able to extract the exact video that's on the DVD leave it in it's resolution and format? Then use Virtualdub to sync and TMPGEnc to stitch the video and audio together? Why wouldn't TMPGEnc be smart enough to know, if the output format is the same as the input, to not uncompress and recompress?

Again I am an extreme n00b with video. My only exprience is using virtualdub and TMPGEnc to encode AVI's of television shows I download to mpeg-2 so I can burn VCD's.

-e

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 01:50:58 PM »
Ethan - I think the catch is in converting the VOB files back to their native format (mpeg2 video + AC3/PCM/mp2 audio).  Once you're there you can either remux or even just re-author, replacing the audio track with your own.  That way you're not introducing any issues to the video.

There are a million ways to do it - a really easy one is to use TMPGenc DVD author.  On the source setup page, click add dvd video, select your stuff and then let the app copy the files to the hard drive.

There's another app called DVD2AVI that you might find easy.  You don't need fancy tools since the DVD is not encrypted.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 01:29:40 PM »
He doesn't have to recompress the video.  He can simply extract the audio and video, and reauthor with new audio.  As long as the video stays in dvd mpeg format, the authoring program won't re-encode it.
Is that different than what I said?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 01:57:59 PM »
He doesn't have to recompress the video.  He can simply extract the audio and video, and reauthor with new audio.  As long as the video stays in dvd mpeg format, the authoring program won't re-encode it.
Is that different than what I said?

I didn't read your post before posting.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 12:36:28 PM »
Sure, you can demux/remux and add your audio, but you can cause more problems than solve. Your 'new' audio bitrate will be limited too depending on the video bitrate and the audio compression used in the first place (if any). AC3 and mp2 compress the hell out of audio...I always use PCM...it hogs the DVD bandwidth (1500+kbps), but at least it sounds good and I can control the video bitrate as well. Your new audio will have to be the same as what it already on the DVD, whether it be mp2, ac3, pcm, etc. Me thinks you will be forced to use mp2 unless you reauthor which will then recompress the video...much like going from mp3 > wav > mp3. That is why I recommended starting fresh from the DV tapes (if that is an option). Less headaches and you have 100% control of everything whether you want to maximize the audio or the video. Also, I have always been told to never use TMPGEnc to do audio (unless using PCM). Use it strictly for video.

Here is the lineage I use for video: DV > Vegas (Capture DV-AVI) > Vegas (sync new audio with old) > Remove Old Audio > Render to new DV-AVI (with remastered audio) > Print to tape for archive > TMPGEnc > Manually calculate video and audio bitrates for best results (I always use PCM audio) > Render to m2v and wav > Author.

Just make sure you are prepared and have plenty of HD space and LOTS of time. Rendering in TMPGEnc should take about 10 hours per hour of video using custom bitrate doing 2 passes. You will fill 100gigs before you know it with a 2 set show when working with DV-AVI's.

Good Luck. There are many different ways to do it. This is what I have found to produce the best results and also be the best for me. YMMV.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 03:39:58 PM »
Sure, you can demux/remux and add your audio, but you can cause more problems than solve. Your 'new' audio bitrate will be limited too depending on the video bitrate and the audio compression used in the first place (if any).

In the rare case where someone has maxed out the combined bitrate at 9800 yes, but that's not likely.

Your new audio will have to be the same as what it already on the DVD, whether it be mp2, ac3, pcm, etc.

why?  If you're re-authoring from elemental streams, you simply replace the audio with whatever format you want (video is untouched)

Me thinks you will be forced to use mp2 unless you reauthor which will then recompress the video...much like going from mp3 > wav > mp3. That is why I recommended starting fresh from the DV tapes (if that is an option). Less headaches and you have 100% control of everything whether you want to maximize the audio or the video. Also, I have always been told to never use TMPGEnc to do audio (unless using PCM). Use it strictly for video.

True, this is a limitation of tmpgenc mpeg2 encoding.  But nothing stops you from using a straight PCM wave file when you author (just has to be at 48k)

Here is the lineage I use for video: DV > Vegas (Capture DV-AVI) > Vegas (sync new audio with old) > Remove Old Audio > Render to new DV-AVI (with remastered audio) > Print to tape for archive > TMPGEnc > Manually calculate video and audio bitrates for best results (I always use PCM audio) > Render to m2v and wav > Author.

hmmm...making the task harder then it needs to be.  The mpeg2 compression built into Vegas is excellent and much faster than tmpgenc (subject to opinion of course).  Also avoids any colorspace/codec issues (which are poorly understood by most).  Vegas also handles audio beautifully.  I have done bit comparisons of audio input and output and Vegas doesn't touch the audio unless you ask it to i.e. fades, gain changes.  Just output elemental streams and author away!

Just make sure you are prepared and have plenty of HD space and LOTS of time. Rendering in TMPGEnc should take about 10 hours per hour of video using custom bitrate doing 2 passes. You will fill 100gigs before you know it with a 2 set show when working with DV-AVI's.

That's the truth!
KM 184 > V2 > R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com