Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVI/HDMI, Component, & VGA [Overscan]  (Read 3086 times)

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
DVI/HDMI, Component, & VGA [Overscan]
« on: February 06, 2005, 05:28:44 PM »
Cable/DVD: DVI/HDMI vs. Component?
PC: DVI vs. Component ?

If an HDMI connection is present, does it automatically playback an audio signal, can a separate SPDIF connection override the HDMI-audio (I would assume more advanced processors would have a feature for turning HDMI audio on/off)?

PC-to-TV & overscan.  It's my understanding that whether the PC-to-TV connection is DVI or VGA>Component, the only solution to get the most accurate resolution and to avoid overscan is with additional software (PowerStrip) and to correspond the PC's resolution settings to the television. 

Thanks for any input...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 09:14:29 PM by 19lb Gordon »

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: DVI, HDMI, Component, & VGA [Overscan]
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 08:54:45 AM »
While choosing the correct display should not rest on which connections it has I understand. I would choose a display that you feel gives the best PQ and as long as it has digital connections for video (DVI or HDMI) I wouldn't worry about it.  You can always use a HDMI>DVI cable, but then must back suer the DVD player can pass BTB through this cable termination difference.  HDMI will probably out live DVI as it allows greater bandwidth. 

I don't use a PC so I'm not worried there....sorry

SC

Offline taylorc

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 09:07:30 PM »
HDMI will probably out live DVI as it allows greater bandwidth. 

I haven't tested an HDMI connection.  Any idea if it automatically passes an audio signal or if its selectable?  Preference would be HDMI-vid and SPDIF-aud.

If I'm not mistaken, judging by some old threads, you and I have been watching some of the same gear - SP1000 & AVM30/D1.  I'm interested to see what the D1 is capable of with HDMI I/O.  Not sure about the component vs. HDMI/DVI argument.  If I read correctly, the pitch for HDMI was that it replaces the Digi>Analog>Digi connection one gets with component, and skips the jump to analog and back.

As noted, you're not in the PC>TV department, but component has been stated to be more stable than DVI.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 09:14:08 PM »
Yes and I'm still waiting on the Onkyo.  Been talking with Mr. Oade about it and it still has some lip sync problems.  I'm not tossing $1600 into a player that has such a serious issue.  I may end up going with the 3910 and Cambridge Audio Azur 640c or Music Hall CD25.

I've heard that some get audio through the tv when going HDMI in so they must mute it as they also have the digi coax connected to the receiver.

Component may be more stable over the long runs (unless running fiber optic DVI cables at $1K), but with my fixed pixel display (DLP), running in at 720P (1:1 mapping) does offer a better pic from what I have seen.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DVI/HDMI, Component, & VGA [Overscan]
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 10:31:55 PM »
if you can live without sacd in your dvd player, get the arcam dv-27a.  better than the current dv29 and cheaper since it's been discontinued

Offline taylorc

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 11:19:32 PM »
Been running a Denon 2200 for over a year now.  Works well for DVD's & commercially released DVD-A/SACD's.  Sucks @zz with DVD-R's.  Never once listened to a show from start to finish without "No Play" popping up after about one & a half to two hours.  Contacting Denon Tech Support is no simple task.  End rant.  :)

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 11:51:53 AM »
if you can live without sacd in your dvd player, get the arcam dv-27a.  better than the current dv29 and cheaper since it's been discontinued

I'm sure it is great with redbook.  However, it does not have 1) SACD, 2) video upconversion, and 3) no digital video out.

sc.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 11:58:45 AM »
trust me, the component video from the arcam is ridiculous. 

the newer dv29 has hdmi out and i think the dv27a looks better.  the 27a also has the silicon image chip though...

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 04:41:58 PM »
Like I said I'm sure it is, but keeping the signal in the digital domain all the way to the display really benefits the DLP FP.  They 27a is also $2K, and I don't wnat to go with a player of this cost, $1600 is kinda pushing it.  I'll try and take one home from my dealer once I find a player I like and will take screen shots to show the difference and discuss what I see in a component vs. DVI/HDMI comp.

BTW Scott, nice pull on 2/2/05!
SC
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 06:20:45 PM by scervin »

Offline scb

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 09:14:45 AM »

i have a dlp and am loving the component in from the dv27a, but you're right.  it's not cheap.  i only got it because the dealer screwed up in my favor when he sold me it.  the quote he gave me for a dv27a was actually the price of a lower priced (non FMJ) arcam unit.  but when he realized it (after i said i'd buy at that price, i was a fool not to) he actually stuck to the lower price. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com