Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Confused: Beyerdynamic MC930 vs CK930  (Read 7984 times)

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
Confused: Beyerdynamic MC930 vs CK930
« on: February 24, 2011, 04:11:45 PM »
Hi, looking to upgrade my (stealth)rig with maybe some Beyer Dynamics.

I listened to recordings made with MC930. Can those be in any way compared to the CK930 (cards and active) mics?

http://www.studio-guys.nl/microphones-condensers-small-membrane-c-129_161.html

Correct me if i am wrong, but these CK930 are twice the price? (you need 2 right?) CK930 would suite my wish for stealth mics more than MC930 as they are smaller.

Hope someone can tell me which mics are better for my situation.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: Confused: Beyerdynamic MC930 vs CK930
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 04:20:09 PM »

I listened to recordings made with MC930. Can those be in any way compared to the CK930 (cards and active) mics?

Correct me if i am wrong, but these CK930 are twice the price? (you need 2 right?) CK930 would suite my wish for stealth mics more than MC930 as they are smaller.

yes they are essentially the same, yes they are twice the price and yes you would need 2.

The only real difference is the CK model allows separation of capsule from the body by means of a remote cable.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 04:21:21 PM »

Yeah, the CK930 are more expensive.  Also, MC930 stereo set is matched, and comes with shocks, windscreens, etc.

I've got the MC930 set and am very happy with it.  Others may disagree, but for me this was  the right choice.  I will use another setup for stealth taping anyway, so the compactness of the CK930 is not worth the extra.  I would recommend the CK930 in cases where you are either stealth recording, or where you need to get way up front or in the line of sight, eg., for a rig installed or clamped way up close to the stage.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 05:12:22 PM »
Thanks a lot for clearing that up!  ::)

Apart from the sound, these ck930 mics seems interesting because I 'might' could do without some sort of preamp. I noticed rigs putting CK930 straight into a Marantz660/661 or edirol R4.

Do you agree, or will I probably need a pre still?

I have not decided yet on a recorder, but i tend to go for Marantz 660/661 or anything with a reported good preamp. Will it work good with a Edirol r9 aswell?

Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 05:15:14 PM »
660/661 and R4 have built in preamps, so yes they would be fine.

R09 does not, so no - you will need some sort of preamp or battery box to supply power to the microphones.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:33:52 PM »
R09 does not, so no - you will need some sort of preamp or battery box to supply power to the microphones.

On that note, to the OP:

don't forget about the bodies. Many of us won't care as we aren't stealth taping so concealing gear isn't as big of an issue, but in this case if you can gain some space it might be of interest. You're going to end up doing mic caps > bodies > recorder w/ Phantom power or caps > bodies > pre-amp > recorder without power. You can do caps > special pre-amp > recorder and knock out the bodies, but few pre-amps can do this and it's not without a price. Talk to Jon (user mshilarious here) about his box/pre-amp for a set of beyer ck9xx caps which I think is the cheapest option that will (a "lemosax" will as well if you are careful about the cable wiring.)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 03:12:08 AM »
Allright, let me see if i get this, these CK930, don't have bodies right?

http://www.thomann.de/nl/beyerdynamic_ck_930_3_8_set.htm and http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/mp/microphones/vocals-and-instruments/drums/ck-930-3-8-set.html

Quote:
BEYERDYNAMIC CK 930 3/8"-Set, real condenser microphone with separate preamp, cardioid, 40 - 20.000 Hz, switchable Pad -15 dB, switchable Low Cut on 250 Hz, different application possible as speach, Studio-instrumental application, hanging microphone with many different accessoires, 140 dB SPL max., length of cable 3 meter, Set contains CK 930 condenser capsule, CV 900 preamp, cable MVK 900 and clamp MVK 900.

I am hoping that i put this straight into a Marantz/Edirol type recorder and off we go.. (option 1)

Or, put it in a preamp and then to a Edirol r9 (smaller recorder without preamp in general) (option 2)

Option 3 is the MC930, but not really an option as stealthing will be primairy use.

When these are the correct options, the obvious next search for me will be for preamps. To see if a preamp will add quality and/or knock off some of the total price (cheap recorder + preamp = price of a Marantz..???), all in relation to the 'comfort' while stealthtaping - less stuff is better ;)

Thanks a lot sofar  ::)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 08:54:34 AM »
Allright, let me see if i get this, these CK930, don't have bodies right?

Those come w/ bodies (cv900) (as expected)

But yes, order 2 and youll be ready as per your options stated.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:56:37 AM by page »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 09:24:18 AM »
To see if a preamp will add quality and/or knock off some of the total price (cheap recorder + preamp = price of a Marantz..???)

A good preamp will add significant quality, but it will most definitely not DROP the price.  If you're low-pro/stealth almost always I would look into getting a 661 and just do a simple CK930->661 rig.  Small, lightweight and it will sound nice.  Stock preamps are not bad on the 661, and you can always look into getting the deck modded by Doug Oade or Busman later on if you feel they are lacking.

If it were me I would go the "all in one" route, particularly for ease and convenience.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 10:53:28 AM »
To see if a preamp will add quality and/or knock off some of the total price (cheap recorder + preamp = price of a Marantz..???)

A good preamp will add significant quality, but it will most definitely not DROP the price.  If you're low-pro/stealth almost always I would look into getting a 661 and just do a simple CK930->661 rig.  Small, lightweight and it will sound nice.  Stock preamps are not bad on the 661, and you can always look into getting the deck modded by Doug Oade or Busman later on if you feel they are lacking.

If it were me I would go the "all in one" route, particularly for ease and convenience.

I think Jason does that a lot, I can't remember if his is modded or not, but he's happy with the setup.

If the measurements of the 661 plus about 4"x2"x1" (two bodies side by side) is too much, than the tinybox is the next option, say, maybe with an M10 or R09? If you get a recorder which isn't "professional" make sure you keep the output in mind (aprox 32 mv/pa); some recorders overload earlier than others, and I don't use much gain on my 722 which takes a hot signal. The M10 should be fine, but I can't remember what the limits are on the R09HR (you may not need any gain, just power).

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »

I think Jason does that a lot, I can't remember if his is modded or not, but he's happy with the setup.

If the measurements of the 661 plus about 4"x2"x1" (two bodies side by side) is too much, than the tinybox is the next option, say, maybe with an M10 or R09? If you get a recorder which isn't "professional" make sure you keep the output in mind (aprox 32 mv/pa); some recorders overload earlier than others, and I don't use much gain on my 722 which takes a hot signal. The M10 should be fine, but I can't remember what the limits are on the R09HR (you may not need any gain, just power).

Yes, I do run my CK930's (with mic bodies), directly into the Marantz PMD-661 (and mine has the Oade Concert mod).  In general, I'm very happy with the setup.  It sounds great, is nice and compact, and I don't have a lot of extra boxes/interconnects/etc in the bag.  While I'm very happy with the setup, I do prefer to use an external pre-amp.  For "big shows" (aka Phish), I'm lucky that there are many tapers in the Boston area that will let me borrow gear.  I've now run the CK930's with V3 > AD2K, with just a V3, and with a Sonosax SX-M2.  All have sounded great, and IMO "better" than just the internal PMD-661.  but I do think that the differences are relatively minor, and I'm very happy with the CK930 > PMD-661 combo.  Look for examples from 2009-2010 in the Club d'Elf section of the Live Music Archive.

one other consideration that hasn't been talked about is battery life.  Using 4 internal NiMH AA's on the PMD-661, with phantom power, I get around 4 hours of runtime, which is plenty for any normal show.  but if you do festivals or need more runtime, you might want to consider a littlebox or tinybox, or some external pre-amp that can provide +12 or +20V phantom power.  The CK930's will take anything from +12 - +48 V, and when running portable gear, it is certainly more effecient (i.e. you'll get longer run times) if you can run at lower voltages.  And the performance of the CK930's won't suffer at all.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 12:12:44 PM »
Yeah, I was just going to mention the Naiant tinybox.  If it sounds anything like the littlebox (I'm sure it does), it will sound very good, and it is very small and inexpensive.  Tinybox for under $200 and Sony M10 for ~$220 will be less than a 661 and will be much smaller as well. 

I can't argue that in stealth situations it might be easier to be running only one box, but the tinybox+m10 combo would be smaller and cheaper, and my bet would sound better, or at least as good (unless you get the Oade mod for the 661 -- which is probably a good option for the price).  Plus if you get the ck930's, iirc I think you can get the tinybox set up to provide capsule polarization and allow you to skip the mic bodies entirely.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 12:55:20 PM »
Plus if you get the ck930's, iirc I think you can get the tinybox set up to provide capsule polarization and allow you to skip the mic bodies entirely.

If I was getting a tinybox for mine, it's the only way I'd want to run it. To me, it's not a feature, it's the feature.  ;D

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 03:02:06 PM »
Thanks a lot for the responses, it is really gonna be a choice between 'big and easy' and 'small and hassle' :)

1. CK930 3/8 Set + PMD 661

or, suggested

2. Ck930 3/8 Set + Naiant tinybox + Sony M10

I am located in Europe, so i can't go for the Oade mods (atleast, it will cost more, alternative shipment etc.). In reading the comments there is no real need too anyway (yet). With that in mind now, i feel most for the big and easy route.

Few extra questions:
I might be able to get a PMD 670 secondhand for nice price? Would that be a wise decision (PMD 670 instead of 661), especially for this situation? PMD670 is bigger, but smaller and the levels look like they are on a better place, for stealthtapers that is.

I asked Jon from Naiant for more info. Thanks for pointing to him. Is the Denecke PS2 an alternative?

Quote:
"I think you can get the tinybox set up to provide capsule polarization and allow you to skip the mic bodies entirely".

What?? What is capsule polarization?
What mic bodies? You mean the CV 900 preamp that is at the end of the cable? Can you take those off?  :o

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »
Quote:
"I think you can get the tinybox set up to provide capsule polarization and allow you to skip the mic bodies entirely".

What?? What is capsule polarization?
What mic bodies? You mean the CV 900 preamp that is at the end of the cable? Can you take those off?  :o

the mic bodies that I mentioned refer to the CV 900 pre-amp.  The tinybox (or the littlebox) can provide +48 polarization voltage to power the CK930 caps directly.  With that setup, you wouldn't need the CV900 mic bodies.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.193 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com