Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sample Rate Conversion from 48 > 44.1 in Audacity?  (Read 10648 times)

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
Sample Rate Conversion from 48 > 44.1 in Audacity?
« on: November 20, 2006, 10:13:50 PM »
SSIA.  Anyone?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 01:10:25 AM by deanlambrecht »
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline rdflash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
Re: Dither from 48 > 44.1 in Audacity?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 11:04:19 PM »
select all.

"project rate" in bottom left of computer screen.

should be on 48, then select 44.1
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 11:25:56 PM »
select all.

"project rate" in bottom left of computer screen.

should be on 48, then select 44.1

Actually, do this:

1. Select All.

2. Click the down arrow on the stereo audio file, click "set rate."

3. Choose 44100
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline rdflash

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 11:41:03 PM »
whats the diff??

I do it both ways...

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 11:50:48 PM »
Well, upon reading the Audacity help page, there really isn't any difference.  Whoops.

So, Dean, take your pick.  :)
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline rdflash

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 11:52:58 PM »
Well, upon reading the Audacity help page, there really isn't any difference.  Whoops.

Oh ok, good, I thought I was doing something wrong again lol

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: Resample from 48 > 44.1 in Audacity?
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 12:03:54 AM »

Audacity's Help file leaves a bit to be desired.  There is a difference.  The Set Rate option only impacts playback and doesn't change the samples themselves, whereas the Project Rate actually results in sample rate conversion.

Try it (I just did using Audacity 1.2.4):  using Set Rate to change from 48 kHz to 44.1 kHz will produce a 48 kHz file (check in WAV properties via Windows or some such) that simply plays back at 44.1 kHz, and as such will sound slow since the samples are still at 48 kHz.  But using Project Rate will actually perform the sample rate conversion to 44.1 kHz and therefore play back at proper speed.

FWIW, 24-bit workflow for Audacity:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=71191.0

Edit to add:  Oh, and going from 48 kHz to 44.1 kHz is called sample rate conversion or resampling.  Dithering is one mechanism by which one converts from a higher bit-depth to a lower bit-depth, e.g. 24-bit > 16-bit.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 12:19:24 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 12:48:48 AM »
Hey, +T to all 3 of you.  Thanks for your quick assistance.

A related question that's Mac related.  So I resampled down to 44.1, exported, then popped the tracks into xACT to fix sbe's.  Said it didn't find any errors.  I haven't had that happen before.  Anything to worry about?

Thanks again!!
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 01:08:58 AM »
OK, sorry to bump a way old thread, but I had to check it to reconfirm, and when changing the sample rate conversion it causes another odd, Mac related issue.  I'm hoping Patrick can help with this one.

So, I've changed rate from 48 > 44, then make my wav's.  Then I pop 'em into xACT to fix sbe's.  However, it doesn't find any sbe's.  What gives with that and is it a problem for any reason?

TIA!

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 01:25:02 AM »
OK, sorry to bump a way old thread, but I had to check it to reconfirm, and when changing the sample rate conversion it causes another odd, Mac related issue.  I'm hoping Patrick can help with this one.

So, I've changed rate from 48 > 44, then make my wav's.  Then I pop 'em into xACT to fix sbe's.  However, it doesn't find any sbe's.  What gives with that and is it a problem for any reason?

TIA!

Whenever I track with Audacity, I always have SBE's to fix.  What does xACT say when you try and fix them?  I guess if the "nothing is wrong, no need to fix" message comes up, you're good.  But again, I have never seen this when tracking in Audacity.  What version are you running?

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 02:00:51 AM »

TIA!

Whenever I track with Audacity, I always have SBE's to fix.  What does xACT say when you try and fix them?  I guess if the "nothing is wrong, no need to fix" message comes up, you're good.  But again, I have never seen this when tracking in Audacity.  What version are you running?

I'm running 1.2.5.  The xACT output message/pop up says: 
shntool [fix]: warning: no shift direction specified - assuming backward shift
shntool [fix]: error: everything seems fine, no need for fixing

I'll burn to cd and see if it plays.  Seems like I'm good to go, though...

Thanks, and I'll let you know the results.  Another T your way in 12.

Cheers,
Dean

Offline taylordb

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 06:08:15 AM »

TIA!

You shouldn't get any SBE's when tracking in Audacity if you do the following before you start:
View > Set Selection Format > cdda min:sec; frames 75fps
Edit >Snap-to > Snap-to On

That way you are always snapping to the exact edge of a frame sector boundry.  You should always do this when cutting a piece out as well.

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 09:05:38 AM »

TIA!

You shouldn't get any SBE's when tracking in Audacity if you do the following before you start:

That way you are always snapping to the exact edge of a frame sector boundry.  You should always do this when cutting a piece out as well.

Thanks!

Is this on a Mac, I presume?  Also, what other effects would this process have on the wav?

And when you say I should repeat it when cutting a piece of the wav, how do you mean that?  If I do that process at the beginning of the work, would I need to redo it after each cut?

edit:  fat fingers
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 01:53:43 PM by deanlambrecht »

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 12:22:10 PM »

TIA!

I knew there was a way to do this but I was never sure (read: too lazy) to find out how to fix it.  I have just been so set in my way of tracking in Audacity and then fixing SBE's in xACT.

So, thanks for the info!

Dean,

If you are getting that display, I guess you have nothing to worry about, unless there is something wrong with xACT (VERY unlikely).  Burn a CD and see if you have clicks between tracks, then you'll know something is wrong.

T's all around.

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
Re: Sample Rate Conversion from 48 > 44.1 in Audacity?
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 02:09:30 PM »
Damn, there's some weird problem with the recording.  It starts the first 2 seconds of the next track on the end of the previous track.  Then it starts it over when it gets to the actual track.   ???

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com