Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR-1  (Read 138250 times)

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
Re: Korg MR-1
« Reply #285 on: August 10, 2007, 03:03:34 AM »
battery wise, got one of these, run it ~4 hours and only used 1/2 of life: http://www.global-batteries.com/product_info.php/cPath/10/products_id/1335?osCsid=aab83b43e1d45336a6aeda462faa8b26
as found earlier in this thread...

took a week from CA to arrive, no complaints

Offline desertsky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #286 on: August 11, 2007, 03:41:37 PM »
I've just added a How To Guide for creating DSD Discs using Korg MR-1/MR-1000 DSD recordings in the Computer Recording Help forum.. 

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,89333.0.html

DPA 4061's, MMA6000 pre, Korg-MR2

Offline richardl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #287 on: August 11, 2007, 04:07:48 PM »
I've just added a How To Guide for creating DSD Discs using Korg MR-1/MR-1000 DSD recordings in the Computer Recording Help forum.. 

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,89333.0.html

Thanks. That's a really thorough write up. It's too bad there's no known way to burn your own SACDs with these recordings.

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #288 on: August 12, 2007, 04:34:34 PM »
Looking at the pictures from Nick the hard drive looks as if it is exactly the same as this:

http://www.productshub.com/Hitachi-Travelstar-C4K60-HTC426020G5CE00/

which you can replace it with this:

http://www.sandisk.com/Oem/Default.aspx?CatID=1478

That's about a $500 upgrade - but I'm sure the price to will drop. If it's about half the price it's worth upgrading. Having a 32GB solid state (SSD) drive in the portable recorder would be great.

Now you can get a 64GB
http://www.sandisk.com/OEM/ProductCatalog(1320)-SanDisk_SSD_UATA_5000_18.aspx

Anyone know if the above is compatible and if so is it an easy exchange? What's the difference between SATA and UATA? I guess the MR-1 can take any 1.8" SSD drive in any capacity at long as it is 1.8"?

Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline richardl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #289 on: August 12, 2007, 06:19:58 PM »
Now you can get a 64GB
http://www.sandisk.com/OEM/ProductCatalog(1320)-SanDisk_SSD_UATA_5000_18.aspx

Anyone know if the above is compatible and if so is it an easy exchange? What's the difference between SATA and UATA? I guess the MR-1 can take any 1.8" SSD drive in any capacity at long as it is 1.8"?

I think UATA is Ultra ATA or Ultra Parallel ATA. I believe this is a different protocol from SATA or Serial ATA.

But that Travelstar drive which is reportedly the original OEM drive MR-1 is also UATA. So in theory you could just swap in one of these SanDisk UATA SSD "drives".

Let us know how it works.   ;)

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #290 on: August 13, 2007, 10:43:22 AM »
This is good news, as it should increase runtime using the internal. The 16gb & 32gb models are up on newegg. I can only wonder what the 64gb will cost  :o .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=+SSD+UATA+&x=14&y=37

Edit: I found this in a review of the 32gb:

Cons: Only one, and it could be a show-stopper to some. The 1.8" form factor package is a "fat" package: there is a bulge on the back of the unit that increases the thickness to double that of the single-platter MK2004GAL drive. This means that any device that has an inflexible opening for the original drive will NOT be able to use this SSD. The NEC Versa LitePad has just enough "play" in the disk compartment and the 50 pin connector to accept this package and still operate, although it does require some "stuffing" to keep the drive seated while moving it about.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:49:07 AM by larrysellers »

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #291 on: August 16, 2007, 04:50:05 PM »

I can't seem to install the Audiogate software on my new Windows Vista machine.  Anyone else having this trouble?

Occasionally....music mics record

Offline richardl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2007, 07:24:49 PM »
I've not had any trouble with either 1.0 or the updated version 1.0.1 of AudioGate under Vista (32-bit). Korg claims 1.0.1 is slightly modified for improved compatibility under Vista.

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #293 on: August 17, 2007, 02:18:07 PM »
Recording magazine has the MR-1 on the cover..
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 09:48:12 PM by campbrs »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline desertsky

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #295 on: August 24, 2007, 11:42:38 AM »
A word of advice for MR-1 owners...  Have a small paperclip in your pocket when out recording gigs with your MR-1.  You just might need it one of these days.
I found out the hard way last night that the MR-1 firmware is randomly prone to going completely FUBAR for no apparent reason, leaving you unable to record or even shut down the unit.   Turns out having a paperclip would have saved the day. 

Here's what happened..

I had planned to tape a light jazz concert last night.  I set up my equipment 1/2 hour before the show.  Hooked up the mics, external power supply and preamp.  Powered up the MR-1 and made sure everything was ok.  Even started recording to make sure I was getting signals to both L and R.  Everything checked out.  Ready for a night of taping jazz.  So I powered down and went to my seat.  About 10 minutes before the opening act, I powered up the MR-1.  It booted up fine.  I hit the record button and NOTHING.  The red recording LED didn't come on as usual.  On the Level Meter screen there was an error message.  Can't remember the exact message but it said something to the effect of there not being a file available.  Strange, hadn't seen that before.  Went into the menus.  Everything was set correctly.  So I decided maybe it just needed a reboot.  I try to shut down the unit and get this error message "Cannot execute function" with an option to Exit.  I select Exit with the P-dial.  All I get is a blank screen with the backlight on.  No menus, error messages, nothing.  Just a blank screen.  The unit is FUBAR at this point.  Everytime I'd try to shut down I'd get the same "Cannot execute function" error.  I waited several minutes hoping the unit might auto power down on its own.  Nope.  At this point getting the opening act recorded was out the window, so I waited an hour and tried again during the break before the main act.  No dice.  So I gave up at that point and just enjoyed the show.  My big concern was that the hard drive had died.  I'd have to send the unit in for repair and not be able to tape for several days.  So I get home from the concert.  Still unable to power down the MR-1.  I noticed the tiny hole on the right side just below the volume buttons.  A hard reset switch?  I found a small paperclip, straightened it out and stuck it in the hole.  It powered down!  Powered it back up and it booted up fine.  I tried recording and it worked.  So I'm pretty sure the glitch was with the firmware, not the hard drive.  I even hooked up the MR-1 to my PC and ran a disk check against the hard drive.  No errors found.  So I'm at a loss to explain how this happened.  I've recorded quite a few times since I bought the MR-1 a couple months ago and never had any glitches like this until now.   Fortunately last night was a jazz concert that I REALLY didn't need to tape since I'm not really into jazz that much.  I'm so used to taping rock concerts that I thought I'd try recording something different for a change and see how the MR-1 does with big band instruments and piano.  Now if this would have been the Smashing Pumpkins concert that I'll be taping in a couple weeks or another band I really wanted to tape, I would have been FUMING last night and just about ready to toss the MR-1 under a bus.  :)

If someone from Korg is reading this, any idea what might have caused this to happen??  I've always been careful with the MR-1 knowing a hard drive is inside.  I didn't drop or shake the MR-1 prior to my attempt to start recording last night, so I would rule out the hard drive especially since it now seems to be working fine and the disk error check in Windows came up with nothing.  The only other thought was perhaps heat-related.  It's HOT here in Phoenix, temps getting up to near 110.  The MR-1 was subjected to 107 degree heat for about 15 minutes walking from the parking garage to the venue, but it was dusk, covered by my shirt and not being directly hit by the sun.  Even if it had heated up during those 15 minutes, it had plenty time to cool down once I got inside.  When I set up the recorder 1/2 hour before the show, it didn't seem warm at all and it was working fine at that point.  It was 20 minutes later when it started acting up.  I'll try to see if I can recreate the problem, but knowing Murphy's Laws, this issue probably won't crop up again until I'm ready to start taping a future show.  If this is a bug in the firmware, I hope Korg can figure out the cause and get a fix out.  From now on, I'm making sure I have a paperclip in one of my pockets just in case this happens again.  I really hope this is not something that would crop up while the unit is in the middle of recording a show.  Before I start recording, I can deal with it as long as I have a paperclip.  If this happens during recording, BAD.   

I'm curious, why isn't the hard power down switch mentioned in the MR-1 manual?  I see it pictured in one of the diagrams, but there's no reference to it anywhere in the manual.  Yes, in a perfect world no one should ever have to use that recessed switch to power down their MR-1 as the shut down slider button should do this everytime.  But as I found out last night, there are still a few kinks to work out in the firmware that could keep the MR-1 from shutting down normally.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:35:58 PM by desertsky »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #296 on: August 25, 2007, 07:35:34 AM »
I've had similar strange occurances....*but...., *
this was only when the internal MR1 battery was super drained.  When it is real low, it makes the deck behaive strangely, and you can't shut it down.  Its almost frightning.
that is even w/an external battery plugged in !!

once the unit is fully charged again, then it runs like a top.
thats what happened to me...but YMMV

Offline desertsky

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #297 on: August 25, 2007, 09:30:02 AM »
Both the internal and external batteries were fully charged when mine went haywire.  I tried and tried to recreate it yesterday.  Works like a champ now.  Really weird.  I was recording thunderstorms and other nature sounds when I was at the summer cabin last week.  Not a single hiccup the entire week.  But I get into town and it decides to do this 10 minutes before a concert.  What timing!  I hope the engineers at Korg can get to the bottom of it, if they haven't already, and get this fixed in the next firmware upgrade.  This should be a top priority.  When you hit the record button, it should start recording 99% of the time, basic operation. Unless the battery is run down or the disk space is too low.  Not giving error messages and refusing to even boot down.  At least I know now about the hard power down button in case this occurs again.  But again, I'm concerned about something like this occuring during recording. 

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #298 on: August 25, 2007, 08:52:30 PM »
take my cash and sell me bugs

shame upon you korg,

the great dragon has been awakened and alerted of this mess.
dragon to restore order . 

g

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #299 on: August 26, 2007, 11:09:23 AM »
take my cash and sell me bugs

shame upon you korg,

the great dragon has been awakened and alerted of this mess.
dragon to restore order . 

Maybe you could mention the microtrack to the dragon...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com