Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR-1  (Read 138395 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Korg MR-1
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2007, 02:34:39 PM »
I posted my result of the test I did to find out who's the culprit in the link above.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 04:28:29 PM by scyue »
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2007, 04:27:57 PM »
New firmware for MR-1

Version 1.0.1

http://www.korg.co.jp/Support/Download/Update/MR-1/win.html

Anyone here understand Japanese?
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P

Offline jerrythek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2007, 09:57:41 PM »
New firmware for MR-1

Version 1.0.1

This new release fixes a small bug that caused the system clock to not keep accurate time. A small but needed fix. It's not related to your other issues. See my post in that thread for more info.

Regards,

Jerry

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2007, 12:08:38 PM »
Can you tell me the link for the US download?

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Korg MR-1 battery
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2007, 12:28:23 PM »
Today I tried recording at 1bit and the internal battery lasted for about 2 hr 30 mins after a full charge.

That sounds promising. Am I right in thinking the MR1's internal rechargeable cell will have the same short lifespan that the battery in my Microtrack has?  I'm looking at having that recorder's battery replaced, but am also feeling the urge to upgrade, possibly to the MR1.  Why these devices can't have user-replaceable batteries is beyond me ...

Yes, I have a 4AA-cell pack with USB connector, but I'd really like to keep the extra boxes/cables to a minimum, considering I'm already carrying a box to power the mics.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2007, 07:37:22 PM »
New firmware for MR-1

Version 1.0.1

This new release fixes a small bug that caused the system clock to not keep accurate time. A small but needed fix. It's not related to your other issues. See my post in that thread for more info.

Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,
Maybe you can let Korg know about this, too?

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,81258.msg1080592.html#msg1080592

Thanks!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Korg MR-1 (in the field)
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2007, 09:57:29 PM »
I've had this thing out for 3 excursions in the last week or so.  I thought I'd post my thoughts.
I'm coming from using an R9 for the last few months.  I'm familiar w/the sound at all of its resolutions.

My first outing was an on stage recording, mastered in DSD and brought straight to redbook.  imo, its uncanny.

my 2nd outing was not the best.  also DSD mastered and processed as above.  just a poor location in the venue.  nothing wrong w/it.  it recorded what I heard but its nothing to wow about.

my 3rd outing (last night) came out completely awesome.  3D sounding...and get this, I mastered at 16/44 (by mistake...seems it "reset" itself after my last use.)...and it is still a very solid sounding recording, despite using the decks least capabilities in A/D.   So far, I like it much better than the R9, which I also was quite happy with.  The Korg just sounds a little more natural, things really image better w/the DSD resolution.   Maybe its my psyche affect, convincing myself that this $700 shiny thing really is an upgrade over the deck that I enjoyed (and costs 1/2 as much).  I'm going to be doing some head to heads with them.  I do honestly think it sounds yards better...but this is initial work thus far.  I've got a few more shows coming up.  some big, some small ...some tight, some far field.  We'll see what she has in her.
:-)
as I think i mentioned previously, I'm powering it with a power runner PR2-E which outputs amperage in the double digits at 5v.  I have no idea how long this will power it, but I can foresee that I'm safe for my power requirements (which seldom go beyond 5 hours).

its easy to use.  fires up super fast and is ready to roll in 2 seconds, give or take 1.
while its rolling, you can go into the menu and adjust levels. Everything seems to be very intuitive.  Getting the files off of the unit w/the USB cable (the only option) is a bit strange as you have to tell the deck that its in USB mode, and then tell it that your finished so you can uplug it safely.  not very USB like, imo.  I"m used to just yankin' cables.  But since they (korg) went to the trouble of adding this to the menu and a big warning on the screen when set...I will respect that.

Playback sounds very good to me, but I have not plugged it into my big system.  the DSD>FLACs i've made sound better than many of the recent 24bit recordings iv'e made.

No troubles w/the software or the hardware thus far.  everything just works.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 09:59:47 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2007, 10:15:54 PM »
Wow, that's encouraging Nick! I'm looking forward to more head to head comps with the R-09.  Maybe I'll break down and jump on this Korg wagon afterall.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2007, 10:21:32 PM »
yea, well...take w/a grain of salt.  i've been known to sensationalize in cyberspace.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2007, 10:26:02 PM »
Well I'm not rushing out tomorrow or anything, but that sounds encouraging.  I've been  a bit put off by the internal battery and closed DSD format, but if this thing turns out to sound significantly better than the Edirol, I may be swayed.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2007, 12:08:34 AM »
This sound promissing.  I am getting ready to purchase a small deck as a back up and for limited space recording :wink2:.  The only problem I am having with the korg is the limited internal battery.  It looks like the R9 walks allover the korg in this aspect.  I don't see doing any DSD recording in my near future, 24/48 at best.  HHMMM maybe I should wait just a little longer...and see what shacks out of the technology tree......
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2007, 12:28:17 AM »
Same deal here. So a pivotal question for me is does the MR-1 sound significantly better than the R-09 when both are recording at 24/48.  And I'd be curious to know if recordings done on the MR-1 in DSD then converted via the PC software to 24/48 are any different.  Nick?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2007, 08:52:46 AM »
time will tell.  I only like recording "real music" for my tests.  recording my stereo in the living room doesnt do it for me.

seeing how i'm firmly believing these DSD>redbook conversion do sound better than any of the raw 24bit or 24b>redbook conversions ive made so far this year, I would guess that DSD>anything is going to sound better than raw PCM recorded at whatever sample rate you want.

I also see absolutely no need to go DSD>24bit.  CDs sound very, very good, and i'm happy.  I'll do some DSD>24bit conversions w/a track from my onstage recording last week and post them for you guys to check out.

Offline manamana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2007, 09:29:49 AM »
all this info and yet still no one has posted shots of the internals to see if there is room for a cf card and adapter...

>:D ;D
4022s > SX-M2 > Sony M10

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2007, 10:40:21 AM »
actually, i see no seal, no stickers that say "void if removed".
just a bunch of neatly packaged philips screws on either side. 

we'll see how brave i am.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.245 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com