Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR-1  (Read 138387 times)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Korg MR-1
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2007, 08:56:11 PM »
I may have been the one who first said "brickwalling" in another thread http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,80867.msg1076004.html#msg1076004

I only said that b/c what I recorded sounded like what used to happen to me with my D8 long ago.  So my apologies if I have muddied the waters.  The MR-1 has a switch, "line in" or "mic in" on the top.  After further inspection it is possible that my first recording could have been V3 > MR-1 via "mic in".   ::) My bad.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2007, 09:26:18 PM »
One thing I don't understand is who is responsible for my brickwalling when peaks reaches -3.9dB....Is it because my MR-1 has a -15dB gain setting (too low or too high) or my MixPre gain was set too high (no markings on the MixPre knobs so cannot give any value)? And also why -3.9dB and not 0dB for brickwalling?? How did the MR-1 or MixPre decide to have brickwalling when signal reaches -3.9dB and above??

Let's distinguish between "clipping" and "brickwalling".  Clipping refers to levels running too hot into the ADC, resulting in >= 3 consecutive samples at 0 dBFS, and occurs in the digital domain.  Brickwalling is overloading of an analog stage and not tied directly to dBFS levels in the digital domain.  Generally speaking, a squaring off of the waveform at 0 dBFS usually indicates clipping, while squaring off of the waveform at some level below 0 dBFS usually indicates brickwalling.  So...in this case, it seems some analog is overloading. 

I'm not familiar with the MR-1.  Does it provide for line-in and mic-in?  If so, confirm you're running line-in.  Running mic-in with an external preamp may overload the analog mic input.  If it accepts line-in, what dBu level does it accept?  Then crosscheck that with the MixPre's dBu output as a starting point for trying to track down the cause.  The MixPre's dBu output should be lower than the MR-1's input dBu spec.

I think if you add the 15dB gain you are attenuating on the MR-1 to the -3.9dB you get +11.1 dB, which is 5.1 dB higher than the +6dB max input on the MR-1.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2007, 07:05:33 AM »
= "overload clipping shitty sound"

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2007, 12:54:47 PM »
I was going line-in when the above happened. Yesterday's concert was an experiment for setting my external preamp levels with MR-1 gain setting at zero. Now I think I got the right settings on my MixPre and I plan to keep the settings...I pulled off the knobs (as Brian suggested) so hopefully it will not change. I plan to adjust the gain slightly on the MR-1 depending on how close I am on the stage, etc... I think leaving it at "0" is a good point so I have lean way both ways. Tonight I will record another concert hope I'm sorted with gain settings!
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2007, 01:07:39 PM »
The gain on this thing will remain a mystery until someone does some actual tests and shares the results..  I generally won't run a new recorder without doing those type of tests...

Similarly, nobody has posted a recording of the noise floor at various gain settings...

Korg shoud just send a loaner to guysonic for testing... unless they have something to hide :P

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2007, 03:34:26 PM »
I PM guysonic already offering my MR-1 to him to do the test - the only thing is I'll be using it until mid June..So I plan to let him test mine in mid June - if he is still interested. But I hope my DC offset problem (http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,81258.0.html) on both channels does not affect the test.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2007, 05:33:06 PM »
I PM guysonic already offering my MR-1 to him to do the test - the only thing is I'll be using it until mid June..So I plan to let him test mine in mid June - if he is still interested. But I hope my DC offset problem (http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,81258.0.html) on both channels does not affect the test.

While Left channel offset does limit full scale output ability, input tests results should not be different than from units with normal or more acceptable near 0 DC output. 

However, chance is there's something in the analog processing chain causing this offset, and defective components (usually an IC or leaky coupling capacitor) like this have also been known to have less good low-noise specification. 

So maybe this DC problem is really an unacceptable defect that should be corrected by Korg under warranty BEFORE this deck is evaluated?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 05:40:00 PM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2007, 02:17:06 PM »
So maybe this DC problem is really an unacceptable defect that should be corrected by Korg under warranty BEFORE this deck is evaluated?

Or BEFORE you record those upcoming shows ;)

I agree that the offset could be caused by an upstream piece of gear, cable, etc.
I'd definitely try and record some music, white noise, etc into the unit directly and see what the offset is.  I'd try the recording in both pcm and in dsd.

Maybe test for DC making a recording with dummy load on each balanced input?  Suggest using two 100 - 1000 ohm resistors on channel's plus/minus input to ground; requires four resistors total doing the test in this manner. 

Solder one end of the resistors directly to miniplug tip/ring and then solder each other end to common sleeve terminal.  Make two of these plugs for the test.

Doing a recording with nothing else connected except a passive dummy load should settle the question of an external source causing this offset.

Let us know what you find out.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2007, 11:01:30 PM »
nice.
i'll get the parts for this tomorrow.
Thanks Q

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2007, 02:52:09 PM »
Simon,

I PMed you earlier.  Converting a DSD file to 44.1/16 pcm and adding 24 dB of gain, I see no digital offset, either with the "DC cut" in AudioGate on or off.  So maybe your analog chain has an issue.

Jeff

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2007, 12:09:43 PM »
I think this thread may be dead, I've also posted in another venue, but I had the same issue as Scy, regarding clipping/brickwalling.  The difference is that I was using mics directly into the inputs on the MR-1 (had setting on mics, not line).  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,82341.0.html

Additional note - somewhere along the way, however, something bad happend to the unit.  No physical trauma (dropping, kicking, etc.), and I don't think I severely overloaded it, but now whenever I try to set the recording levels in any of the non-PCM settings, the meters are maxed out even with no input hooked up at all, in PCM there's no signal even with gain turned up, and if I play back the samples on the unit, the sound quality's terrible and there's a wierd rythimic pulsing of the noise level.  Called Sweetwater and they conferenced in Korg technical department, who took down the symptoms and said they wanted to do some research and will call back.  Sigh.  The sound out of this thing is freakin awesome, but then I'm also comparing to a D8 and a MT <grin>.  It's a big step up from them, though.

Mike 
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2007, 01:38:55 PM »
Hi Mike,
I actually set my MR-1 gain to zero now (before it was -15dB). Now I don't get brickwalling and everything seems great. I reduced the gain on my preamp - mixpre. But I just left the gain on my MR-1 at "0". I only used it once since this gain adjustment and in that recording it sounded the best. So I'm quite pleased with it now because there is more head room at the high dB.

I'm going to do some small experiments with my MR-1 this weekend - I've got a feeling what is causing the DC offset in my recordings.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2007, 05:11:36 PM »
nice.
i'll get the parts for this tomorrow.
Thanks Q

Hey Nick, read that you are sending your MR1 to Doug....Is he thinking of doing something with it?

Any thoughts on sending it to guysonic? I'm planning to send mine to guysonic mid June (if he's still interested).

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2007, 05:33:16 PM »
no thoughts on guysonic...i'll leave that to you guys.
I just think Doug wants to play w/it for a while.

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2007, 11:56:43 AM »
I just nabbed one of these off flea bay.  :-* I'm planning to run it off the analog of my V3. Do you think this attenuator Mike posted for an SMB app will work ok (except for balanced on both ends)?  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,56358.msg841636.html#msg841636

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 12:06:52 PM by Steam Powered »
You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com