Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: Rolling Gear Bag?  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Nak700

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
TSKB: Rolling Gear Bag?
« on: December 19, 2023, 03:40:25 AM »
So, after spending the better part of the past year and a half in Physical Therapy, Chiropractic, and Massage (And not the fun kind), I am ready to concede that, after 26 years of recording everything I go to, my back and shoulders can no longer withstand the abuse.

I'm highly resistant, though don't rule out completely, downsizing my rig. And I've emptied my current bag (A Lowepro D650 Stealth Reporter) several times to discard any unnecessary spare gear (mics, cables, recorders, batteries, etc.), which has provided some, but not enough, relief.

So, I think the next step is to find a bag / case with wheels, which I've only seen other Tapers use, perhaps, once or twice in the entire time that I've been recording.

If anybody has any advice, suggestions, recommendations, or information on this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for letting me tap the Taperssection Knowledge Base, friends!

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TSKB: Rolling Gear Bag?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 08:10:02 AM »
sachtler and portabrace both make wheeled cases, but they look challenging to work out of.  I know there are several wheeled laptop bags that could be repurposed for audio equipment. 

The other thing to consider is maybe downsizing to a phone or small recorder based rig, like the lectrosonics spdr, deity pr-2 if it ever comes out, sonosax sx-m2d2/dpa d:vice -> phone, etc combined with microdot based mics or any mics with the m2d2.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline kindms

• Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 09:32:11 AM »
RE: Wheeled bag

Id consider where you currently record if this is going to get you grief at the door.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 10:16:22 AM »
Might be a good idea to put together a light weight rig! Something like Mics> Baby Nbox> Sony pcm A10 or Mics> Zoom F3.  Something that can fit in a small fanny pack and easy to power. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 10:49:33 AM »

I was late to adopt it but the SD Mixpre6 is pretty tiny and light if you need to run more than 2 channels. I fit it and all the stuff I need to run 2 mics and a SBD patch in a very small camera bag and even with 30 ft of XLR cables it comes in at a few pounds.

My 2 channel rig - MBHO actives/PFA > Tascam DR100 doesn't weigh much at all and honestly would fit in my jacket pockets.

You may have to adjust your thinking to adapt to your constraints.

I wouldn't try to show up at a gig with a bag on wheels. One of the local tapers who was in a similar situation as you used a wheeled bag for a while and got nothing but grief from venues.

I know this is telling you to do something other than what you came here to ask about but that's my thinking on the subject.

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline mnm207

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • website
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 11:55:38 AM »
I'd echo the others and suggest paring the kit back to a weight that is more workable for you.

But to answer the original question:

My favorite rolling bags were made by Kata, and had a removable "trolley", aka hand cart. Since the wheels/handle are external the interior space is easier to use efficiently. They turn up used on e-Bay with some regularity. Look for the FlyBy 74 or the earlier OC-84. These two models are lightweight and small enough to even be fairly comfortable with a shoulder strap rather than the wheels. I have three of the FlyBy bags (one 74 and two 76s); really like them. I'm a hair's breath away from picking up an OC-84...

Skip the Portabrace bags--they're great but not light. I have one of their small rolling production cases which weighs close to ten pounds empty. It also has the wheels and handle mounted externally so its interior space is quite roomy. (Actually, the Portabrace waist bag might be worth looking at if you minimize your kit.)
// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 10:02:01 PM »
alternative to the wheeled rig might be a compact fanny pack, or check out something along the lines of KTek's Stingray Backpack to get through the door easier.
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2023, 12:51:14 PM »
If you can find something clear that rolls it may lessen some of the hassle with security. I would fold down the handle and carry it in to the venue, rather than roll it in though.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2023, 05:01:30 PM »
I would get one of the wheeled Pelican cases sold here. I bought a large (non-wheeled) Pelican from them about a year ago and it was in fantastic condition, with Kaizen foam included. HIGHLY recommended this company!

https://atozcases.com/collections/featured
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Nak700

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 02:50:27 AM »
Thanks for all of the valuable insight, friends. I'm taking everybody's input into consideration, and trying not to get too overwhelmed while looking at B&H, Adorama, Ebay, etc. to see what options are out there.

To clarify, I'm not concerned about getting into the venue. Tapers are reasonably well known and well accepted in my hometown, and I never get questioned for the local shows that I record, and rarely have trouble with the touring shows that I record. My concern is getting to and from the venue, which often involves a long walk from the car. Last week, after recording Los Lobos at First Avenue, I was lucky enough to catch a ride home from a friend who was parked behind the venue, and carrying my bag for what was the shortest distance possible was difficult, though not impossible. Of course, as you all know, the bag is always heavier at the end of the night.

Perhaps a rolling backpack would work best, something that I could wheel to the gig, hoist on my shoulder to get through the entrance, and wheel to the spot in the venue to set up at. The concern that I have with the backpacks that I've looked at is that I like to work from the top of the bag, not the side. And even if I could figure out a way to work from the top of a rolling backpack, I'd still have to worry about it rolling away.

The Kata bags and Pelican cases that have been recommended look like they would work wonderfully, I just wonder if their footprint would be manageable. The nice thing about the Lowepro D650 is that it fits comfortably in a tripod corner, making it less likely to be stepped on or tripped over.

Has anybody had any experience or observations with something like this?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1115067-REG/sachtler_sa1001_snaplock_trolley_system.html

It looks like it collapses enough and could probably lay flat underneath a bag or be tucked behind / underneath a chair.

Thanks again for all the insight, friends, and for being gentle with my rambling thoughts. Keep those suggestions coming!

Brian

Offline voltronic

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 05:14:03 AM »
I use this folding hand cart on every gig. The triple wheels allow you to easily navigate stairs.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/UPCART-200-lb-Capacity-Lift-Folding-Hand-Truck-MPHD-1/302856092
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline mnm207

• Taperssection Regular
    • website
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2023, 10:30:55 AM »
Can you handle a backpack? One with a proper waist belt would transfers most weight to your hips (i.e.: Mindshift PhotoCross 15, Gura Gear Kiboko 22L, or Thinktank Airport Accelerator). Between that transfer of weight lower and keeping the load centered so you're not twisting might put the least stress on your back. (Plus trimming the weight of the kit as much as you can...)

Back to rolling cases: while a rolling bag isn't on your shoulder, you've still gotta pull it along and that can cause you to twist your back.

Adding a hand truck to your existing bag isn't the end all be all solution either. The cart that @voltronic linked to is ~11 pounds. I've got a Wesco folding cart that's similarly heavy. I just pulled it out to see how much I notice the weight without anything on it and I notice it. The Sachtler that you linked to is only 4 pounds, but its wheels look to be pretty small and close together which might make it tipsy. That tipsy-ness might also stress your back. (The Kata Insert Trolley was similar to the Sachtler but had a pair of wheels that could be extended for stability.)

Edit: added backpack examples.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 10:42:53 AM by mnm207 »
// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2023, 08:54:25 PM »
I use this folding hand cart on every gig. The triple wheels allow you to easily navigate stairs.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/UPCART-200-lb-Capacity-Lift-Folding-Hand-Truck-MPHD-1/302856092
Strong agree. The exemplars look sturdy and durable, but maybe large/heavy?

I had a cheap wheeled carry-on/backpack, and removed the plastic hand truck from it. Weighs 20 oz, collapses to 14". Plastic wheels aren't the best but I don't off-road with it either.
That way you can use whatever bag you like, and not have to carry it. Carabiner clips stand in fabric bag to the truck.

I'm 4 years post L4 & L5 microlaminectomies resulting from lifting powered speakers once too often. Even with rehab and PT, have to be very careful. The lightweight system works very well and doesn't add to the overall wight issue. Also, I have accepted making multiple trips as a companion strategy. A bag of xlr cables weighing 15# stays in the trunk, and I'll go grab a cable or the whole bag as needed once I've planned out setup.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2023, 08:26:57 PM »
Stumbled upon this looking for gear bags. The website description says it will fit any Orca bag.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082125-REG/orca_or_70_aluminum_trolley_system.html
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline voltronic

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2023, 08:52:55 PM »
Stumbled upon this looking for gear bags. The website description says it will fit any Orca bag.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082125-REG/orca_or_70_aluminum_trolley_system.html

That looks like a nice little cart. 100 lb rating is plenty.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com