Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V2 levels  (Read 12993 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: V2 levels
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 10:25:17 PM »
gotcha...

tell Jason and Molly that Dennis and Val and I say hello...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 10:59:35 PM »
I run my V2 at quite low level because of the device it feeds into (A62 - consumer line level).  And it sounds great!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2004, 10:20:49 AM »
I run my V2 at quite low level because of the device it feeds into (A62 - consumer line level).  And it sounds great!

so i guess you're liking the v2?   ;D
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 04:01:08 PM »

oh man...I love it.  And I believe it's a piece of gear I will keep forever.  I really don't think there's gonna be much future progress in the world of preamps and analog electronics.  Digital will continue to get better but a good preamp will always be desirable.

Actually, I think it's kinda stupid that V2s have been going down in price.  There will come a day when the V3 owners want different a>d.

btw, I power the thing off a tiny Nimh pack of 5 x 4/3 AA cells that goes for 4 hours.  Check it out beside the SLA.  And it ways about 1/5 of the lead.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 04:03:55 PM »

oh man...I love it.  And I believe it's a piece of gear I will keep forever.  I really don't think there's gonna be much future progress in the world of preamps and analog electronics.  Digital will continue to get better but a good preamp will always be desirable.

Actually, I think it's kinda stupid that V2s have been going down in price.  There will come a day when the V3 owners want different a>d.

btw, I power the thing off a tiny Nimh pack of 5 x 4/3 AA cells that goes for 4 hours.  Check it out beside the SLA.  And it ways about 1/5 of the lead.

i recognize that battery   ;)

That's sweet setup.  Tiny power source.  Well done!
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Tim

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 04:08:43 PM »

fwiw the V3 has analog outs for those situations
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 04:20:12 PM »

yes..   but is the analog out _after_ the a>d stage? or   analog in>pre>a/d>analog out
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2004, 04:22:24 PM »
analog outs are before the a/d correct

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2004, 04:23:37 PM »
analog outs are before the a/d stage.  there is no d/a built into the V3, not even for monitoring.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2004, 04:25:01 PM »
hey craig..
frequinox at the conduit this week for you?

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Tim

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2004, 04:25:16 PM »
analog outs are before the a/d stage.  there is no d/a built into the V3, not even for monitoring.

what craig said

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2004, 04:42:19 PM »
yes..   but is the analog out _after_ the a>d stage? or   analog in>pre>a/d>analog out

Well, technically:  analog-in > pre > ADC > DAC > analog-out.  But we knew what you meant.  :P  Others have stated the V3 path correctly.  The UA-5, though, does pass through ADC/DAC to send an analog-out.  Not sure about other pre/ADC combos.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2004, 05:14:45 PM »
Not sure about other pre/ADC combos.

Minime has no analog outs

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2004, 09:40:18 PM »

This is true.  But I have $700 leftover to buy an a>d.   ;)

I'm not trying to suggest that there's anything wrong with a V3.  I'd like one myself.  But with V2s going for $550-650 I think it's a helluva deal.  And because I almost always record 24 bit on a laptop, the 'space saving' feature of the V3's built in a>d isn't worth that much too me cause I already got a big bag and my a>d is small. 

The other factor is when I record 4 track (board+mics) I want analog output so the a>d can clock them the same.  So we're all happy!

And you can't tell me that you actually prefer that V3 power connector to a nice solid, locking 4 pin connector  :P
KM 184 > V2 > R4

Offline Tim

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2004, 10:35:32 AM »
who knows what I'll be running when I get back in the game but V2->AD2k at 24bit sounds pretty good to me... but then there's the whole 1 box v 2box issue :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com