Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V2 levels  (Read 12990 times)

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
Re: V2 levels
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2004, 10:39:27 AM »
I loved my V2, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the V3 can do. The all-in-one thing is nice as well. That's what's cool about this hobby (and this board)..it's very incestuous (in a good, self sustaining way), so people can try different combos.
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2004, 12:35:30 AM »
who knows what I'll be running when I get back in the game but V2->AD2k at 24bit sounds pretty good to me... but then there's the whole 1 box v 2box issue :P

I have the same 1 box vs 2 box issue (V2 and AD2k) but I love my V2, I couldn't ever give it up.

btw, nice avatar, I really miss that guy
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2004, 06:30:37 AM »
I have the same 1 box vs 2 box issue (V2 and AD2k) but I love my V2, I couldn't ever give it up.

Since I don't stealth, I've never worried too much about 1 box, 2 boxes, 3, boxes, or more. It's always been about the sound. At this very moment, it's a 3 box solution for me (mixer, A/D, DAT), but since I run 4 mics I have always been pretty much stuck with at least a three box solution.

I've found the AD2K+ fits nicely in the upper pouch of the DA-P1 portabrace bag, so it really isn't any harder to carry it around. The biggest thing is the cabling. I tear everything down, so it takes me a few extra minutes when I setup to get everything cabled and setup.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

radioboy1977

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2004, 09:00:12 PM »
who knows what I'll be running when I get back in the game but V2->AD2k at 24bit sounds pretty good to me... but then there's the whole 1 box v 2box issue :P

i thought you picked up a pair of schoeps?

Offline Brian

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2004, 10:29:52 PM »
I loved my V2, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the V3 can do. The all-in-one thing is nice as well. That's what's cool about this hobby (and this board)..it's very incestuous (in a good, self sustaining way), so people can try different combos.

i leaped from V2>modsbm1 to V3 and have really been loving settingthe levels on the V3.  it's so easy and you can push it real hot without worrying about an audible clip!

now if i could just get a 24bit setup i'd be set :)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2004, 07:37:05 PM »
i leaped from V2>modsbm1 to V3 and have really been loving settingthe levels on the V3.  it's so easy and you can push it real hot without worrying about an audible clip!

The two things I miss about the V2>SBM combo is that I used to do fade-in and fade-out in the field and I could always attenuate at the SBM if I needed to.  With the V3, you have to get it right within 5db either direction or you get a 5db step adjustment.  I still don't get it right every show.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2004, 07:45:59 PM »
honestly, and IMO of course, but the 5db step-up isnt really audible, at leats on my system, its just gets louder, but not like a noticeable jump ala the dmic or something, unless your WAY below the levels needed
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2004, 07:51:47 PM »
With the V3, you have to get it right within 5db either direction or you get a 5db step adjustment.  I still don't get it right every show.

just use the variable trim
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2004, 08:20:41 PM »
With the V3, you have to get it right within 5db either direction or you get a 5db step adjustment.  I still don't get it right every show.

I do that.  I start with the trim in the center, which gives me 5db of adjustment in either direction.  But sometimes I'm either too low with the trim maxed (I'm still running 16-bit so I want to use all the bits) or I get surprised and with trim dropped to zero I'm still clipping.  Doesn't happen often, but just often enough to keep me uncomfortable until the first few songs are done.

With the continuously variable attenuation on the SBM, I could go to that if I needed to and not adjust the stepped gain on the grace box.

The only real solution is to figure out how to get into sound check.  I'm not counting on that.

Bean's right about the stepped gain, it's a very clean step.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Tim

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2004, 08:26:32 PM »
gotcha!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2004, 08:32:38 PM »
thats what i do too, start w/ trim on the v3 aT 12 oclock, and adjust from there, and also, its not the v3 really, its prolly the soundman fine tuning the first few songs :) at least the acse w/ memost of the time
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2004, 10:11:48 PM »

I do that.  I start with the trim in the center, which gives me 5db of adjustment in either direction.  But sometimes I'm either too low with the trim maxed (I'm still running 16-bit so I want to use all the bits) or I get surprised and with trim dropped to zero I'm still clipping.  Doesn't happen often, but just often enough to keep me uncomfortable until the first few songs are done.

The only real solution is to figure out how to get into sound check.  I'm not counting on that.

I would suggest writing down the gain you used in your source info for each show, and add a couple notes as to how hot the music peaked. For example, I write down, V3: (+38, peaks at ~-7dB). After a few shows you will have it down where you need to set your gain given the type of concert and venue you are at.

FWIW I run DPA 4022, fairly low sensitivity mics (7mV/Pa)>V3, for small/medium club rock shows I always run ~+37dB (+35 knobs/+2 trim), resulting in peaks right in the -4 to 2dB range (I usually go a bit conservative on levels). For unamplified/classical/jazz type shows I usually run +52, for classical stuff this gives me peaks ~-7-9dB, just about the perfect amount of headroom for just in case situations, and I boost afterward with the Waves L2 Ultramaximizer (thanks Alex!). If on stage for loud shit and close to a drum kit (like Kimock for example) I would probably start at +32 (+25 knobs/+7 trim) and adjust from there. Of course your specific settings will depend on your mics and their sensitivity but this should give you a decent starting point. Hope this helps!!

Happy taping!
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2004, 01:57:01 AM »
+t ben

thats really helpful.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2004, 07:36:48 AM »
Good advice Ben. It's all about knowing your gear! Lately I've been able to set my levels pre-show to where I only have to adjust them ever-so-slightly during the opener.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2004, 07:39:13 AM »
Ben is Def the master of levels on his v3. ive watched him in action. set the levels 5-10 minutes before show, start recording and walk away... get a drink hit the john and no have to worry

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com