Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M Audio Fast Track Pro  (Read 12332 times)

Offline azama

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: M Audio Fast Track Pro
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 07:43:14 AM »
I didn't manage to remove all the covers. There must be a trick with some plastic clips.
Some free space inside !

Designed in the USA, made in China ...

Offline batchain

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 09:36:35 AM »
Wow! This looks like a good deal for around $200. So you good do a board/mic matrix with this?
Primary: Peluso CEMC6/CK-4/CK-21 > Fostex FR2-LE or Tascam DR-680
Secondary: Edirol R09-HR

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2006, 10:03:36 AM »
Thanks for the pics.  +++++++++T.

You tease!  How much further can you go (without breaking anything!)?

I want ot know the chip #'s, etc.

To answer the OP, I think you can only do two inputs at a time.  Well, you can do two *analog* inputs.  If you have another digital input (like an Edirol UA5, etc), you could get four inputs.  But the unit does not mix in standalone.  I'm talking about if you use it as a computer interface, you could record four tracks (2 analog, 2 digital).

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline markgarrigan

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Third Fence Post
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 09:36:14 AM »
Here is the line from the manual on standalone mode:

Stand-alone Mode
The Fast Track Pro can act as a stand-alone mic preamp with 24-bit/44.1kHz A/D converters. Inputs 1 and 2 are sent to the S/PDIF Out and analog Outputs 3 and 4 post inserts.

Does the jb3 even allow for 24bit recording?

So this does, however, mean that you can use it stand alone and analog in to the jb3. Correct?

Also for azama => What was your entire set up when you tested with the mc012s. Power? Output? Input?

Offline azama

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2006, 01:07:43 PM »
My setup for the test was:

- 1 matched pair of oktava mk012,
- 1 Maudio Fast Track Pro,
- 1 Hi-Md Sony MZ-NH900

The connection between the Fast Track and the Hi-Md was analog, at line level.

The Fast Track was powered by 6 AA batteries connected in series. The test lasted 4 hours.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 06:29:59 PM by azama »

Offline markgarrigan

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Third Fence Post
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2006, 08:56:12 PM »
thanks azama... that means the Fast Track can do what I need it to do. Now I just need to find some sample recordings.. any leads?

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 09:03:39 PM »
My setup for the test was:

- 1 matched pair of oktava mk012,
- 1 Maudio Fast Track Pro,
- 1 Hi-Md Sony MZ-NH900

The connection between the Fast Track and the Hi-Md was analog, at line level.

The Fast Track was powered by 6 AA batteries connected in series. The test lasted 4 hours.

Why don't you get an optical cable and run optical out of the Fast Track into optical in on the MD?  (Optical in uses the same 1/8" mini socket as line in on the MD.)  Then you can benefit from the (presumeably) better ADC in the FastTrack.

Oh yeah, can you get more pics/part numbers from this.  I'm really curious, esp. if it can be modded easily.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline markgarrigan

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Third Fence Post
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 09:08:55 PM »
Why don't you get an optical cable and run optical out of the Fast Track into optical in on the MD?  (Optical in uses the same 1/8" mini socket as line in on the MD.)  Then you can benefit from the (presumeably) better ADC in the FastTrack.

Oh yeah, can you get more pics/part numbers from this.  I'm really curious, esp. if it can be modded easily.

Richard

I was assuming the optical was inoperable when in stand alone mode. Like the stock ua-5. But, does someone know differently?

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2006, 09:29:26 PM »

Richard

I was assuming the optical was inoperable when in stand alone mode. Like the stock ua-5. But, does someone know differently?

The *manual* says it should work.  Please try it and let us know.  That is what we mean when we say "stand alone", that the box functions as a preamp+ADC.  (Well, some people just want the Preamp, but most want both.)

Richard

Offline markgarrigan

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Third Fence Post
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2006, 10:49:25 PM »
I've seen "stand alone" in the context of using without being connected to a computer via firewire or usb. That is the meaning I've been using.

Also.... incase there is any confusion over some of my original questions.... I don't want to use the Fast Track analog and digital simaltaneously. I was just assuming that the digital outputs would only work when connected to a computer. And the analog outputs would work when using it in the field with no computer.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 10:54:32 PM by markgarrigan »

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2006, 12:33:53 AM »
I've seen "stand alone" in the context of using without being connected to a computer via firewire or usb. That is the meaning I've been using.

Also.... incase there is any confusion over some of my original questions.... I don't want to use the Fast Track analog and digital simaltaneously. I was just assuming that the digital outputs would only work when connected to a computer. And the analog outputs would work when using it in the field with no computer.

Yeah, so please let us know if the digital outputs work.  It is a useful piece of gear if they do :).

Richard

Offline azama

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006, 01:53:05 PM »
I confirm that the Spdif output is working in standalone mode (I made a recording on my computer without Usb but with an Spdif connection)  :laugh:

I made an other battery test: the Fast Track was powered by 6 AA new alkaline batteries connected in series: the test lasted 5 hours.

I wish I could make a numerical connection between the Fast Track and the MD but the Fast Track has only an electrical numerical output whereas the MD has only an optical numerical input.
There is no harm because I think the A/N converter of the Sony MD is not bad.

I will try to do some more precise pics of the Fast Track in the next days...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 02:13:05 PM by azama »

Offline markgarrigan

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Third Fence Post
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2006, 01:50:30 PM »
Thanks azama! Soo now to anyone else.... Would something like this ::> http://www.portlandmusiccompany.com/co2.html work for conversion... and does it color the signal at all... or perhaps introduce some diginoise?

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2006, 01:50:03 PM »
That or a HOSA ODL-276A will competently handle the coax > optical conversion.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2006, 05:16:00 PM »
IF this thing runs as a stand alone......thats awsome.  This thing can be had for 200$ street cost...... :P

Pair this with a pair of studio project C4's and a MT and you have a 24/48 sub 1000 rig...Holy Cow batman.... :o
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com