Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: demo'd a portico last Fri  (Read 12957 times)

Offline trajhip2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
demo'd a portico last Fri
« on: February 07, 2007, 03:00:52 PM »
my std rig is Schoeps tubes>V3>744T for my stereo pair, and Schoeps>744T for the guitar and bass mics. The 744T's pres sound a little bright and thin on the guitar, so I was looking for something with a little more body for the instrument mics - however, I decided I would get a better sense of the Portico sound if I ran it on my main pair. The 4-ch mix can be found here:

http://www.archive.org/details/mermen2007-02-02.flac16

Comparing to my usual setup, I found the Portico to sound a bit thin, with a loss of ambience/detail - same opinion from someone that took a 2-ch patch out of me. When I asked the guitar player (who has a fully loaded studio with Avalon, Great River, Apogee, Pro Tools etc etc. and does his own recording) what he thought, here's what he sent me:
>Here is the deal with the Neve:
Neve preamps/eq's are popular as tracking devices mostly for individual instruments in a multitrack recording situation - they are known for coloring the sound and creating a sounds that "fits" into a mix like part of a puzzle. In a multitracking situation.The Neve pre cuts the sound of the individual instrument down to size and makes it "contained". How the Neve does this is by producing a RICH punchy defined tone that has some kind of dense harmonics with harmonic boundarys. This is part of the magic of Neve stuff and why the old Neve pre's are the most expensive of any type. The punchy contained tone has a big lush sound that is Neve. It is a very very very good "sound" Its almost like Neve' pres make instruments more dense and Big( as if they were compressed). What is LOST though when using the Neve is the airy open(not excessively flavored) extended frequency response sound that you get with your own preamps. I think running a whole band mix through a stereo Neve causes the sound to be flat and constricted because the air(the extended and flat frequency response of a less colored preamp is lost.) I listened to the FEB 2 recording and I can hear the "sound" of the NEVE especially when individual instruments are dominating the mix . They are big and beautiful lush and rich. I really like the way it sounds. I was thinking when listening to the flavor of the recording of that show and thinking WOW I would like 24 channels of those. On the other hand I hear the same thing you and Tom are hearing.<

I thought this was interesting in light of the Portico review here: http://www.studioreviews.com/portico5012.htm
Excerpting from that review:
>The Listening Sessions is working on an in-progess graph to describe the sonic characteristics of preamplifiers, and in our tests and comparisons with other mic preamps, the 5012 Duo Mic Pre is decidely in the "colored" camp. Mic preamps with the amount of coloration found in the 5012 have some distinct advantages as well as disadvantges for recording, depending on the sound desired. What coloration — which is essenitally distortion can add to a recorded sound is a sense of what might be called "energy" — some might calls it "balls", as well as a type of glue effect so that the collection of sounds within the mix seem to congele together — rather than sounding as a collection of separate sounds. The transformers often used in more colored preamps also tend to slow the signal down, resulting in a slower slew rate. The advantage of a slower slew rate is that, among other things, the sound of the room [ acoustic space ] where the source is recorded is deemphasized. This can be demonstrated by listening to the Drum OH WAV files Session 10 recordings for the difference in the amount of room that can be heard on the cleanest preamp used in the comparison, the Great River MP-2, and the slowest preamp used, the Portico 5012 with the "silk" setting engaged. And while getting the acoustics to at least a workable level is always a high priority, the fact is we all record in various spaces. And in spaces with less than ideal acoustic conditions, the ability to reemphasize the sound of the room can be a big plus, and in many cases go a long way towards making more professional-sounding recordings.

The disadvantage of using slower, more colored preamps is that much of the resolution, imagery and detail can be lost from the source. In the case of music that is largely acoustic-based, it's often preferable to have a more "natural" sound, which includes the space as well as the imagery afforded by stereo miking techniques.

Where the Portico 5012 mic pre excels is rock and heavy music. It can also be used as well on Pop, R&B, Hip-Hop and Electronic music where a thicker, more colored sound is desired. Where I would caution users in the market for mic preamps for more acoustic-based and "classical" recordings, is that the Portico 5012 will not yeild the resolution or imagery afforded by cleaner and more transparent mic preamps, such as the John Hardy M-1, Millennia, HV-3 or any of the other preamps listed on the mic preamp chart with a rating from the 1 value at "transparent" to about the 7 value of "color".<

Based on all of this, I don't think it's best to use it with my stereo pair, but I will be trying it on the individual instrument amps before I decide whether to keep it or not.

Steve

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: demo'd a portico last Fri
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 03:06:40 PM »
thanks for the review. i wish more people would give the (imho) better sounding XL42 from Midas a chance.
plenty of people are moving to the Portico...but i have still yet to hear of anyone using an XL42 in the field.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 03:12:12 PM »
thanks for the review. i wish more people would give the (imho) better sounding XL42 from Midas a chance.
plenty of people are moving to the Portico...but i have still yet to hear of anyone using an XL42 in the field.

Ive used the Midas for the front end of both banjo (di on one side and internal mic on the other) and guitar (di in one side and internal mic in the other).  It shined for those applications (I wouldnt expect any different) but havent used it in front of mics for AUD recording.  Im thinking it would be hard to field power, but not sure about that. If Midas made a field preamp I would buy it in a second.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 04:52:14 PM by bluegrass_brad »
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 04:27:51 PM »

For what tapers do the midas is cool but is requires one to have access to electricity.  Not ever taper has that access at a show.  99.99% power their rigs via some form of battery wheather its a SLA, Lithium ion, AA's, NIMHI.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 10:18:15 PM »
I definitely agree the 5012 with Silk is very colored and much more neutral without. I do like how it reduces the room sound and captures all the good tone of the instruments. Would I sacrifice some ambiance and HF detail to achieve this? I think so.
Might not go so well with colored/warm mics.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 08:59:08 AM »

For what tapers do the midas is cool but is requires one to have access to electricity.  Not ever taper has that access at a show.  99.99% power their rigs via some form of battery wheather its a SLA, Lithium ion, AA's, NIMHI.

betcha, with a little creativity, a battery pack could be made to power it. never done it for an XL42, but i can't think of a reason why it couldn't be done.
i'm considering picking one up for my multitrack rig....if i do, i'll play around with powering it.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 09:23:34 AM »

betcha, with a little creativity, a battery pack could be made to power it. never done it for an XL42, but i can't think of a reason why it couldn't be done.
i'm considering picking one up for my multitrack rig....if i do, i'll play around with powering it.

If Midas made an 8 channel version of the XL42 I'd be all over it, no question.  Now you've got me thinking.  I might be able to grab an XL42 and run a couple of ambients into it at a show we're doing next weekend... :hmmm:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 09:36:31 AM by TNJazz »
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »

If Midas made an 8 channel version of the XL42 I'd be all over it, no question.  Now you've got me thinking.  I might be able to grab an XL42 and run a couple of ambients into it at a show we're doing next weekend... :hmmm:

They make a 48 channel version.....
Duno how yer gonna battery power this bad boy in the field though.   :P

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 10:49:20 AM »

For what tapers do the Midas is cool but is requires one to have access to electricity.  Not ever taper has that access at a show.  99.99% power their rigs via some form of battery wheather its a SLA, Lithium ion, AA's, NIMHI.

I can think of two reasons #1 unlike the cheap DDA made Midas stuff this does not use a wall wart. Second this thing can not be reversed engineered to operate from DC with out losing the internal power supply * this is part of where this preamp gets its sound from *

Its nice to dream. I love the Midas preamps in the real Midas consoles they are unmatched for live sound..

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 11:26:21 AM »

For what tapers do the Midas is cool but is requires one to have access to electricity.  Not ever taper has that access at a show.  99.99% power their rigs via some form of battery wheather its a SLA, Lithium ion, AA's, NIMHI.

I can think of two reasons #1 unlike the cheap DDA made Midas stuff this does not use a wall wart. Second this thing can not be reversed engineered to operate from DC with out losing the internal power supply * this is part of where this preamp gets its sound from *

Its nice to dream. I love the Midas preamps in the real Midas consoles they are unmatched for live sound..

how 'bout a power inverter and a car battery....is there a reason this wouldn't work, all knowing one?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 11:29:01 AM »

how 'bout a power inverter and a car battery....is there a reason this wouldn't work, all knowing one?

You could use a power inverter if you could find one that put out a real sine wave "all insulting one" I would never use a inverter unless I had too for audio.. But if you want to put your Caviar on a Ritz cracker go right ahead.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 11:33:09 AM »
hey, i'd never use a generator to power a live sound rig either if I didn't have to...but I have to all the time.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 11:36:45 AM »
hey, i'd never use a generator to power a live sound rig either if I didn't have to...but I have to all the time.

Yes that is very true. I have had to use them on many occasions.. But I would never buy such a high end piece of gear to use with a $.5 cent inverter.. That's just me.. I love that preamp I have used it on many corporate gigs for a podium preamp... I think if I owned a sound company I would have at least one of these for that reason alone especially if I did all the corporate work you do.

Chris Church

Asshat....  ;D

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 11:47:19 AM »
a battery / inverter rig weighs a ton, and won't last very long if you have a bunch of powered mics flying.

chris,.. some of us ran $200, "single outlet", pure sine inverters

while that is true, it is, in fact, do-able.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 11:49:55 AM »
a battery / inverter rig weighs a ton, and won't last very long if you have a bunch of powered mics flying.

chris,.. some of us ran $200, "single outlet", pure sine inverters

Yes the operative word here is PURE SINE WAVE. inverter :) That's because you know what the hell your talking about. I would run an inverter only if I had to, I have seen what happens to gear when an inverter goes south and it ain't pretty. But if you have to run gear on an inverter then so be it. I was just saying I would not run a high end preamp like the Midas xl 42 on a $.5 inverter because its very expensive and I would be very sad if my inverter blew up and toasted my preamp.

Chris Church

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com