Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HYDRA customers who are unhappy w/the product  (Read 13611 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
HYDRA customers who are unhappy w/the product
« on: March 13, 2008, 12:26:49 PM »
i'm sure this post will get me lots of leads. and Ts.
::)
<snip>

edited for loss of temper.

But...I left most of my ranting here.
USPS has somehow misplaced 3 deliveries ($500+ in orders that I have to replace).  Its left me shy on parts and under the gun to get replacements out.
as for USPS, out of my hands.  I will always do delivery conf. and insurance from here out.

for the custom chopped XLR customers who were not pleased for whatever reason.....
For the record, these suck to make.  take a lot of time to get them right.  reliability is my first priority.  with no locking mechanism in place, I worry about things coming "undone" and use a lot of goo in there to secure them.

Fit and Finish...
sometimes its awesome.  Sometimes not.
I've gotten complete refund requests based on how they look.  I know, its your money.  you can complain all you want.
If you want choppers, and are very concerned about how they look in your bag...best get them from Hi-Ho or Ed.  they look much better than mine.

I know, its bad form for a retailer to vent like this.  And i'm sure it will cost me in many ways.
fuck it.  Worst case is I dont make cables any more, loose a bunch of T's and can just enjoy being a "civilian" again among my peers.
I'm just fed up w/the "I need these in a week" orders that then B&M about it once I get them there.
If you want perfect fit and finish, then order factory ends.  Nothing wrong w/those new Neutrik RA ends.  they are slim and fit anywhere.  they are just long...and can block other things.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:03:48 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: HYDRA customers who are unhappy w/the product
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 12:36:37 PM »
Nick,
        I like the cables you made me with the chopped ends on both sides.  Not only do they look good,  they sound great.  +T brother
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:38:23 PM »
I will not be one of those who is subtracting from your tickets. You were more than willing to give me a break on my cable request and you took the time and quickly replied to all my PMs.

Thank you and I look forward to getting my cables!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 02:01:18 PM »
hey nick
big +t for you!
The chopped or stubby cables that we make are a big pain in the ass to build.
In my case it is a labor of love.  i really enjoy making cables and i really get off on knowing that people are making amazing recordings using my cables.  plus i would rather work for myself making cables, than going back to working full time in the restaurant business again.  that business really sucks!!  like you i believe quality of workmanship is most important, but sometimes that darn epoxy doesn't go where we want it to go.
keep up the good work and don't get discouraged.
ed
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 02:11:50 PM »
Thanks Ed.
+T
it just sucks sometimes.
last week, I sent out what I thought were some of my best cables to date.  Only to have them nit-picked to death on appearances ....costing a refund.  swallowing a lot of time.
I"m just pissy today I guess.
Leave it to Mr. Church to straighten me out and remind me that I sound like a douch w/this rant.
:) thanks bro.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 02:25:54 PM »
do you have any chopped "2nds" for sale?
i'll give you $30 for some 10-15 ft ;)

+t you your work and troubles
i never used your mic cables but the power cable you made me worked great
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 07:36:40 PM »
Nick, many of us know that you are a good guy. Though unconventional, I don't think your rant was out of line. I have recently had an incident that has changed my perspective on my work. It happens from time to time... Don't let it throw you. Keep making those cables, and especially, keep making those great recordings!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 07:43:29 PM »
together, more or less in line
:)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 07:46:13 PM »
+T for letting some people know how it is (ie REALITY).

I would NEVER expect anyone like you or Ed to drop everything in your life to make me cables...NOW!!

I'm all for supporting the little guy, and would much rather buy from you guys even if I have to wait several weeks.

On top of that, I couldn't give a rats ass how my cables look, just as long as they work. And from what I've heard yours work great.

Keep up the good work!
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 09:08:38 PM »
At first glance, the cable you made me for my Church Audio 9100 to Microtrack recorder looked ugly as hell! You know the one, one 1/8" plug to two 1/4" so I could connect to the Microtrack using the TRS inputs. But you know what, it fit like a glove and it pulled an excellent  >:D recording. I cannot and will not complain if it does what it is meant to do. Hell, look at the truck I'm driving. I'm just lucky I haven't lost a door or the bed for that matter, driving down the road. Have enough epoxy to hold my truck together for at least another 20 years?

Keep up the great work! +T ;D
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
The shorties patch and the switching the RA Connectors with shorties to my existing hydra are all good (minus that one little hiccup) and look forward to using them on 3/26

Offline 69mako

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 12:30:03 AM »
Nick,
You've been more than patient with me and all of my questions about my future order.  Kindness like that is not something that you will find going to big chain stores.  Just another reason why I perfer to buy from fellow TS members.  I plan to place my order next week.

Four channels here I come!!!!

Mako
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 01:00:21 AM »
Some people just want to bitch about everything...

Let it go, the REAL folks know what's up and appreciate all you do for the Community.  Props to you and your Family!

+Ts!

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 07:38:38 AM »
its all good.
sometimes its just hard not to take things personally when people complain. 
not functioning on arrival..., i'll bend over backwards for you.  dont like the way it fits your gear, I'll alter it so it works.  Dont like the way it looks...., thin ice!

one recent customer ordered a cable for his stereo mic.  He wanted techflex that wasn't in stock, and he had a deadline ...tight, but I could meet it.
they get the cable, 3 days before "go time" (leaving on a trip).  It worked going out the door.....
plugs the thing into his 660 to find the RA neutriks dont line up the way he wants.  unscrews the plug to adjust...breaks a wire.  (small conductors do break easy..sometimes if you just look at them hard).
fuck!
I sent him a backup that I just happened to have.  paid nearly $50 to overnight it to him.
stupid chopper XLRs didn't fit his 660 either.
d'oh!!!!!!!!

but the customer was not an ass about it.  Frustrated...sure.  but civil.

another customer...orders total custom chopper cables for power requirements.  gets them (free shipping to another country) and the first thing response is "wow...., i hope your mic cables look better than this...really disappointed".  This particular order was sort of a PITA as the parameters changed 100 times before construction started.  I guess I dont know what they were expecting for appearances.

this is all this week, and thats only 1/2 of the negative feedback.  I dont know what gives!

regarding these choppers, from here out I am using only black MX style plugs.  they dont require any cutting.  just a notch/whole for the cable to pass through.  They cost more, but that'll be my problem.  I should charge more for them but I wont.
Instead, there will be a 50% restocking fee if the cables are returned for any reason other than "broken".

Folks...I"m sorry.  I dont meant to bitch and moan on the board in public.  I try my best to do right for the people I work with.  All I ask is that my customers respect and understand that i'm one dude, in the basement freezin' my ass off with small kids running around asking for this and that...and the temptation to get off the bench and go whale on my Hammond sitting next to me (good break time).
I'm not a big company, nor am I faceless. 
I do appreciate all the business I get.  And as a customer, when you pay someone a couple hundred bucks you are intitled to your opinions.  At the very least, try to make them constructive in such a way that I can either fix/rectify/meet the expectation as well as improve my skills for "the next guy".

One customer here wouldnt' even give me the time of day when I asked why he wanted to return the cable I made him.  Funny too, as he's someone who is very active here.  I asked for feedback and got silence.  I fight the urge to -t him every time I see their posts.  I dont, btw.  I may have initially though.
Everyone here I consider my friend, and I'll treat you as such.

Same goes for our other esteemed cable gurus here at TS.COM. 
we all get off on having our fingers in the taping pie.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 07:58:22 AM »
its all good.
sometimes its just hard not to take things personally when people complain. 

I got some of nicks subbies too and I luv em luv em luv em!

Hey, they're broken in like a glove and they fit into the tightest bag scenario I can throw at it.

Regarding appearances, all I can suggest to people is look at Stevie Rays guitar.  Man that butt ugly motha fu**er could sing!!!  And now there's a million people that would pay a million bucks for that ugly piece of shit!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com