Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soldering Iron Advice  (Read 3311 times)

Offline taylordb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Soldering Iron Advice
« on: January 10, 2008, 01:28:11 PM »
My guitar cable got caught around my car tire (don't ask  :-[ ) and snapped the end 1 foot off.
I know I could just go out and buy a new one, but I figured this is a good way to learn about making cables.  The 1/4" jack is in good condition.  I just need to get a soldering iron.

Can anyone give me some advice on the best kind of soldering iron to get...brand, where to buy, etc.  Or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks in advace for any help.

Danny

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Soldering Iron Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:32:03 PM »
Wow, car tire!  I'd be suspect of that cable if it was put under that much strain.  Not sure how far you should cut it back but I'd guess at least a bit.

You should be able to get a cheap iron from rat shack for $10-$20. Just about any iron can solder guitar cables.  Don't use acid solder or acid flux. You might want to do some searches for tutorials on technique. It is easy to pickup bad habits and you should get some practice in before you do the cable.

For doing cables I'd go with at least 25 watts.  For smaller electronic stuff 25 watts is the max and generally the norm.  The $40 weller is better than the rat shack irons.

For circuit fab work I sprang for a Metcal PS-800 and it is a dream. Night and day compared to conventional temp controlled irons I have used. It heats with high freq energy and compensates very quickly for thermal load. But about $200.

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:21:50 PM »
weller. I like them!

Offline taylordb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 03:39:27 PM »
Thanks guys, much appreciated!
Yeah, one end of my cable fell off of my back seat and out the door as I was closing it.  Then when I drove off the tire grabbed it...since it was pinched at the door jam it just snapped it off there.
I'll cut back a few feet of the cable before I put the jack back.
If it doesn't work, at least I have a new toy   ;D

Thanks again!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 06:29:43 PM »
I have been using crappy irons forever.  Def. need to spring for a good station.
there is an iron setup sold at parts express that has a variable temp iron, multi-meter and adjustable power supply all in one unit.  its not a professional product as I really need, but I like it just the same.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 06:59:24 PM »
Thanks guys, much appreciated!
Yeah, one end of my cable fell off of my back seat and out the door as I was closing it.  Then when I drove off the tire grabbed it...since it was pinched at the door jam it just snapped it off there.
I'll cut back a few feet of the cable before I put the jack back.
If it doesn't work, at least I have a new toy   ;D

Thanks again!
geez danny
i thought maybe you were playing on top of the car like dispatch at msg
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline frostdotcom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 11:05:45 PM »
I do a lot of install work and have a couple of wellers and some cheapo radio shack irons.  They all work fine but since I bought a hakko, I dont turn anything else on.  its so small and comfortable in your hand.  like holding a nice pen.  you can paint with it and make really good joints.  too expensive for someone just learning but a nice iron for those who would use it more.

Frost

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 11:49:27 PM »
I do a lot of install work and have a couple of wellers and some cheapo radio shack irons.  They all work fine but since I bought a hakko, I dont turn anything else on.  its so small and comfortable in your hand.  like holding a nice pen.  you can paint with it and make really good joints.  too expensive for someone just learning but a nice iron for those who would use it more.

Frost

+1

I have a 936 and I love it.  Don't know how I soldered before I got it.  Oh wait, yes I do...BADLY !
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 12:26:23 AM »

Another endorsement for the Hakko 936, Nice soldering station with adjustable heat.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com