Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity users: how do you track-out shows and export?  (Read 7310 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Audacity users: how do you track-out shows and export?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 02:15:16 AM »

Maybe it's just me but when most of our work is ultimately reduced to FLACs it seems pointless to spend time jumping through hoops in an audio editor like Audacity to do track splitting and then run them all through TLH for SBE checks then out to FLAC when CDwave will do the tracking precisely (on sector boundaries), save to FLAC l and produce a cue sheet for subsequent re-use. 
I think audacity can export as FLAC, and I know it can cut tracks on sector boundaries. Ya just go to VIEW > SET SELECTION FORMAT > CDDA min:sec:frames 75fps, then go to EDIT > SNAP TO > SNAP ON and it will only let you cut on sector boundaries.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 09:13:37 AM »

Maybe it's just me but when most of our work is ultimately reduced to FLACs it seems pointless to spend time jumping through hoops in an audio editor like Audacity to do track splitting and then run them all through TLH for SBE checks then out to FLAC when CDwave will do the tracking precisely (on sector boundaries), save to FLAC l and produce a cue sheet for subsequent re-use. 
I think audacity can export as FLAC, and I know it can cut tracks on sector boundaries. Ya just go to VIEW > SET SELECTION FORMAT > CDDA min:sec:frames 75fps, then go to EDIT > SNAP TO > SNAP ON and it will only let you cut on sector boundaries.

At least the version of Audacity that I'm running, no export to FLAC available.

Regards sbe's, it takes minutes to get rid of them in xACT, so I don't consider it a bother at all.  I guess it's just what you're used to.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 08:17:24 PM »

Regards sbe's, it takes minutes to get rid of them in xACT, so I don't consider it a bother at all.  I guess it's just what you're used to.

So maybe it is a Mac deal?  Sorry to have butted in...

Yeah, I don't think PC's have an sbe problem, but I'm not at all certain of that.  Your input was still definitely helpful, though.   :)
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »

Yeah, I don't think PC's have an sbe problem, but I'm not at all certain of that.  Your input was still definitely helpful, though.   :)

everyone can have SBEs, it's just how you cut your PCM file.

Second, what version are you running that can't export FLAC? I've been able to export to FLAC (both 16 and 24bit) on 1.3.5 and 1.3.6 and I'm on OSX on both boxes.

(oh, and we were missing an extra "/quote" which is why we were having quoting issues)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 01:01:11 PM »

everyone can have SBEs, it's just how you cut your PCM file.

Second, what version are you running that can't export FLAC? I've been able to export to FLAC (both 16 and 24bit) on 1.3.5 and 1.3.6 and I'm on OSX on both boxes.

(oh, and we were missing an extra "/quote" which is why we were having quoting issues)

Oh, sweetness if I can export to flac in a new version.  Not sure what version I'm running, but it's been for sure 18+ months since I've updated.  I'll follow the instructions above, too, to not have sbe's and start leaving out that step altogether.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 06:47:05 PM »
i can confirm that changing the sample/bit you will change the times as stated by dean

side question - how can i delete (or move) 1 label from my label markings? (on a mac)

I've never figured it out.  Once you're past the "undo" stage, I think you're screwed without actually cutting out a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of the wav or starting over altogether.

highlight the label as though you were going to type a description and hit delete/bkspace should be it. I don't have audacity open at the moment, so someone might need to verify this at the sample level, but I'm relatively sure thats it. I gave up moving them cause it screwed up when I tried, I now just delete them and add new ones.
mac 1.2.4
doesn't work
i'll look into thw 1.3 version after i finish this conversion
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 09:29:04 PM »

In 1.3.6 (I'm using XP) it works a little differently; you won't find these options in the menus. Instead, you right-click the Selection Start, End/Length, or Audio Position input box in the bottom toolbar; any one of these will work. A menu will pop up with the desired format. Choose CDDA frames, and then click the Snap To checkbox.

Once you do that, all of your cuts will be on frame boundaries.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
    • Free Live Music Archive - daja@dayjay
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 01:53:00 AM »
fanofthemule hooked me up with a couple of his masters (AUDs and SBDs) and gave me permission to track and circulate 'em.  I exported the tracked *.wav files from the SBD recording and was all like, "I'm gonna import that AUD *.wav file in here from the same night and line it up, give it a quick listen for verification, and send it away to TLH using the same track markers."  The efficiency almost blew my mind. 

I think Audacity is excellent freeware and suitable for the sort of audio processing we do.  One thing that greatly improved my work-flow was to stop working on the text file during tracking (I have a tendency to spent a lot of time on text files, since I think they are really cool and can be really purdy when done well).  I'd spend so much time listening to the songs when tracking the *.wav.  Working on the text file while uploading the *.flac to archive-org greatly speeds up my time spent at the komputer.

Can we broaden the thread title to "... and what's your work-flow from start-to-finish?  Do you have any tricks to share?"  Anyone here matrix in Audacity?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 02:32:00 AM by root_ »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com