Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cross-Fading MIC/SBD Sources in CEP 2  (Read 5373 times)

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: Cross-Fading MIC/SBD Sources in CEP 2
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 01:29:17 PM »
i really hate using percentages, for one thing it's not very descriptive. 50% of 6 is not the same as 50% of 12 for example. it's fine if you're working on the entire file at once, but when you're working on 2 or more files or parts of a file, it just doesn't make sense. i mean if i want to boost or lower a section 3db, i don't want to try to figure out what the % is.

hopefully someone else will speak up that uses cep with an answer. i'm almost tempted to hunt down a copy just to figure this out.  >:D
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 01:09:13 AM »
In your particular case with the file pic you showed originally...I would just apply a 20 - 30 fade out to the SBD source...then mixdown.

Over that period of time the gradual decrease in clarity from the SBD source would be negligible.  You would obviously hear at the end that there is just an AUD copy...but in this situation you would hear only that anyway.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »
In your particular case with the file pic you showed originally...I would just apply a 20 - 30 fade out to the SBD source...then mixdown.

Over that period of time the gradual decrease in clarity from the SBD source would be negligible.  You would obviously hear at the end that there is just an AUD copy...but in this situation you would hear only that anyway.

That works for gradually fading out the SBD source, but doesn't compensate for the loss of dB's by increasing the MIC source over the same interval.  I accomplished what I needed to accomplish using the suggestion of setting the volume envelopes to 50% for everything to start with.  This allowed me to apply a fade UP to the MIC source to help disguise the vanishing SBD source.  It worked fine, and in the absence of any other way to do it in CEP2 I'll plan on working with 50% baseline envelopes on all my future multitrack work.  That said, if somebody stumbles across this thread and knows a better way to do it in CEP2, I'd love to hear it.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com