Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Powering my laptop in the field  (Read 4788 times)

Offline stlram

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Powering my laptop in the field
« on: February 04, 2005, 09:00:12 AM »
Since I just bought a HP 1170, I thought instead of buying all the batteries I sould buy the 12 volt adapter and run a 12 volt/10 amp SLA for in the field recordings. Does anyone else do this and what is your feedback?

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Powering my laptop in the field
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 11:36:20 AM »
Here is a bit more information regarding this subject. In my opinion it looks like I should have no problem using a 12 volt SLA with the HP 12 Volt adapter. But I want to make sure I am correct. Please review below and provide feedback. Your thought are welcomed.

Here are the specs on the internal battery

6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery for HP Pavilion dv1000/ze2000 and Compaq Presario V2000/M2000 Series Notebooks
(PF723A)

Voltage

10.8V

Amp-hour capacity

4.4Ah

Watt-hour

48Wh

Dimensions

9.055 x 7.677 x 2.165"

This is the spec on HP’s 12 volt Adapter.

Need extra notebook PC power in your car or on a plane? Tired of waiting to get where you're going to charge your battery? This air/auto/AC adapter plugs in to your car, truck, or airplane seat to keep you working away.

Compatibility: HP Pavilion ze2000, ze4000, ze5000, zt3000 and dv1000 series; Compaq Presario 2100, 2200, 2500, x1000, M2000, and V2000 series notebook PCs

What's in the box?

90W combo adapter

AC power cord

Auto/air cable

Tablet PC dongle

Carrying pouch

Dimensions

6.4" x 2.6" x 1.2"

Input voltage

10-32V

Continuous power supply

Minimum 4.90 amps

The adapter, which HP sells to be used for 12 volt sources such as airplanes, cars and trucks, will regulate the in coming source and ensure it is within HP’s operating voltage. This isn’t a product I’m making up but proprietary HP accessory items to be used with the HP 1170. The only difference is the batteries I would be operating may have less amps than the car, truck or airplane sources but since it needs 4.5 amps to operate it appears that I’m safe running a battery with the minimal amperage of 7. If I run a 12 volt 7 amp I am going to get around 1.75 the operating time of the internal. Therefore running 10/12/18 amp will provide me even more operating time.

I understand that some folk’s knowledge regarding DC operation is limited so I reserve this question for those with a larger knowledge base regarding such things.

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 12:54:14 PM »
I have two 12v/ 7.5ah sla batterys wired in parallel and an auto cigarette adapter... well duct taped together... ok, with a little duct tape handle... There is also a cord to plug into the charger. Running a HP laptop with a Tascam US-122 I get about 5 hours. YMMV
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 03:05:37 PM »
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline hubie

• Taperssection Newbie
  • find me in the X
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 02:19:27 PM »
I agree the N charge from valence has helped me immensly at festivals.  You'll never have to run back to the car with a couple of batteries you can swap them out.  When the n charge is pugged in  it is recognized as a/c power, then switch the batteries without having to shut down your pc.  Hope this helps.
ccm4>(sxm2)>722
mk8+mk4+mk4v>kc5>cmc6>v2>ad1000
FOB/DFC/KFC/HAT

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 11:40:09 AM »
I've been using this:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=28675.0

I haven't done any testing but I've gotten 5+ hours of actual taping on one charge so far. My first unit broke, and after shipping it back I received a second right away. because it's smaller than the valence I think it is worth a look.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline peeeper

• Taperssection Regular
  • F-you Maize and Blue!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 06:32:17 PM »
I use two 12VDC 7.0Ahr SLA wired in parellel.  This can power my entire rig for a good 7-8 hours of continous recording.  :)  I split off from the battery pack in two directions; one going to a power converter which changes the 12VDC to 16VDC to run my Sony Vaio and the other direction supplies my Mini-Me with 12VDC.

I hope this helps

field: SKM184 > MME > VAIO, D8
home: DA-20 > WT2496

You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do. --Jerry Garcia

Offline rustle

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Rock On!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 07:11:40 PM »
I run a 12volt, 18Ah SLA.  Never a worry with power. I've run over 9 hours with this powering a Dell latitude, P-III, 500mhz, recording @ 24/48  8)  It's heavy, but I could buy 4 of mine, for the price of a knock off N Charge  :)
"Once in a while you can get shone the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right" - J. Garcia, R. Hunter

“Physical discomfort is important only when the mood is wrong. Then you fasten on to whatever thing is uncomfortable and call that the cause. But if the mood is right, then physical discomfort doesn't mean much.” - Robert Pirsig, author, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Offline peeeper

• Taperssection Regular
  • F-you Maize and Blue!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 10:12:05 PM »
I could buy 4 of mine, for the price of a knock off N Charge.

I agree!!  Anyone that wastes their money on over priced battery systems is just silly.  With very little knowledge and elbow grease you can come up with just as good of a battery system then any professional system for a fraction of the price.

You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do. --Jerry Garcia

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 03:01:31 PM »
I bought the 12 volt converter and decided to run wil the 12 volt Lead acids that I have. Ihave something like 6 batteries that range from 12 amp to 7.2 amp and then 1 4 amp. Doing so lets me have many baterries and save money. The converter cost me $75.

Thanks for the input.

Offline peeeper

• Taperssection Regular
  • F-you Maize and Blue!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 04:33:29 PM »
 :o What converter did you buy that costs $75?  I bought a variable power converter that takes 12V in and can be changed between 12V to 24V for like twenty bucks a few years ago.  Never had a problem yet.

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 08:45:52 AM »
I could have bought an off brand for $35 but opted for the unit that HP makes for my computer, which was $75.00. I felt more comfortable knowing that it was speicifcally design for this unit and hope that the voltage would be more regulated and ultimately a better match.

Offline rustle

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Rock On!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 11:44:56 PM »
Nice move. You still came out ahead when it's all said and done.

Now, just remember to lift with your knees  ;)

+T you guys
"Once in a while you can get shone the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right" - J. Garcia, R. Hunter

“Physical discomfort is important only when the mood is wrong. Then you fasten on to whatever thing is uncomfortable and call that the cause. But if the mood is right, then physical discomfort doesn't mean much.” - Robert Pirsig, author, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2005, 02:50:16 PM »
do you really need a convertor?  isnt the voltage between you battery, and what your adaptor outputs an acceptable range for powering?

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 03:22:59 PM »
Yes a converter in neccessary. The lap top runs on 19 volts DC and the battery is 12 volts DC

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2005, 03:53:19 PM »
I was told by batteryspace.com that you base the voltage on the battery voltage and not the wall converter voltage... is this not true or does this lappy actually have a 19v battery.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline peeeper

• Taperssection Regular
  • F-you Maize and Blue!
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2005, 04:20:19 PM »
I was told by batteryspace.com that you base the voltage on the battery voltage and not the wall converter voltage...

I believe this is incorrect unless you are trying to find a replacement battery for a lappy.  Now if your intention is to use the DC input jack on the laptop then you want to follow the voltage rating for the jack.  Many times the jack will be labeled with the required voltage and possibly the ampere requirements needed.  If there is no label or markings on the laptop refer to you user manual under the specification section.  Often the battery side of the power supply of a laptop is a regulated circuit among other charging and monitoring circuits.  Where as there is a small chance that the DC input jack is not regulated do to the fact that the input voltage on the jack is coming from the supplied AC/DC converter of the laptop which is regulated.  I highly recommend matching the voltage that is called out for the DC input jack and not the voltage that is labeled on the laptop battery.  Also it is important to note, which ever way you are supplying the current to the laptop, that you have the required amperage that is needed to power the laptop plus an additional 20% so not to stress your converter.   i.e. If your laptop requires 19VDC @ 1A then you want to make sure your converter is rated at 19VDC with the ability to supply 1.2Amps of current.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2005, 05:06:11 PM »
I was told by batteryspace.com that you base the voltage on the battery voltage and not the wall converter voltage...

I believe this is incorrect unless you are trying to find a replacement battery for a lappy.  Now if your intention is to use the DC input jack on the laptop then you want to follow the voltage rating for the jack.  Many times the jack will be labeled with the required voltage and possibly the ampere requirements needed.  If there is no label or markings on the laptop refer to you user manual under the specification section.  Often the battery side of the power supply of a laptop is a regulated circuit among other charging and monitoring circuits.  Where as there is a small chance that the DC input jack is not regulated do to the fact that the input voltage on the jack is coming from the supplied AC/DC converter of the laptop which is regulated.  I highly recommend matching the voltage that is called out for the DC input jack and not the voltage that is labeled on the laptop battery.  Also it is important to note, which ever way you are supplying the current to the laptop, that you have the required amperage that is needed to power the laptop plus an additional 20% so not to stress your converter.   i.e. If your laptop requires 19VDC @ 1A then you want to make sure your converter is rated at 19VDC with the ability to supply 1.2Amps of current.

Thanks,
I'm going to have to give that a try.  FWIW, on one laptop my 12v 7.5ah sla worked fine and the other it didn't.  Both were 10.*v Lion batts and 19.*v convertors.  The one it didn't work on is an older computer that I don't care too much about, so I'm now trying to hack the internal battery (it's long since dead) and run through thoes jumpers.  That is no easy task either... if there was just two wires all would be good :)  I'm trying to avoid spending a bunch of dough on batteries for the lappy, but I may end up dropping some more dough whether I like it or not.

Matt

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2005, 12:30:47 AM »
just to add to the discussion, ive been taping with my lappy since last summer, so ive had to
find power solutions for it.  you have to go by the voltage that is written on your ac adaptor not what
voltage the internal battery funs on.  for instance, my internal battery runs at 14v but my ac is 19.2v
and you must run it off the latter voltage.  i have been using 19v, 4000mah battery's from batteryspace
but im considering a custom solution from batterygeeks in the near future, so i can ditch those 1.75 hour nimh batteries for something that can power the lappy in the field for 5+ hrs, switching batteries is a pain
during setbreak.  just to add, the batteryspace externals are relatively cheap and come with a special charger as well as being
-chris
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline peeeper

• Taperssection Regular
  • F-you Maize and Blue!
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2005, 12:37:41 AM »
just to add to the discussion, ive been taping with my lappy since last summer, so ive had to
find power solutions for it. you have to go by the voltage that is written on your ac adaptor not what
voltage the internal battery funs on. for instance, my internal battery runs at 14v but my ac is 19.2v
and you must run it off the latter voltage. i have been using 19v, 4000mah battery's from batteryspace
but im considering a custom solution from batterygeeks in the near future, so i can ditch those 1.75 hour nimh batteries for something that can power the lappy in the field for 5+ hrs, switching batteries is a pain
during setbreak. just to add, the batteryspace externals are relatively cheap and come with a special charger as well as being
-chris

Probably a better reiteration of what I said earlier.   :D

Good job!

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2005, 08:42:53 AM »
Thanks Guys... I will go that route.  It just seems a shame to cqary around all that voltage when I could be carieing more amperage, but such is life.  +Ts

Matt

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2005, 10:52:41 AM »
Thanks Guys... I will go that route.  It just seems a shame to cqary around all that voltage when I could be carieing more amperage, but such is life. +Ts

Matt

i feel the exact same way mmmatt, but such is life. +T
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com