Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mac USERS! (soundcard/Peak LE/bit torrent questions)  (Read 5916 times)

Offline carrington

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The Lynzzz Way is the best way.
Mac USERS! (soundcard/Peak LE/bit torrent questions)
« on: February 23, 2005, 08:33:08 PM »
All right guys.  Here's the scoop.  I want to finally start transferring some of my DATs to my Mac (Power G4 running OS 10.2.8).  Here arfe my questions:

1)  What type of soundcard do I need to purchase in order to digitally import the audio from DAT to mac?

2)  Is Peak LE the best/good software to use for dithering, resampling, adding fades, adding track breaks, etc?

3)  Once this is accomplished how hard is it to generate a bittorrent?  All the instructions I've ever seen deal with pc's and not Mac. 

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Carrington

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
Re: Mac USERS! (soundcard/Peak LE/bit torrent questions)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 09:44:14 PM »
Carrington check you PM.

I forgot to mention using tomato to see a torrent. There is a pretty long explanation in the archive section about seeding BT using a mac.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 10:08:28 PM »
1. try 10.3 instead of 10.2

2. try spark instead of peak

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 11:11:19 AM »

Of course you have to put up with a bizarre interface. (My one and only beef with Spark was their attempt at an interface... yuck. Makes no sense from a human interface standpoint).

If you decide to use spark and put up with the interface issues, it can't be beat for the price (free). Peak or Peak LE is a great option as well and I prefer it (and it's interface) for two track audio.

For audio cards, there are a whole host of options now available. Since I use Digital Performer, I've stuck with MOTUs hardware, but I previously used Emagic's auidiowerks card and it worked fine in Mac OS 8 & 9. Can't comment on Mac OS X and these aren't made anymore since Apple bought Emagic. But there are enough other options out there now that it's tought to figure out what card to buy.

Wayne

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 11:15:57 AM »
Carrington, PM/call me if you need help. I use a Mac.

Kevin

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 04:11:51 PM »

Of course you have to put up with a bizarre interface. (My one and only beef with Spark was their attempt at an interface... yuck. Makes no sense from a human interface standpoint).

If you decide to use spark and put up with the interface issues, it can't be beat for the price (free). Peak or Peak LE is a great option as well and I prefer it (and it's interface) for two track audio.

For audio cards, there are a whole host of options now available. Since I use Digital Performer, I've stuck with MOTUs hardware, but I previously used Emagic's auidiowerks card and it worked fine in Mac OS 8 & 9. Can't comment on Mac OS X and these aren't made anymore since Apple bought Emagic. But there are enough other options out there now that it's tought to figure out what card to buy.

Wayne

Wayne

i never found spark's interface to be bad.  i started not knowing how to do a thing and i think i figured most of it out

and digital performer works with non motu-hardware, right?  i've used it with other stuff...

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 12:49:33 AM »
Spark is by far the best two track editor in X.  Peak is just awful...
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 10:09:34 AM »
i prefer the peak interface much better than spark, and i think spark has a much higher learning curve than peak.

outside of peak's support and maybe the 2gig file limitation (no sdII or wav64), what is it you guys dont like about peak?

???
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline scb

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 10:18:02 AM »
bugs, bugs, more bugs, and horrible customer service

i posted to a peak list about some specific bugs that i could reproduce every time.  i wasn't the only one who encountered the bugs either.   but i was told by steve berkley (the B in BIAS, makers of peak, is Berkley) that i was only causing trouble on his list by making up lies about his product

of course, a month later he released a patch targeting the specific problem i was having...

Offline taktheride

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 10:37:43 AM »
can someone link to the Spark website?  (no luck searching google, first time ever)

I found the TC works site, it says its discontinued, any third party music sites still host the image?
Still looking....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 10:53:39 AM by taktheride »

Offline carrington

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 11:41:07 AM »
what about sound studio 2?  i downloaded that and it seems to have a very user friendly interface.  i checked out spark and have no clue where to  even begin.
thanks for the input,
c.

oh scott- quick xACT question...when i minimize the window and bring it back up it won't let me decode files...says something like internalerror yadayada.  any insight?

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 11:46:45 AM »
sound studio 2 is good. i like the split at track markers option. its cheap and worth it. many swear by it.

fwiw, i use a couple audiophile 2496 in my mac without issues. decent drivers and stable
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline scb

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 12:16:12 PM »
what about sound studio 2?  i downloaded that and it seems to have a very user friendly interface.  i checked out spark and have no clue where to  even begin.
thanks for the input,
c.

oh scott- quick xACT question...when i minimize the window and bring it back up it won't let me decode files...says something like internalerror yadayada.  any insight?

to be honest, i've never minimized the app. i usually use it and quit, or hit apple-H to hide (hey john kelly i said APPLE instead of COMMAND....hehe)

i'll check it out though.  it might be a dumb interface thing where it loses track of something when minimized

Offline carrington

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 12:47:20 PM »
sound studio 2 is good. i like the split at track markers option. its cheap and worth it. many swear by it.

fwiw, i use a couple audiophile 2496 in my mac without issues. decent drivers and stable

yeah, i just ordered an audiophile 2496 card for my G4.  so once that arrives i guess i'll be all set.  thanks for the tips guys.
late,
c.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 01:15:23 PM »
bugs, bugs, more bugs, and horrible customer service

i posted to a peak list about some specific bugs that i could reproduce every time.  i wasn't the only one who encountered the bugs either.   but i was told by steve berkley (the B in BIAS, makers of peak, is Berkley) that i was only causing trouble on his list by making up lies about his product

of course, a month later he released a patch targeting the specific problem i was having...

What he said and on top of that they still have a 2 gig limit.  The fact that it remains in Peak 4 is just asinine. 

(hey john kelly i said APPLE instead of COMMAND....hehe)

As long as you're comfortable knowing that you're wrong, it's alright with me. ;D
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com