Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Laptop Recommendations  (Read 1984 times)

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
Laptop Recommendations
« on: July 02, 2006, 09:47:02 AM »
So I got my bonus at work and want to upgrade a computer.
I'm torn with upgrading the desktop or laptop but I'm thinking laptop and using the desktop for less.

My requriements are
Windows (sorry Mac people, we have an ibook and have no problems with it) because I do most of my development in Visual Studio .net and SQL Server.
XP Pro would be better but I guess media center would be ok.   The desktop will be running SQL and IIS for me.

Would like at least 2GB of memory.

Decent sized fast hard drive.

I don't really play computer games but also don't want a crappy video card.

I want something that won't be too much of an issue to run Vista when it comes out.

Gina's got a dell now that is nice, I also like the Toshibas.

Anyone got any advice?
Thanks,
Gray
Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
Re: Laptop Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 07:13:51 PM »
I can definitely help you out, but I've got a few more questions about desired specs.

1) Do you want a brand new laptop. Or are other options acceptable? For instance, factory refurbished, open box, etc. w/ waranty from reputable source. Or even used but from very reputable source. This decision can make a substantial difference.
2)When you say decent size hard drive, what size are we calling decent.
3)Proccesor-Any preference? How fast, brand, etc.
4)Most importantly, how much do you want to spend? (Your request for at least 2GB RAM makes me assume you have a pretty substantial spending limit.....of course that's all relative)
5)What kind of laptop (include specs if you can) do you currently have?
If you can give me some information on at least Question #1 and #4, I can certainly do my best to help you out.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 07:16:28 PM by charles »
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline grayp

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 06:50:43 AM »
Thanks Bro.  I'll do my best to answer your questions.

1.   I don't mind refurb/open box but want to be able to get a warranty so used probably won't matter
2.   Decent sized, I'd say at least 80-100 gb.
3.   No super loyalty with Processor.  I"ve had good luck with Intel and AMD.  Was thinking that a dual core would be good.
4.   I can spend some money here.   I have a soft cap at 2,000.   I want this to be a primary machine. 
5.   There are a couple in the mix.  I have a cheap Averatec.  I think its a amd 1.5 mobile chip w/ 512 mb memory.   Don't really like it.  My work laptop is a dell lattitude.  i think its an intel 2.4 w/ 2 gb of memory.   i like how i can swap out my cd/dvd drive for an extra battery as i don't tend to use that much.   

thanks in advance.  i want portable but not supersmall.   i want power but not something where the battery dies after 30 minute of use. 

i want it all :)

i did look at best buy yesterday and saw a toshiba satellite p105-s6084 that was $1499.  it had most of what i was looking for but have not done any research on them.  one thing, the drive was 5400 rpm which is pretty standard in laptops.   7200 would be good but not required.

thanks,
gray

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 02:39:49 PM »
Thanks Bro.  I'll do my best to answer your questions.

1.   I don't mind refurb/open box but want to be able to get a warranty so used probably won't matter
2.   Decent sized, I'd say at least 80-100 gb.
3.   No super loyalty with Processor.  I"ve had good luck with Intel and AMD.  Was thinking that a dual core would be good.
4.   I can spend some money here.   I have a soft cap at 2,000.   I want this to be a primary machine. 
5.   There are a couple in the mix.  I have a cheap Averatec.  I think its a amd 1.5 mobile chip w/ 512 mb memory.   Don't really like it.  My work laptop is a dell lattitude.  i think its an intel 2.4 w/ 2 gb of memory.   i like how i can swap out my cd/dvd drive for an extra battery as i don't tend to use that much.   

thanks in advance.  i want portable but not supersmall.   i want power but not something where the battery dies after 30 minute of use. 

i want it all :)

i did look at best buy yesterday and saw a toshiba satellite p105-s6084 that was $1499.  it had most of what i was looking for but have not done any research on them.  one thing, the drive was 5400 rpm which is pretty standard in laptops.   7200 would be good but not required.

thanks,
gray

Thanks for the info. Just got it and I'm going to get on it asap. Buying at Best Buy can be an ok thing, but I'd suggest goign other routes (I know you were probably just looking anyway. ) Your price cap will make this easier on me. It also makes me extremely jealous :) I 'll be bacj with you in a bit.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 02:48:53 PM »
Are you an Anti-Macite? In other words, will you entertain the possibility of a Mac or is that out of the question?

<quote>Was thinking that a dual core would be good.</quote> As for this, I think we can allready decide on that. With your price range, definitely dual core. That's in part why I was asking about the Mac situation. Their new notebooks are running Intel Core Duo and runs 5 times faster than the Mac's G4 processor. I grew up on Macs, way back before Bill Gates and the gang stole their simple to use operating system idea and exploded w/ Windows. A few years ago, I never would have considered getting a Mac, because from my experience, the PC's were running with fewer problems. And then there was of course the program compatibility. But today, a lot of that has changed. I do music editing, video editing and web design on my computer. If I could afford it, I would have another computer and it would be a Mac. And I'd use it for my video editing and any of my graphic work. I have confidence in Macs these days. I am, however, not accustomed to their new OS's so I know it would take me some time to get used to it. My father has 2 20" iMac's at home and I mess around with them from time to time when I'm over there and I do struggle some. I guess it depends on how quick of a learner you are, and how willing.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 03:06:07 PM by charles »
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline grayp

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 10:01:57 AM »
I"m not an anti-macite, however much of what I want to do will only work on windows.   ( Visual Studio and SQL tools ).   I know I can boot to either on the new macs, however maintaining 2 OS'es just seems like extra work for me when I'm not really looking for anything mac specific.

One thing that makes me shy from macs too is gina's ibook is now on its 4th logic board.   and they won't honor apple care for florida addresses.   what pissed me off is that they sold it to me anyway at a florida address but told me it was invalid when i tried to use it.   to get around it, i had to tell them i bought the computer for my parents in va as a present.
Other than that, the ibook was a great little computer.

Gray

Offline tonyvt

• Taperssection Member
  • Bocephus
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 08:42:01 PM »
Check out the new MacBooks. Applecare replaced my old iBook G4/800 which also had logic board problems with this new MacBook at no cost to me. I have installed XP Pro on the Windows partition. It is one hell of a slick machine!
I'm a Bluegrasshole.

Offline grayp

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 10:34:00 AM »
thanks tony

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com