Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: dime bt  (Read 5333 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: dime bt
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 02:30:21 PM »
curious if there are pro's and cons to using (or not) protocall encryption?? 

Only asking because it seems I can't help seed on DaD anymore (opening a window that is) as no one can ever connect to me. My share ratio is 14+ so I know how to to upload/seed/share etc. (yes, I have a green light). But last couple months no one can connect to me  Thinking my ISP has something to do about that (throttling the ports and/or my upload activity?).....Uploaded a new torrent over the w/end and that was a slow (uploading) process. Should have been going 5x faster!

> also for privite sites such as dime you need to turn off DHT (see my post above).  also you should turn
> on protocall encryption (under prefferences > bit torrent).

pros are it helps you connect especially if you are throttled by your isp.  cons, none that I know of.

also if you suspect you are throttled have you changed the ports you use??  DO NOT use 6881 etc.  pick a random number over 30,000.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 02:47:04 PM »
I'm using Bit Tornado (6881-6999) still. Am thinking on switching clients and someone referred me to uTorrent.
Could switch ports in Bit Tornado and see what happens though? But I like that feature of protocall encryption though....

Offline seedee_oner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 07:07:40 AM »
utorrent is a definite upgrade over bittornado, just be sure to run the speed guide (CTRL+G) before you use it. 

like datdork mentioned, there are no downsides to enabling PE (protocol encryption).  you should be able to connect to more peers, since some traffic shaped users have their clients set to only allow connections to other PE enabled clients.

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 11:52:03 AM »
I'm tyring out uTorrent, and it does seem to fixing my particular problem (which I think was isp based).

Question though, I don't see a way to "set" a limit for uploading on each active torrent. Meaning in Tornado, I could move that slide bar to anywhere I wanted to limit the amount of bandwidth being used for that window. All I see in uTorrent for this is each active torrent can be either set to low/medium/high for bandwidth usage (in regards to keeping a window open for others).

I miss that slide bar that did this

Offline seedee_oner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 11:57:40 AM »
right-click on the torrent and choose properties.  there's a setting there that allows you to control the bandwidth on a per-torrent basis.

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 12:26:49 PM »
awesome - thanks!!

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 08:22:45 PM »
encryption may (or may not) help you from ISP throttling. It's worth a try, and it's the main purpose it exists I believe. It make it just that much harder to identify torrent packets. Also, try switching up your ports, or using a port range (just make sure to open that range in your router/firewall too, not just in your torrent client).
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.158 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com