Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone ever order from church audio?  (Read 26959 times)

Online unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Anyone ever order from church audio?
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2023, 06:47:29 PM »
And I am now using my recently acquired Line CM3 mics whenever possible

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2023, 01:02:34 AM »
AT853 is what I would choose. Sound Professionals has a branded version and that is what I would do instead of the Church Audio path.

I've done side-by-side comparisons of the AT853 and CA-14 cards, and they are as close to identical as you can get. And the AT853s are much sturdier, and have interchangeable caps.

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2023, 10:15:02 AM »
^ I don't think it's all that complicated, to be honest. Personally, I don't think the mics are all that great (there are other options that are better, in my opinion) and the customer service is atrocious. I feel much more confident buying from a company that will communicate, honor time frames, and provide service in a timely manner (and I am willing to pay more for those things). He doesn't even have any decent specs for his stuff ("Frequency response: 20hz to 20khz +/- 10db"; seriously?). The guy had his heyday here on ts.com, but I am surprised that any member would take the plunge at this point...
All of this and the recommendation for AT853/AT943 from SoundPros.

I live in a great place for small businesses - New Orleans.  When I was new here, I read pretty much every thread that I had even a modicum of interest in.  I was always taken by the fact that these mics were very similar to other mics in their size/range/etc, but people were having some of the worst support/delivery time with Chris.  At no point in time did I think buying from him would be a viable option based upon read history.  I thought of all the little cafes and lunch spots here and figured Sound Pros had what I wanted and actually got back to its customers (as evidenced still today).  Seemed like if I was going to get a great lunch from a place other locals were going to perhaps I should be paying attention to the reviews and what other diners were saying after.  Why would I go get a po-boy from a shop that takes forever and sometimes forgets the order entirely?  The sandwich itself is pretty similar to other sandwiches in its class - its not fine dining at that price.

Recently, a fairly well known taper I am friends with decided to switch to stealth as his baseline.  We talked a lot about different setups before he bought one.  I was really surprised when he chose CA-14s.  Even though he bought a used pair on this site, I simply can't cross that bridge.  Its full of holes and a fraying rope is holding it up one side.  Sure, I can get to the other side without falling, but there are a lot of better options within the scope of my needs that will get the job done.  What we do is stressful enough.  Why make it more so?
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Online unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2023, 07:18:49 PM »
FWIW, my bought-used CA14s sound as good as my AT853s and can be repaired as needed quickly by Neutrino. I would not buy new ones from Chris because of all the reasons listed above and have not done so for years. Your mileage may vary.

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2023, 01:09:27 AM »
I've always been curious to try the AT omni caps, but the CA11 have been and will continue to be my preferred stealth mic

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2023, 06:36:57 PM »
AT853 is what I would choose. Sound Professionals has a branded version and that is what I would do instead of the Church Audio path.

I've done side-by-side comparisons of the AT853 and CA-14 cards, and they are as close to identical as you can get. And the AT853s are much sturdier, and have interchangeable caps.

I agree. And the subcards are great.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline BlueSky71

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2023, 07:05:30 PM »
FWIW, my bought-used CA14s sound as good as my AT853s and can be repaired as needed quickly by Neutrino. I would not buy new ones from Chris because of all the reasons listed above and have not done so for years. Your mileage may vary.

Does anyone know if Neutrino will work on other small mics? I have a set of Sennheisier mke-2's that need a bit of help. The work needed is on wires so small I cannot do it myself.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/mke-2-digital-lapel-mic-voice-audio-recording-mobile-phone

Offline bonghitwillie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2023, 03:53:12 PM »
how can you tell if church mics are omni or cardiod? can i wire them to work with the core sound 9v battery box? thanks in advance

Offline mrfender

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2023, 04:01:09 PM »
how can you tell if church mics are omni or cardiod? can i wire them to work with the core sound 9v battery box? thanks in advance

There should be a short red or black piece of shrink tubing coming out of the plug around the wires.  Red is omni, black is card.
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2023, 10:20:59 AM »
Cards have holes in the side of capsule. Omnis do not. Pretty good general rule for SDCs

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2023, 01:54:15 PM »
Running sp-cmc4 / at853 for years, real great workhorses. bought oversea from soundprofessionals and never any trouble. My advice, skip church audio. Not worth the risk. Agree with Aaronj
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2023, 05:24:55 PM »
Another great mic is Sennheiser, ME104, a very small (6mm) cardioid.This is a lav mic, and you can change omni, card and supercard caps even.A real good sounding and small microphone !
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2023, 12:44:07 AM »
Another great mic is Sennheiser, ME104, a very small (6mm) cardioid.This is a lav mic, and you can change omni, card and supercard caps even.A real good sounding and small microphone !

my current go to mics, not easy to soldering but @ the end worth the work  :yahoo:
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

Offline mrfender

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2023, 07:58:48 AM »
Running sp-cmc4 / at853 for years, real great workhorses. bought oversea from soundprofessionals and never any trouble. My advice, skip church audio. Not worth the risk. Agree with Aaronj

The mics are a tremendous bargain, it's buying from him directly that is the pain.
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline daze

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2023, 12:19:28 PM »
I bought a few BAT2B boxes a bunch of years back during a great sale.  I had a smooth transaction, and received them in a timely manner.  I'm very happy with the BAT2B's & their small profile.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com