Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rechargeable 9.6 volts in an Nbox (revisited)  (Read 41627 times)

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
Rechargeable 9.6 volts in an Nbox (revisited)
« on: August 15, 2009, 05:22:38 PM »
Rechargeable 9 volts in an Nbox (revisited)

original thread
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,90426.0.html
other related thread
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,43058.0.html

tired of buying 9 volts? I am giving rechargeable ONE more shot.
I highly recommend Thomas Distributing.

MAHA POWEREX 9.6 VOLT 230MAH NIMH
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/maha-powerex-96-volt-230mah-nimh-rechargeable-batterybr1-battery-pack-p-505.html?SP_id=&osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7

MAHA MH-C490F 9 VOLT BATTERY CHARGER 110V AC AND 12V DC POWER
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/maha-mhc490f-9-volt-battery-charger-110v-ac-and-12v-dc-power-free-storage-casebrincludes-free-storage-case-for-a-limited-timebronly-at-thomas-distributingbr4channel-smart-battery-chargerbrincludes-us-110v-adapter-and-12v-dc-power-cord-for-car-p-1464.html?SP_id=&osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7

After charging and discharging five times, here are the times i got with these

3 hours 50 minutes then reversed the 4 batteries with no charging
3 hours 35 minutes then all 4 batt are dead
-------------------------------------------------------------------
7 hours 25 minutes on one set of 4
I repeated this 4 more times and got almost the same exact run times

When inspecting the waveforms, the sound is perfect until the very end, there are a few spikes
sometimes loud static for a few seconds, then nothing.

I'm pretty sure if i discharge and recharge the batteries properly this time, i won't have any failures/user errors.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM by edtyre »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
Re: Rechargeable 9 volts in an Nbox (revisited)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 10:42:49 PM »
Thanks for the info Ed...The wife bought me 8 of these and a 10 battery charger for my birthday and I must say I am impressed with these bad boys..At full charge they have anywhere from 11.30 to 11.54 volts and seems to hold up well in the Nbox...Ran a 3 hours show the other night and tested them when I got home and they still had 10 volts on them..I give them a  :coolguy:

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 08:19:52 PM »
ive been using thomas distributing for a long time, def a great stop for batts and chargers
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 08:21:16 PM »
interesting. a little hot for the CMRs unfortuantely. (they spec it at 10V max which just covers a full 9V alkaline)

Thanks for the info Ed...The wife bought me 8 of these and a 10 battery charger for my birthday and I must say I am impressed with these bad boys..At full charge they have anywhere from 11.30 to 11.54 volts and seems to hold up well in the Nbox...Ran a 3 hours show the other night and tested them when I got home and they still had 10 volts on them..I give them a  :coolguy:
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 08:37:51 PM »
So, roughly how many nbox's are there out there?

2 reviews (including Nick) makes me "warm and fuzzy" but still a little bit scared, only because I remember someone in the past mentioning that they lost songs at a show because the rechargeables died early

I attached the soundforge look of a show were my 9v batteries died early, more for reference than anything else... and I tried using 9v that were partially used (save money and environment), here are the battery pre and post show (I was not tracking which slots they were in at the time):
8.24 > 7.49
8.24 > 7.50
8.01 > 7.84
8.00 > 7.60

I have been tracking (as best as possible) every show and the pre/post reports; deck used; approx time run; where in the venue.... interesting results, I can post the spreadsheet if anyone is interested.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 10:35:12 PM »
so whats a realistic battery life (assuming swap) with fresh alkalines in an nbox+?

2 reviews (including Nick) makes me "warm and fuzzy" but still a little bit scared, only because I remember someone in the past mentioning that they lost songs at a show because the rechargeables died early

I attached the soundforge look of a show were my 9v batteries died early, more for reference than anything else... and I tried using 9v that were partially used (save money and environment), here are the battery pre and post show (I was not tracking which slots they were in at the time):
8.24 > 7.49
8.24 > 7.50
8.01 > 7.84
8.00 > 7.60

I have been tracking (as best as possible) every show and the pre/post reports; deck used; approx time run; where in the venue.... interesting results, I can post the spreadsheet if anyone is interested.

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 11:28:58 PM »
I have 31 performances/shows (some times I have changed batteries at set breaks, etc) and I cant find a pattern or a common denominator with my own data

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 12:40:32 AM »

8.24 > 7.49
8.24 > 7.50
8.01 > 7.84
8.00 > 7.60

Am I missing something or are you saying that you would rather use used batteries than give these new 9 volt rechargables a go ???

These batteries listed are much better than 9 volt rechargeables from earlier years..Make sure you buy the proper charger for them...It's critical!

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 12:42:45 AM »
interesting. a little hot for the CMRs unfortuantely. (they spec it at 10V max which just covers a full 9V alkaline)

I don't think it would damage them in any way.

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 12:48:42 AM »
Am I missing something or are you saying that you would rather use used batteries than give these new 9 volt rechargables a go ???
These batteries listed are much better than 9 volt rechargeables from earlier years..Make sure you buy the proper charger for them...It's critical!

I am strictly trying to get some technical details and/or better information before I go out and buy batteries that a week ago everyone swore against (in the nBox thread)

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 10:00:52 AM »

I am strictly trying to get some technical details and/or better information before I go out and buy batteries that a week ago everyone swore against (in the nBox thread)

Well so far I see no issues with using these rechargeables...I have also numbered the 8 I have and am keeping track of how they are used to determine how long they last before no longer holding a good charge.

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 11:28:43 AM »

8.24 > 7.49
8.24 > 7.50
8.01 > 7.84
8.00 > 7.60

Note that we're talking about two entirely different beast here.
The (legacy) rechargeables marketed as 9V only had a nominal voltage of 8.4V.
Edtyre is reporting his results using true 9.6V rechargebles, which contain one extra internal NiMH cell compared to the legacy ones.

The OP might consider changing the subject for clarity...
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 11:32:14 AM »
tagging thread.  :)
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
Re: Rechargeable 9.6 volts in an Nbox (revisited)
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 05:39:59 PM »
Yes, i changed the thread to read "9.6 volt rechargeables"

These newer ones are what i tested. I saw what Nick posted and decided to
give rechargeables another shot. All of us are tired of using batteries and throwing
out ones with half a charge. For my stealthy applications the run times are fine.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
Re: Rechargeable 9.6 volts in an Nbox (revisited)
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 06:06:27 PM »
i took the plunge and ordered today :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com