Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rechargeable 9.6 volts in an Nbox (revisited)  (Read 41619 times)

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
Re: Rechargeable 9.6 volts in an Nbox (revisited)
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2010, 09:15:50 PM »
IMHO, they are a worth while investment, even with alkalines, you always have a chance of failure, even with a voltage test pre-show

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2010, 11:31:28 AM »
I've had 1 of my 10 batts go bad after about a year.  Cost me part of a set which certainly sucked.  I agree no power solution is failure-proof, so I'm still using the rechargeables.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Apogee Mini-MP / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2010, 12:48:50 AM »
Ping...pegging the thread
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2010, 03:10:43 AM »
A second failure tonight with the Maha Regargeables. 

Charger read Green.  Cool. 

Tested each battery.  Every one was 10v+.  Cool.

20 min into the show, NBox went dead.  After the show, I tested all four and there was one which was 2v. 

I have to say, in the couple hundred shows I've done, I've never, ever, had a real battery failure, and of the 20 shows I've done with rechargeables, I've had two failures. 

At $75-150 per ticket, I can ill afford to save the $5 on rechargeables. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2010, 04:12:29 AM »
I have a 4 battery charger...  and when the charger reads green lights on all batteries, I rotate batteries clockwise.  The lights usually turn red for a while, then green again.  Then if I have time, I rotate clockwise again...  and so on.  This seems to help bring all four batteries to approximately the same voltage when fully charged.

I started to do this after I had a battery failure.  On that occasion, all batteries read green lights....  then battery failure 20minutes into show.  After show I checked voltage, and one battery was down to 3volts.  The other three batteries read 10+volts.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2010, 10:08:49 AM »

Not to mention I have had 7 of my original 10 fail due to (6 melting and 1 having a contact fall off) :(

Why in the name of thomas edison would you be experiencing battery melt down?  Defective batteries?  What brand of batteries melted down?

There has got to be a better system for powering an Nbox than what is currently available.  Lots of bright folks here at TS, I'm kinda shocked that an effective alternate powering scheme hasn't been developed.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2010, 04:16:06 PM »
Is everyone who has experienced a rechargeable failure using this charger?

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/maha-mhc490f-9-volt-battery-charger-110v-ac-and-12v-dc-power-free-storage-casebrincludes-free-storage-case-for-a-limited-timebronly-at-thomas-distributingbr4channel-smart-battery-chargerbrincludes-us-110v-adapter-and-12v-dc-power-cord-for-car-p-1464.html?SP_id=&osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7

Trying to find out if we are all doing the same thing pre show.

Thats the charger i use. I haven't had a failure with any of the 9.6V batteries. I did have one failure with the 9V version
i used before these. Battery got real hot and swollen and wouldn't hold a charge.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2010, 09:17:34 PM »
^^^That's the charger I use with the True 9.6v Maha's.  I have eight batteries and two chargers....  and four "melted" batteries that I got second hand.   I've been using the melted/warped batteries with Church Audio gear, and they seem to work just fine....  they charge and hold charge as normal.....  but look all warped.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2010, 11:37:20 AM »
^^^That's the charger I use with the True 9.6v Maha's.  I have eight batteries and two chargers....  and four "melted" batteries that I got second hand.   I've been using the melted/warped batteries with Church Audio gear, and they seem to work just fine....  they charge and hold charge as normal.....  but look all warped.

^
I'd chuck the "melted" batteries.  What ever happened to cause that melting could not be good for the batteries and for whatever device they "melted" in.    As always, just my opinion.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2010, 01:30:39 PM »
Look, it's almost winter.  Save the melted batteries for crotching when waiting out in the cold to get in.  Let us know how that works :P

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2010, 08:32:03 PM »
^^^I usually wear a kevlar jock strap.....  so it's all good........  but then again, a little burn ain't too bad.  :-X

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2010, 11:45:58 PM »
Yep that's the charger, and am using true 9.6, or so it says on the battery. 

By the way, that same battery that was 2v, after 20 minutes, was 10v before the show, and I charged it the next day, and sure enough a solid green light and 10v+ on the meter.  How can I tell if will fail again?  Can't. 

The other issue I'm experiencing is volume fluctuation, like a cavatating, with the rechargeables.  For about a second, the volume drops by 50%, then resumes, then in another 5 minutes, another drop out. This is not a cord issue, as I've recorded a couple hours of pre-recorded music using my same cords, and the issue does not occur with regular batteries. 

What is maddening, is I really have to assume that when the light is green, the battery is 10v+; and I have to further assume that after I test it, and it is indeed 10v+, that it will hold that voltage for an 90 min or so.  I don't know why in three months, I've been so hexed with this damn things, but I do mainly stealth, and I can not sit there and watch the Edirol.  I really have to, in the word of Ron Popeil, set and forget it. 

I'm ditching the Maha charger and rechargeables.  I figure a land fill is a good place for these green carbon footprint saving rascals. 

Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Craig T

• LMA
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Apogee Mini-MP / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2010, 12:41:46 PM »
It is possible to build a real cycling battery tester that connects to your PC, and monitors voltage under load as the battery drains.  That would probably show some of the issues that develop with use and age.

It is important to remember that internally, a 9v battery is 6 individual batteries in series.  That's why 9 volt rechargeables are less common.   Combining two of them to make 18v in the nbox means connecting 12 cells in series.  That is an unusual configuration.   Any issue with an individual cell in the chain can muck things up.

Another gotcha with 9volts is that you aren't able to charge the internal cells individually, as with AA's.   So the potential for a smart charger to keep everything perfect is much more limited.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com