Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How can i reduce noise levels above certain db level across wave or section?  (Read 2450 times)

Offline daveydave

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie

It seems I can't find in my Sound Forge Books a way to easily do what I want to do.  It doesn't seem like this would be hard.
Here's what I want to do.

I've got a recording where the resulting wave file where the music stays primarily between -6db though - 6db on the other
side of the wave.  This is where 99% of the music is.  Occasionally, there is some music above -6db (usually a loud cymbal crash or something), but the majority of the spikes above -6db through -2.5db are hand clapps that I would like to perform a
volume reduction on. 

If I highlight an area or the entire wave, is there anyway to cut all noise louder than -6db by a
variable such as - 3db, or cut it to - 6db so that I have some consistency before normalizing the audio?

Sure, I can cut the claps manually, but that's time consuming when I know that all of the spikes above -6db in a 2 minute section
are all clapping.  What's the easy way to drop these down in the mix?  I would assume this would help the recording out so that I can get the most out of normalization / compression. 

I also have access to Cool Edit, Audacity, and some other stuff and i'm not tied to any single tool, or to just one. 

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated and I would be glad to start an FAQ or document for those that want to learn how best to master their live recordings.

Dave

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
It's called COMPRESSION. Read up on it...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
It's called COMPRESSION. Read up on it...

Audition / CEP has an excellent Help file.  Start there and come back with questions if you have 'em.  And don't bother at all with Audacity for compression - it's a broken feature at the moment.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Can’t speak for Audicity as I really have not seen it in action. But you may find That using Eq's, Compression and other effects In certain order's Will result in different outcomes. 

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
Here are some excellent posts on compression..

http://www.lintrophx.com/southside/compression_uncompressed.zip  (VERY GOOD)

Wow, I am just starting to learn how to remaster my recordings -- I've been struggling the past two days with these very issues -- using Sound Studio trying everything to get the overall volume up -- and I just happen to come across your post with this link.  I'm going to spend tomorrow reading up on this.         I would +T you if I could....
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline Bart.VL71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Use a limiter.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com