Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD MixPre-3/6 v. Zoom F4/8?  (Read 10223 times)

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
SD MixPre-3/6 v. Zoom F4/8?
« on: June 26, 2018, 01:53:48 PM »
Edit to add by BSkalinder:  This thread was split from another one dedicated to the MixPre-3/-6, so some of the posts may not quite fit this new thread. 

Congrats!

I just sold my DR-70D as well but I'm not sure which one of the F4/F8/MixPre 3 to get.

When I got the Tascam a while back I was worried that four tracks might not be enough for the future but the F8 was a bit high in price.
The need for more channels never occurred but the handling and SQ of the Tascam left me with a wish for better sound and less fiddly handling.
I mostly do foley, nature recordings, on videocamera and occational some harmonica and audition/rehearsals.

But as the F8 have dropped massively in price the F4, F8 and mixpre 3 are pretty much in the same price segment give or take some.

I really love the size and handling of the mixpre and the SQ appears to be everything I've asked for.
But the Zooms - especially the F8 - offer some additional inputs and features like TC etc.

Did you ever consider the F8 or even the F4 before you got the mixpre?

I'm the proud new owner of a MixPre 6!
Most recently, I had a Tascam DR-70D (currently FS) and I feel like it's a big upgrade.
I've always admired Sound Devices quality and sound and I'm very excited to use it in the field in about a month.
Thanks for all the info in the last +/- 75 pages of these threads. It took awhile, but I managed to pull quite a lot of useful tips and feel very comfortable with it already.
If anyone here runs Jim Williams 460s, please chime in!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:04:45 PM by Brian Skalinder »

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: SD MixPre-3/6 v. Zoom F4/8?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 02:24:17 PM »
Congrats!

I just sold my DR-70D as well but I'm not sure which one of the F4/F8/MixPre 3 to get.

When I got the Tascam a while back I was worried that four tracks might not be enough for the future but the F8 was a bit high in price.
The need for more channels never occurred but the handling and SQ of the Tascam left me with a wish for better sound and less fiddly handling.
I mostly do foley, nature recordings, on videocamera and occational some harmonica and audition/rehearsals.

But as the F8 have dropped massively in price the F4, F8 and mixpre 3 are pretty much in the same price segment give or take some.

I really love the size and handling of the mixpre and the SQ appears to be everything I've asked for.
But the Zooms - especially the F8 - offer some additional inputs and features like TC etc.

Most recently, I had a Tascam DR-70D (currently FS) and I feel like it's a big upgrade.
I've always admired Sound Devices quality and sound and I'm very excited to use it in the field in about a month.
Thanks for all the info in the last +/- 75 pages of these threads. It took awhile, but I managed to pull quite a lot of useful tips and feel very comfortable with it already.

I owned a F8 (nought long before the Mixpre-3/6 were available) and a F4 and now I have a Mixpre-6.  I like my Mixpre-6 but the F4/F8 are also excellent. Having had both, these are the things I like/disliked:

The Mixpre-x series:

I like the size and design of the recorders
I like that you can use XLRs all time and just switch between line in and microphone
The preamps are great, the analog limiters are excellent
You can use the audio interface (to lets says stream) at the same time as recording
Sound Devices is a great company, with a long history of professional equipment and great support

On the negative side, There have been a lot of firmware issues and I find the design choices really odd in many cases (they are marketed as recorders but, to me, they are really closer to their mixer series and the mixpre-6 usb powering is a shakey solution in my opinion). There are also apparently issues recording at 192.

The F4/F8:

The menu-ing systems on these are well thought out in my opinion
Dual SD recording
Easy powering options
Good preamps, maybe not as good as the SD (it's hard to tell really)

On the negative side. some early F8s had white sceen issue where an internal ribbon came loose and their support took quite a while to acknowledge it. having to use 1/4 for line in and XLRs for microphones was veyr annoying to me. The gain knobs on the F8 are awfully small. The headset amp sucks.  This is a prosumer device and company and the support you get is not necessarily up to the level of SD support
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:25:59 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 02:33:42 PM »
I owned a F8 (nought long before the Mixpre-3/6 were available) and a F4 and now I have a Mixpre-6.  I like my Mixpre-6 but the F4/F8 are also excellent. Having had both, these are the things I like/disliked:

The Mixpre-x series:

I like that you can use XLRs all time and just switch between line in and microphone
You can use the audio interface (to lets says stream) at the same time as recording
Sound Devices is a great company, with a long history of professional equipment and great support

On the negative side, There have been a lot of firmware issues and I find the design choices really odd in many cases (they are marketed as recorders but, to me, they are really closer to their mixer series and the mixpre-6 usb powering is a shakey solution in my opinion). There are also apparently issues recording at 192.

I do not believe that the highlighted part is true for outbound streaming while recording via mics/line in.  The USB jack is input only and not output.  I do know that I have successfully used it as an USB interface to record inbound signals, but on my PC as soon as I hit record it mutes my PC headphones and I do not have a mini set to monitor what I am recording.  I am sure that it may be a simple setting but I am usually too rushed to get it set up.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 02:53:24 PM »

The Mixpre-x series:

I do not believe that the highlighted part is true for outbound streaming while recording via mics/line in.  The USB jack is input only and not output.  I do know that I have successfully used it as an USB interface to record inbound signals, but on my PC as soon as I hit record it mutes my PC headphones and I do not have a mini set to monitor what I am recording.  I am sure that it may be a simple setting but I am usually too rushed to get it set up.

Sorry but you are wrong. I have streamed shows several times via the USB-a port while recording (line in and microphones).

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-6

"The versatile MixPre-6 makes an excellent USB audio interface, offering the unique ability to record audio to an SD card while simultaneously streaming multiple channels of audio via USB. "

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 09:47:03 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 08:05:51 PM »
Thank you for your thoughts and view on pros/cons.

I appears that the mixpre 3 is probably the way I should go.
As I've never lost audio, video or photo due to a bad memory card. I do shoot to dual cards for video and still photography but not a single card have ever failed me. So it's perhaps time to trust SD as well. :)

The Mixpre-x series:

The F4/F8:

Dual SD recording
Easy powering options

On the negative side. some early F8s had white sceen issue where an internal ribbon came loose and their support took quite a while to acknowledge it. having to use 1/4 for line in and XLRs for microphones was veyr annoying to me. The gain knobs on the F8 are awfully small. The headset amp sucks.  This is a prosumer device and company and the support you get is not necessarily up to the level of SD support

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 05:01:22 AM »
Congrats!

For my personal purposes the Zoom F8n once announced was so clearly superior to the MixPre series that they never even had half a chance (although the MixPre10T was at least in the running for a half chance until the F8n got announced).

btw, if you feel like you might sometimes need more than 4 channels and you're on a budget, then the Zoom F4 would be an excellent choice for you (if the F8n is unaffordable) as you can easily do 5/6 channels with the F4 in a pinch (I am doing this all the time. But looking forward to the F8n with its eight channels).

Oh, and I don't know about you, but if you need TC like I do then the MixPre6 is hopeless as you lose inputs 5/6 to TC. (not to mention all the other flaws like weird headphone dial positioning and no pre roll etc etc)

I appears that the mixpre 3 is probably the way I should go.

Be warned that the MixPre3 has even more limitations than the MixPre6 has, such as no phase inversion and no 192KHz recordings.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:09:06 AM by IronFilm »

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 05:06:03 AM »

The Mixpre-x series:

The F4/F8:

Dual SD recording
Easy powering options

I'll note that nearly all those pros of the MixPre series the new F8n (or even F4/F8) now has those as well:

Design: tick! In my opinion the F series does this better than the MixPre series (such as weird headphone or hirose positions?!)
Line/mic: tick! The F8n is switchable now
Preamps/limiters: tick! Great preamps, has new improved hybrid limiters.
Audio interface: tick! The F8n can both be used as one *and* record at the same time.
Support: tick! Zoom has been very impressive indeed in this area with their F4/F8 already.

Aside from the brand "name" I struggle to think of any solid good reasons why I'd prefer the MixPre10T over the F8n. (I'm assuming I'll not need that extra 9/10th input any time soon! And anyway, in terms of number of XLR inputs the F8 and MixPre10T are the same)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:15:13 AM by IronFilm »

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 07:51:52 AM »
^ You are using your recorder for a different reason than most folk on TS!  A majority of people are using their recorders for live concerts and the Mixpre-6 is a great all in one solution for that purpose.  You can run 4 mics and still grab a SBD feed.  It is small, light weight, and easy to use.  Also for me Sound Devices name and customer service is another reason to own a Mixpre-6.  They have been producing high end audio products for a long time an have a proven track record.   
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 08:48:39 AM »
You can run 4 mics and still grab a SBD feed.

To be fair, the F8 can do that as well.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 09:56:23 AM »
The cost for the F8n and MixPre-6/10 are simply too high for me. Which means that any benefit or feature they do offer are out of my reach anyway.
So it's one of the F4/F8 or MixPre-3.

As I do most work alone and also carry other equipment with me. I feel that the handling and size are perhaps more important the additional channels as they do add to the requirements for more equipment as well.

The Zooms offers:
Additional channels but would more be there in case I discover I need them another time.
Dual card slots are great but not a necessity for me.
Powering options are good to have, but I do power supplies and battery packs myself so that's not important.

The MixPre-3 offers:
Tiny size yet great transport and knob control which are back lit.
Mic/Line switching and USB I/O with option to do 12 channels with plugin.
Good headphone amp.

I know many of you are concert recordists which I'm not.
With a larger budget I would go for the mixpre-6 or F8n.
But it's not :/

If these decisions would have been in the digital camera world I would not be struggling with this :)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 09:59:07 AM »
With size as a priority, I think you're right that the MixPre-3 has the edge over the F4/F8.  Not that the F4/F8 are huge, but that MixPre-3 is pretty tiny!
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 10:57:08 AM »
I'm not saying it can't I was just saying different strokes for different folks.   

You can run 4 mics and still grab a SBD feed.

To be fair, the F8 can do that as well.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 11:03:41 AM »

Sorry but you are wrong. I have streamed shows several times via the USB-a port while recording (line in and microphones).

"The versatile MixPre-6 makes an excellent USB audio interface, offering the unique ability to record audio to an SD card while simultaneously streaming multiple channels of audio via USB. "

Yep, my bad.  So if I change USB to Stereo out what routes to the USB?  I think that maybe what I was mistaken about it that we may have no control over routing certain channels or pairs to the USB out.  There must be a reason that I have not tried this yet.

Also, what USB device do you connect to your MP-X?
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 11:32:57 AM »

Yep, my bad.  So if I change USB to Stereo out what routes to the USB?  I think that maybe what I was mistaken about it that we may have no control over routing certain channels or pairs to the USB out.  There must be a reason that I have not tried this yet.

Also, what USB device do you connect to your MP-X?

I have used mine in conjunction with an iPad for streaming. Despite some early comments I saw by SD reps, if you connect an iPad to the Mixpre-x USB-A port (lightning to USB-A), the iPad sees the Mixpre as an audio interface. If you are using a Mixpre-6, you need to be running an app on the iPad side which recognizes multi-channel, like AUM. In AUM, I select the stereo pair I want to stream and ship it to mixlr via Audiobus. The 10t is different and allows you to set whether the output is stereo or multi-channel - you can set it to stereo and the iPad just sees a normal stereo input, which something like mixlr can see without help. The one overall downside is that the app on the iPad dictates  the sampling/bit rate for the recording once its connected. I ended up with a whole run of 24/44.1 recordings (versus 24/48) before I realized this. Also, you don't need to change anything on the Mixpre end in terms of USB settings etc

I have not tried connecting to a computer to use the Mixpre with a DAW etc but I believe you would use the USB-C to dual USB-A cable and connect to the USB-c port on the Mixpre. You also need to change the USB setting to data. You would need the ASIO driver on Windows. And I dont think you need to set anything else on the Mixpre, the computer would just see the audio interface channels.

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 11:47:30 AM »
With size as a priority, I think you're right that the MixPre-3 has the edge over the F4/F8.  Not that the F4/F8 are huge, but that MixPre-3 is pretty tiny!

Ridiculous tiny, truly truly insy teeny tiny! Is the one thing that massively stood out in my mind when I first got to handle the MixPre3.

So yes, any one who places an extreme premium on size should consider the MixPre3. (I reckon they're also good for camera ops who are rigging their recorders up into their rig, which is a dumb idea... but if you're going to do it, then the MixPre3 is the way to go! As it keeps the rig's total size down with the very small and compact MixPre3)

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 12:14:32 PM »

I'll note that nearly all those pros of the MixPre series the new F8n (or even F4/F8) now has those as well:

Design: tick! In my opinion the F series does this better than the MixPre series (such as weird headphone or hirose positions?!)
Audio interface: tick! The F8n can both be used as one *and* record at the same time.
Support: tick! Zoom has been very impressive indeed in this area with their F4/F8 already.

Aside from the brand "name" I struggle to think of any solid good reasons why I'd prefer the MixPre10T over the F8n. (I'm assuming I'll not need that extra 9/10th input any time soon! And anyway, in terms of number of XLR inputs the F8 and MixPre10T are the same)

dude, do you work for Zoom? it seems your sole purpose on this forum is to relentlessly promote the F8n. i'm not saying the F8n is going to be a bad product or anything, but this is a forum for concert tapers, not people who do tv/film sound. maybe the F8n will be great for tv/film sound purposes, that's awesome. and maybe some people who do record concerts will want it too. but it looks to be significantly bulkier and heavier than the MixPre 3 or 6, so it is not going to be nearly as versatile as those units are for recording concerts, especially for stealth situations where the Mixpre can be much more easily slipped into a coat pocket and worn on the body than the F8n.

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 01:47:09 PM »
I've owned both the F8 and currently own the mixpre-3.  Both are good units.  It's looking like the F8n improves on an already good product.

If you want to promote the F8 or the F8n, why not do it in the appropriate forum?

Claiming the new F8n is better in a Sound Devices forum seems a bit combative, though I do appreciate posts comparing and contrasting gear.

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 07:05:26 PM »
Thats really nice!
I was thinking about any possibilities with routing channels thru USB I/O for backup but never thought of iOS as an option.
The MixPre-3 might be the smallest, most portable yet best speced lightning audio interfaces available?

By running an 24/96 audio recording app on a large capacity iPhone you would be able to use that as backup recording? :)

Wonder if Motiv, iRig, Røde Rec or n-track would manage this smooth,

I have used mine in conjunction with an iPad for streaming. Despite some early comments I saw by SD reps, if you connect an iPad to the Mixpre-x USB-A port (lightning to USB-A), the iPad sees the Mixpre as an audio interface. If you are using a Mixpre-6, you need to be running an app on the iPad side which recognizes multi-channel, like AUM. In AUM, I select the stereo pair I want to stream and ship it to mixlr via Audiobus. The 10t is different and allows you to set whether the output is stereo or multi-channel - you can set it to stereo and the iPad just sees a normal stereo input, which something like mixlr can see without help. The one overall downside is that the app on the iPad dictates  the sampling/bit rate for the recording once its connected. I ended up with a whole run of 24/44.1 recordings (versus 24/48) before I realized this. Also, you don't need to change anything on the Mixpre end in terms of USB settings etc

I have not tried connecting to a computer to use the Mixpre with a DAW etc but I believe you would use the USB-C to dual USB-A cable and connect to the USB-c port on the Mixpre. You also need to change the USB setting to data. You would need the ASIO driver on Windows. And I dont think you need to set anything else on the Mixpre, the computer would just see the audio interface channels.

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 11:18:17 PM »

dude, do you work for Zoom? it seems your sole purpose on this forum is to relentlessly promote the F8n. i'm not saying the F8n is going to be a bad product or anything, but this is a forum for concert tapers, not people who do tv/film sound. maybe the F8n will be great for tv/film sound purposes, that's awesome. and maybe some people who do record concerts will want it too. but it looks to be significantly bulkier and heavier than the MixPre 3 or 6, so it is not going to be nearly as versatile as those units are for recording concerts, especially for stealth situations where the Mixpre can be much more easily slipped into a coat pocket and worn on the body than the F8n.

Nope, I don't work for Zoom, I just work full time as a freelance sound recordist. And I won't dispute that although the F8n is small, the MixPre6/MixPre3 are truly teeny tinier! But that wasn't what I was responding to about its size.
I do feel that the Zoom F series get looked down at vs a MixPre too often, so I'm clarifying that information for others that F8n has these features as well.

Claiming the new F8n is better in a Sound Devices forum seems a bit combative, though I do appreciate posts comparing and contrasting gear.

This isn't a Sound Devices forum.  That is other here: https://forums.sounddevices.com/forum

Although it is archived now, so more appropriately perhaps here then, which is run by Sound Devices staff:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/sounddevices/

But I was replying to a comparison of Zoom vs SD, thus was appropriate enough I chipped in with 2c with more info on those points.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:22:03 PM by IronFilm »

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 05:22:51 AM »

This isn't a Sound Devices forum. 

:hmmm:

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 10:36:11 AM »

Yes you could record on the iphone instead of passing the audio on to mixlr for streaming. AUM can record and n-track etc should work

Thats really nice!
I was thinking about any possibilities with routing channels thru USB I/O for backup but never thought of iOS as an option.
The MixPre-3 might be the smallest, most portable yet best speced lightning audio interfaces available?

By running an 24/96 audio recording app on a large capacity iPhone you would be able to use that as backup recording? :)

Wonder if Motiv, iRig, Røde Rec or n-track would manage this smooth,

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 01:00:35 PM »

The Mixpre-x series:

FYI, the MixPre can operate as a USB input or output whilst it is recording. Not quite sure about what in your setup is causing this issue without a deeper dive. Contact our tech support if you need to be walked through this.

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »

Claiming the new F8n is better in a Sound Devices forum seems a bit combative

This isn't a Sound Devices forum.  That is other here: https://forums.sounddevices.com/forum

Oh come on, don't be purposely obtuse and split hairs on semantics. The word he probably should've used is thread, not forum, but his point is valid -- that it really is a little annoying to be coming into threads that are dedicated to discussing one piece of gear made by one company, and make a bunch of posts in that thread arguing that another piece of gear made by another company is superior.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:09:20 PM by junkyardt »

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 01:18:21 PM »
FYI, the MixPre can operate as a USB input or output whilst it is recording. Not quite sure about what in your setup is causing this issue without a deeper dive. Contact our tech support if you need to be walked through this.

Paul, for me it was not SD related but it was Android related.  I was trying to run an analog signal out of the MP-6 into a USB interface because I was under the impression that the USB-A did not pass audio out.  I never even tried USB out. 

So, it turns out that a lot of Android devices fail to recognize USB input as an audio device.  I was able to get a recording app to work fine but not Mixlr so I stopped trying.  (my purpose was to stream my recordings live, in the moment via Mixlr)

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=184766.msg2253725#msg2253725

Now that I have a newer Android device and the knowledge that the MP-6 passes USB out so I will try again.  This time I will go directly from MP-6 USB to Pixel 2 XL and see if I can get it to fly through Mixlr.

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 04:56:43 PM »

Claiming the new F8n is better in a Sound Devices forum seems a bit combative

Oh come on, don't be purposely obtuse and split hairs on semantics. The word he probably should've used is thread, not forum, but his point is valid -- that it really is a little annoying to be coming into threads that are dedicated to discussing one piece of gear made by one company, and make a bunch of posts in that thread arguing that another piece of gear made by another company is superior.

Umm, this thread is titled "SD MixPre 3/6 vs. Zoom 4/8." So the thread is in fact about comparing SD and Zoom gear, not just discussing SD gear.  FWIW, I own and like both SD and Zoom gear.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2018, 05:00:22 PM »
Maybe they don't apply to you, but there are a number of reasons why others might prefer the MixPre recorders, such as responsive touch screens (a lot less twist/press cycles through menus), class A discrete pres, analog limiters, ability to take hotter input signals, ability to save presets for different configurations, and P48 on line inputs (among others).  The long and short of it is that both product lines have their pluses and minuses; each user will have a different take on which is better for their needs.  As jbell put it, "different strokes for different folks".

Nope, I don't work for Zoom, I just work full time as a freelance sound recordist fluff their products relentlessly.

Fixed that for you. ;)

I do feel that the Zoom F series get looked down at vs a MixPre too often, so I'm clarifying that information for others that F8n has these features as well.

Maybe that is true on JW, or wherever else, but I think that both the F4/8 and MixPre-3/6/10 are well received here and many members have one or the other or both.  I can't really recall any posts, excluding yours, that "look down" on either...

Umm, this thread is titled "SD MixPre 3/6 vs. Zoom 4/8." So the thread is in fact about comparing SD and Zoom gear, not just discussing SD gear.  FWIW, I own and like both SD and Zoom gear.

Brian split this thread off from the MixPre-3 and 6, part 5 thread.

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2018, 05:50:51 PM »
OK.  I haven't been following the other thread.  I assumed this had always been its own thread.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2018, 03:02:06 PM »
Today my new little MixPre-3 arrived.
Gosh what a tiny thing it is. :)

It’s obvious they have cut down on the quality for some parts but over all it’s a very nice step up from the DR-70D.
Now I need to do some connector soldering, cable routing and modifying some power packs.

And connecting it to my iPhone brought up a notice it might not be supported but it did output audio over lightning/usb as it should.

The presets for headphones and channels setup are very nice to have!

Offline jmitchell

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »
This was my comparison of the F8 & MixPre-6.  It is about as fair as I know how to do.  This was CK3 > 451 > MP6 & CK3 > 451 > F8.  The same type of cable was used, the mics were set up right next to one another, almost the exact same distance from the stage.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OnGMpP80UF9zKlT4ffz5FkN_J83J4ZN3
AKG C451E, CK1, CK22, CK3
Telefunken M60, TK60, TK62
Studio Projects C4 Cards & Omni
CA-14 Cards & Omni
Audioroot Femto, Sound Devices MixPre-D
Sound Devices MixPre-6, Zoom F8n, Roland R-05

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 04:23:13 PM »
Thank you!
My guess is that the B is the MP6.

This was my comparison of the F8 & MixPre-6.  It is about as fair as I know how to do.  This was CK3 > 451 > MP6 & CK3 > 451 > F8.  The same type of cable was used, the mics were set up right next to one another, almost the exact same distance from the stage.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OnGMpP80UF9zKlT4ffz5FkN_J83J4ZN3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 55 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com