Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661  (Read 135810 times)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Re: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2010, 02:34:49 AM »
Wasn't sure where to post this info, so I'll put it here. I wanted to know the relative recording settings on three different pieces of gear using the same source material played back on my stereo (haven't had an open taping opportunity yet).

I was comparing the 661, the FR2-le, and an Oade T+mod UA-5 > 661. Here are the settings and gear.

Playback: hhb 830 Burnit CD burner > Primare A20 > GMA Europa / ACI Force sub.

Studio Projects LSD2, cards @ 120º > 661: -12 pad engaged, gain knob @ 6; peak at -2.9db
Studio Projects LSD2, cards @ 120º > FR2-le: mic input almost maxed (4:00), main gain knob set to almost 3:00; peak at -0.9db
Studio Projects LSD2, cards @ 120º > T+mod UA-5: gain almost maxed (4:30) > 661; peak at -3.5db

The resulting files' peak levels were close, but not exact. Trying to be considerate of my neighbors, I only ran one test per rig. If I were to bring all this gear to one concert, I could set up one rig and then be in the ball park when setting levels with the other gear.

It also seems that the Marantz has the most available gain range for unamplified music. Not sure if the -18db pad will be enough for a really loud show (though the LSD2 also has a -10db pad). It's also uncommon to be able to set the mic input so high on the FR-2le in normal concert settings. The 12:00 setting is more common, or even below 9:00 when using mics a little more sensitive than the LSD2. The UA-5 has the least amount of gain.

I haven't done any critical listening of the files yet, provided I can hear any noticeable difference in the recordings at all.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #211 on: March 20, 2010, 12:44:29 PM »

Would I be correct in saying that the non-rechargeable, "Energizer Ultimate Lithium" batteries would not be gauged accurately by either of the 661's battery meter options:

1. alkaline

2. NiMH

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #212 on: March 20, 2010, 01:52:02 PM »

Would I be correct in saying that the non-rechargeable, "Energizer Ultimate Lithium" batteries would not be gauged accurately by either of the 661's battery meter options:

1. alkaline

2. NiMH

Haven't tried them yet in the 661, but found the Energizer Ultimate Lithiums worked steadily along for a very long time with my wireless mouse reading 100%-99% but suddenly one day they were at 15% and needed replacement. 

Similar results are likely with the recorder since Marantz didn't include a setting for Lithium batteries, maybe this is something they could add in a software update. 
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2010, 02:33:18 PM »

1. alkaline

2. NiMH

Haven't tried them yet in the 661, but found the Energizer Ultimate Lithiums worked steadily along for a very long time with my wireless mouse reading 100%-99% but suddenly one day they were at 15% and needed replacement. 

Similar results are likely with the recorder since Marantz didn't include a setting for Lithium batteries, maybe this is something they could add in a software update.
^^
Yes, I had a similar result for a recent Umphrey's show - I went from 100% to dead with no warning - luckily I had spare batteries with me and I was running a second rig too.   I lost a few minutes for that pull, but no biggie as I will patch from my other source.

I kept thinking to myself  "damn those batteries are lasting a long time".   ;)  I was distracted but I should have known better.   The batteries lasted about 6 hours running the 661 as a bit bucket @ 24/96.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:35:38 PM by dactylus »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #214 on: March 27, 2010, 12:36:50 PM »

Can anyone provide a working link for the latest firmware upgrade?  The D&M link doesn't work for me.  Thanks!!

Marantz has a new firmware update on their website.
Version A1.16 - released July 8, 2009

If you download the zip file with the firmware update, there's also a .doc file with details on what has changed.  it looks like not much:

PMD661 v.1.16 Firmware Details:

Resolved issues below:
1. By using pitch control, the unit locks up at audio files recorded at 24 bit 96 kHz.
2. EDL marks corrupt file date created properties.

I haven't yet updated, and I'm not in any rush, as I don't use either of the two features that had issues resolved by this firmware.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »
Tried the D&M link after spotting your post, it worked for me and I was able to download.

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=4405&Tab=FAQ
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #216 on: March 27, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »
Tried the D&M link after spotting your post, it worked for me and I was able to download.

Thanks!! - Windows Explorer will NOT connect to this link for me - I'll try another browser. 

Mozilla Firefox will NOT connect to this link for me either.   WTF?

::)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 01:36:33 PM by dactylus »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #217 on: March 27, 2010, 02:12:36 PM »

Thanks!! - Windows Explorer will NOT connect to this link for me - I'll try another browser. 

I cannot download this update - Are there any other links to the newest firmware?  My security software does not appear to be the problem and neither are my firewall settings.    ???

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #218 on: March 27, 2010, 04:42:40 PM »

I cannot download this update - Are there any other links to the newest firmware?  My security software does not appear to be the problem and neither are my firewall settings.    ???

D&M must be having website problems the link isn't working for me now either.  Tried Safari where it worked before and Mozilla Firefox but neither work right now for me either.  I had downloaded the file earlier today it's 377KB zipped and could send it to you, I'm not aware of any other download sources.  Send me a PM with your e-mail.

Hey maybe they'll come back with a new update that includes a setting for Lithium Batteries ; )

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #219 on: March 27, 2010, 09:14:24 PM »
^^

The D&M link is working now and I have the update - thanks for the offer to help!!

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #220 on: March 28, 2010, 10:01:56 PM »
I have been off the taping scene the last couple of years due to several stays @ the hospital. Feeling better and ready to go back to my favorite hobby. I still love the sound from my MBHO 603a> MP-2 but want to upgrade from my sbm-1 mod >jb3. Would you suggest the concert mod 661 or warm mod 661 to go with my MBHOs>MP-2? I am planning to pick it up for teh Wanee festival or latest for WSP @ Orange Beach.

Thanks for the input  :D

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2010, 02:06:34 PM »
I have been off the taping scene the last couple of years due to several stays @ the hospital. Feeling better and ready to go back to my favorite hobby. I still love the sound from my MBHO 603a> MP-2 but want to upgrade from my sbm-1 mod >jb3. Would you suggest the concert mod 661 or warm mod 661 to go with my MBHOs>MP-2? I am planning to pick it up for teh Wanee festival or latest for WSP @ Orange Beach.

Thanks for the input  :D

I have found the MBHO sound to trend towards a flat sound rather than bright, so I would say Concert Mod would probably work best. Warm is better sounding to me with mics that tend to be on the bright side. Now, running a preamp may want you to swing to the warm for that, and also because the line in on the WMOD sounds real nice on SBD patches, IMO.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 02:10:27 PM by DATBRAD »
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #222 on: March 31, 2010, 08:39:11 PM »
Thanks. I was leaning towards the concert mod 661 but was looking for another opinion. Somewhere I read mics w/good bass (Schoeps, MBHOs, Neumans) that the warm mod can muddy up the bass where bright mics (AKG, Earthworks) would benefit from the warm mod w/some additional bass. It looks like my deposit will not be untill 4/15 so I'll be testing out the concert mod 661 @ Orange Beach.

Also I read somewhere that Doug removes the rca out but can keep it if you want to. Why would he remove them unless absolutly needed?

Thanks again.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2010, 11:17:35 PM »
The RCA outs work fine on my concert 661. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #224 on: April 01, 2010, 09:42:42 AM »
Thanks. I was leaning towards the concert mod 661 but was looking for another opinion. Somewhere I read mics w/good bass (Schoeps, MBHOs, Neumans) that the warm mod can muddy up the bass where bright mics (AKG, Earthworks) would benefit from the warm mod w/some additional bass. It looks like my deposit will not be untill 4/15 so I'll be testing out the concert mod 661 @ Orange Beach.

Also I read somewhere that Doug removes the rca out but can keep it if you want to. Why would he remove them unless absolutly needed?

Thanks again.

I think you are on the right track with your assessment of some different brands of mics that work best with each mod. The FET chips in the warm mod do indeed thicken the bass in the upper registers just below the midrange while at the same time sweetening the high end, which is what makes it sound "warm".  The concert mod is transparent, with the opamp chips used being of the same type as the stock unit, bipolar transistors, but with improved noise and distortion performance.

BTW, there is nothing anywhere I can find in Doug's mod description that mentions an option for disabling the RCA outs on the 661, and the RCAs on mine also work just fine.

Hope this helps........
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com