Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V2 levels  (Read 12980 times)

LookDontTouch

• Trade Count: (0)
V2 levels
« on: November 10, 2004, 11:48:04 AM »
Kids,

I did Wilco the other night (Fillmore Denver) and ran my levels really hot. When i open the file up in CDWav, very little of the music was actually clipped, but the levels run into the red quite a bit. Now, if i accept the slight clipping, is there any other problem with this? i.e is the music being distorted at that level even if its not clipping? I think it sounds good, but what the hell do I know?

Thanks,
LDT

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: V2 levels
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 12:12:05 PM »
the V2 sounds clean at all gains. with a lesser pre you risk coloration and distortion as you increase the gain. I wouldn't worry about running the V2 hot, but you might want to back it off a bit if there is audible clipping or substantial visible evidence of clipping. I like my levels hot so someone else might recommend that you back them down a bit more.

So are you a new CO taper? I was at the show, actually stood right behind the section all night... fantastic show. What did you run?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 12:16:26 PM »
heyNOW!
hmm..  I need more information..   Microphones used?   A>D converter?  what recording device?

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 12:23:57 PM »
You should run your V2 at whatever amount of gain gets you appropriate levels into your ADC.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 12:26:01 PM »
duh... you guys are right. I was thinking of just the V2 and it's characteristics without thinking about how the whole rig works together...

what I said wasn't wrong but they are correct, we need to know the rest of the rig to give you better guidance.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

LookDontTouch

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 12:28:59 PM »
the V2 sounds clean at all gains. with a lesser pre you risk coloration and distortion as you increase the gain. I wouldn't worry about running the V2 hot, but you might want to back it off a bit if there is audible clipping or substantial visible evidence of clipping. I like my levels hot so someone else might recommend that you back them down a bit more.

So are you a new CO taper? I was at the show, actually stood right behind the section all night... fantastic show. What did you run?

Yeah... we actually stood together and talked about Wilco! I'm Eric's buddy Jim. I'm just getting back on this board.
My rig is MBHO hypers and an ADC-20. I thought they sounded real nice, but wanted another opinion. The clipping was really sporadic, and it was during real loud, feedback laden parts, so i don't think i could tell anyway.

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 12:30:44 PM »
Ha! what's up Jim... I didn't know you were on here.

what do you run behind the V2?

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 12:41:43 PM »
I think when the V2 red light up you have 6dB of headroom until clipping? Not positive about the # but there is some good info about this on the sonicsense website under the section about calibrating your preamp and ADC together.

Take care,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

LookDontTouch

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 12:43:34 PM »

MBHO>V2>ADC-20

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 12:56:25 PM »
yes  ben..   i think it is -6 db when the red comes on..  and -14 db for the green light.. 

I personally run the v2 conservatively and my dap1's input wide open.. so I allmost never see those red lights..  but from what i understand, you can push the v2 hard.. 

I am not familiar with the adc-20 at all.. so I cant help you there..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 01:06:59 PM »

MBHO>V2>ADC-20

that's easy then... follow the instructions on this page

http://www.sonicsense.com/calpage.htm

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 04:01:38 PM »

MBHO>V2>ADC-20

Ah, well then it is simple, you can just adjust on the V2 since the cal-pots on the ADC20 have no effect anyway!   ;D

Just kidding, but I remember when my buddy first got an ADC20 and we took it out. We were turning the crap out of the pots both ways, they would just spin and spin and we couldn't even tell if anything was happening from looking at the levels on his HHb. Big  -t to Graham-Patten for such a crappy design. At least it sounded decent though... (481>V2>ADC20).

Take care,
Ben

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 06:46:38 PM »
Ben - syrek?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 08:57:42 PM »
When I got my V2, I talked to a few people who told me that you need to run the V2 with the red lights blinking to get the best sound, but that often pushed the levels so high that the SBM1 had to be run below it's optimal level.  I called Grace and they told me that the V2 will sound the same at any gain level.  So the best bet is to set your ADC within it's optimal range and set the V2 to a compatible gain even if that means a low setting without a red light flashing.

For what it worth, I did run the V2 hard several times and never had a problem with it clipping. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 10:17:55 PM »
Ben - syrek?

not Jamie, but basically the same rig he used to run...

Offline Tim

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 10:25:17 PM »
gotcha...

tell Jason and Molly that Dennis and Val and I say hello...

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 10:59:35 PM »
I run my V2 at quite low level because of the device it feeds into (A62 - consumer line level).  And it sounds great!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2004, 10:20:49 AM »
I run my V2 at quite low level because of the device it feeds into (A62 - consumer line level).  And it sounds great!

so i guess you're liking the v2?   ;D
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 04:01:08 PM »

oh man...I love it.  And I believe it's a piece of gear I will keep forever.  I really don't think there's gonna be much future progress in the world of preamps and analog electronics.  Digital will continue to get better but a good preamp will always be desirable.

Actually, I think it's kinda stupid that V2s have been going down in price.  There will come a day when the V3 owners want different a>d.

btw, I power the thing off a tiny Nimh pack of 5 x 4/3 AA cells that goes for 4 hours.  Check it out beside the SLA.  And it ways about 1/5 of the lead.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 04:03:55 PM »

oh man...I love it.  And I believe it's a piece of gear I will keep forever.  I really don't think there's gonna be much future progress in the world of preamps and analog electronics.  Digital will continue to get better but a good preamp will always be desirable.

Actually, I think it's kinda stupid that V2s have been going down in price.  There will come a day when the V3 owners want different a>d.

btw, I power the thing off a tiny Nimh pack of 5 x 4/3 AA cells that goes for 4 hours.  Check it out beside the SLA.  And it ways about 1/5 of the lead.

i recognize that battery   ;)

That's sweet setup.  Tiny power source.  Well done!
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Tim

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 04:08:43 PM »

fwiw the V3 has analog outs for those situations

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 04:20:12 PM »

yes..   but is the analog out _after_ the a>d stage? or   analog in>pre>a/d>analog out

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2004, 04:22:24 PM »
analog outs are before the a/d correct

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2004, 04:23:37 PM »
analog outs are before the a/d stage.  there is no d/a built into the V3, not even for monitoring.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2004, 04:25:01 PM »
hey craig..
frequinox at the conduit this week for you?

Offline Tim

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2004, 04:25:16 PM »
analog outs are before the a/d stage.  there is no d/a built into the V3, not even for monitoring.

what craig said

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2004, 04:42:19 PM »
yes..   but is the analog out _after_ the a>d stage? or   analog in>pre>a/d>analog out

Well, technically:  analog-in > pre > ADC > DAC > analog-out.  But we knew what you meant.  :P  Others have stated the V3 path correctly.  The UA-5, though, does pass through ADC/DAC to send an analog-out.  Not sure about other pre/ADC combos.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2004, 05:14:45 PM »
Not sure about other pre/ADC combos.

Minime has no analog outs

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2004, 09:40:18 PM »

This is true.  But I have $700 leftover to buy an a>d.   ;)

I'm not trying to suggest that there's anything wrong with a V3.  I'd like one myself.  But with V2s going for $550-650 I think it's a helluva deal.  And because I almost always record 24 bit on a laptop, the 'space saving' feature of the V3's built in a>d isn't worth that much too me cause I already got a big bag and my a>d is small. 

The other factor is when I record 4 track (board+mics) I want analog output so the a>d can clock them the same.  So we're all happy!

And you can't tell me that you actually prefer that V3 power connector to a nice solid, locking 4 pin connector  :P
KM 184 > V2 > R4

Offline Tim

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2004, 10:35:32 AM »
who knows what I'll be running when I get back in the game but V2->AD2k at 24bit sounds pretty good to me... but then there's the whole 1 box v 2box issue :P

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2004, 10:39:27 AM »
I loved my V2, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the V3 can do. The all-in-one thing is nice as well. That's what's cool about this hobby (and this board)..it's very incestuous (in a good, self sustaining way), so people can try different combos.
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2004, 12:35:30 AM »
who knows what I'll be running when I get back in the game but V2->AD2k at 24bit sounds pretty good to me... but then there's the whole 1 box v 2box issue :P

I have the same 1 box vs 2 box issue (V2 and AD2k) but I love my V2, I couldn't ever give it up.

btw, nice avatar, I really miss that guy
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2004, 06:30:37 AM »
I have the same 1 box vs 2 box issue (V2 and AD2k) but I love my V2, I couldn't ever give it up.

Since I don't stealth, I've never worried too much about 1 box, 2 boxes, 3, boxes, or more. It's always been about the sound. At this very moment, it's a 3 box solution for me (mixer, A/D, DAT), but since I run 4 mics I have always been pretty much stuck with at least a three box solution.

I've found the AD2K+ fits nicely in the upper pouch of the DA-P1 portabrace bag, so it really isn't any harder to carry it around. The biggest thing is the cabling. I tear everything down, so it takes me a few extra minutes when I setup to get everything cabled and setup.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

radioboy1977

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2004, 09:00:12 PM »

i thought you picked up a pair of schoeps?

Offline Brian

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2004, 10:29:52 PM »
I loved my V2, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the V3 can do. The all-in-one thing is nice as well. That's what's cool about this hobby (and this board)..it's very incestuous (in a good, self sustaining way), so people can try different combos.

i leaped from V2>modsbm1 to V3 and have really been loving settingthe levels on the V3.  it's so easy and you can push it real hot without worrying about an audible clip!

now if i could just get a 24bit setup i'd be set :)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2004, 07:37:05 PM »
i leaped from V2>modsbm1 to V3 and have really been loving settingthe levels on the V3.  it's so easy and you can push it real hot without worrying about an audible clip!

The two things I miss about the V2>SBM combo is that I used to do fade-in and fade-out in the field and I could always attenuate at the SBM if I needed to.  With the V3, you have to get it right within 5db either direction or you get a 5db step adjustment.  I still don't get it right every show.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2004, 07:45:59 PM »
honestly, and IMO of course, but the 5db step-up isnt really audible, at leats on my system, its just gets louder, but not like a noticeable jump ala the dmic or something, unless your WAY below the levels needed
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Tim

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2004, 07:51:47 PM »
With the V3, you have to get it right within 5db either direction or you get a 5db step adjustment.  I still don't get it right every show.

just use the variable trim

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2004, 08:20:41 PM »
With the V3, you have to get it right within 5db either direction or you get a 5db step adjustment.  I still don't get it right every show.

I do that.  I start with the trim in the center, which gives me 5db of adjustment in either direction.  But sometimes I'm either too low with the trim maxed (I'm still running 16-bit so I want to use all the bits) or I get surprised and with trim dropped to zero I'm still clipping.  Doesn't happen often, but just often enough to keep me uncomfortable until the first few songs are done.

With the continuously variable attenuation on the SBM, I could go to that if I needed to and not adjust the stepped gain on the grace box.

The only real solution is to figure out how to get into sound check.  I'm not counting on that.

Bean's right about the stepped gain, it's a very clean step.

Offline Tim

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2004, 08:26:32 PM »
gotcha!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2004, 08:32:38 PM »
thats what i do too, start w/ trim on the v3 aT 12 oclock, and adjust from there, and also, its not the v3 really, its prolly the soundman fine tuning the first few songs :) at least the acse w/ memost of the time
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2004, 10:11:48 PM »

I do that.  I start with the trim in the center, which gives me 5db of adjustment in either direction.  But sometimes I'm either too low with the trim maxed (I'm still running 16-bit so I want to use all the bits) or I get surprised and with trim dropped to zero I'm still clipping.  Doesn't happen often, but just often enough to keep me uncomfortable until the first few songs are done.

The only real solution is to figure out how to get into sound check.  I'm not counting on that.

I would suggest writing down the gain you used in your source info for each show, and add a couple notes as to how hot the music peaked. For example, I write down, V3: (+38, peaks at ~-7dB). After a few shows you will have it down where you need to set your gain given the type of concert and venue you are at.

FWIW I run DPA 4022, fairly low sensitivity mics (7mV/Pa)>V3, for small/medium club rock shows I always run ~+37dB (+35 knobs/+2 trim), resulting in peaks right in the -4 to 2dB range (I usually go a bit conservative on levels). For unamplified/classical/jazz type shows I usually run +52, for classical stuff this gives me peaks ~-7-9dB, just about the perfect amount of headroom for just in case situations, and I boost afterward with the Waves L2 Ultramaximizer (thanks Alex!). If on stage for loud shit and close to a drum kit (like Kimock for example) I would probably start at +32 (+25 knobs/+7 trim) and adjust from there. Of course your specific settings will depend on your mics and their sensitivity but this should give you a decent starting point. Hope this helps!!

Happy taping!
Ben

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2004, 01:57:01 AM »
+t ben

thats really helpful.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2004, 07:36:48 AM »
Good advice Ben. It's all about knowing your gear! Lately I've been able to set my levels pre-show to where I only have to adjust them ever-so-slightly during the opener.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2004, 07:39:13 AM »
Ben is Def the master of levels on his v3. ive watched him in action. set the levels 5-10 minutes before show, start recording and walk away... get a drink hit the john and no have to worry

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2004, 10:15:35 AM »
Writing it down is a good idea.  I did that for a long time and I am usually pretty close on first setting.  But lately I've been hitting some different bands/venues and that has sort of thrown me.  A good example is the Landmark Mule show.  I was still set at the gain I used for the 930 shows, and then once they started, playing I knew I was going to have to drop the step gain. I did and my trim ended up at +4.  So I was off by just 1db.  It wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't always trying to use the full range but I like to get as hot a signal as I can.  I can't wait to go 24bit, then I'll be willing to run more conservatively.

Ben, are you from the midwest?  I met a taper Ben who runs B&Ks when I was on TOO tour in a few years back.  I think it was around Cleveland.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2004, 10:24:58 AM »
Ben is from illinois and runs 4022's

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2004, 10:33:05 AM »

Ben, are you from the midwest?  I met a taper Ben who runs B&Ks when I was on TOO tour in a few years back.  I think it was around Cleveland.

Yep, that was probably me, I taped TOO 11-29-02 Pittsburgh -> 12-2-02 Rosemont with my 4022's (I remember that was a week after getting my V3!) .

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2004, 10:42:51 AM »
Yeah, I think I walked in with you at the Cleveland tapers entrance and then saw you at some of the following shows.  It was freaking cold waiting to get into the Cleveland show.  I was running the AK50 and BK4023 rigs.

Cool.  Small world.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2004, 12:36:15 PM »
It wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't always trying to use the full range but I like to get as hot a signal as I can.  I can't wait to go 24bit, then I'll be willing to run more conservatively.

If this is why you're running hot, I think you can drop back even now at 16 bits and run a little more conservatively.  Remember, you aren't really running at 16 bits, the V3 is running at 24 bits and then dithering down to 16 bits. Even if you aren't running hot enough to use all significant bits of the 24 bit signal (ie., peaks less than -6db), after dithering you will be using all 16 significant bits.  You'd have to run the V3 so low that you were only using 15 significant bits out of 24 in order for you not to be getting all 16 bits after dithering.  (Maybe you'd need 17 bits of info to accurately capture 16 bits via a dithering scheme, I'm not sure.  Regardless, you'll need more than a few bits less than the full 24 bits before you run into problems with not using the full 16 bits after dithering.)

So if you want to run hot so you can listen to it hot without normalizing, then keep running as hot a signal if you can.  But if you're worrying about getting the full range and maximizing your signal to noise ratio at 16 bits, then you can back off a bit and run more conservatively.  (Since you're dithering down from 24 bits, you'd have to be running at less than -24db peaks in order to not be getting the full 16 bits of info.) 

Of course, this is all in the theoretical.  From a practical standpoint, it might be that the ambient noise level of the venue -- given the noise in the PA system, the noise of the HVAC, the noise of the crowd, etc -- is such that you don't even need a full 16 bits of info to maximize your signal to noise ratio.  That is, given the high noise level of the system we're recording, we may well not even need 16 bits to capture it.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2004, 01:19:53 PM »
I kinda got lost in there but I think you do need to go close to full scale even if you only want 16 bits.  When going from 24>16 it's the least significant bits that get dropped.  So if you're down 12 dB, you're at 22 bits on a 24 bit scale, or 14 bits on a 16 bit scale.  Maybe dithering can push you up a bit, but I don't think you can say hey, we've got 22 bits so there should be at least 16 available.  With 16 bit on this box, you're using bits 9 thru 24 and throwing away the first 8 (ignoring dither for the moment).

Did that make any sense?

Now if you took the 24 bit signal that was down 12 dB, transferred it, normalized it and THEN dithered it down, I'd think you'd have the full 16 bits of resolution.  Because you have pushed the data up to the 16 bit 'window' that is used (bits 9 thru 24).  But then again...that's what turning the gain up does.  The V3 can't do that for you because what would happen if you got a signal that hit full scale - where would it go.

So conceptually, the loudest point is fixed (0 dB, full scale, all bits on, whatever you want to call it) and resolution falls under that.  If you don't use the most significant bits, you don't really have the option of going further down for resolution unless you have the original 24 bit signal and you shift the whole thing.
KM 184 > V2 > R4

Offline Todd R

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2004, 01:54:05 PM »
I kinda got lost in there but I think you do need to go close to full scale even if you only want 16 bits.  When going from 24>16 it's the least significant bits that get dropped.  So if you're down 12 dB, you're at 22 bits on a 24 bit scale, or 14 bits on a 16 bit scale.  Maybe dithering can push you up a bit, but I don't think you can say hey, we've got 22 bits so there should be at least 16 available.  With 16 bit on this box, you're using bits 9 thru 24 and throwing away the first 8 (ignoring dither for the moment).

Ok, I guess we're even, 'cause I'm totally lost in what you're saying. ;)   I think you've got a fundemental misunderstanding of what dithering does (or perhaps me, but we're definitely not in agreement).  It is my understanding that when you say "I don't think you can say hey, we've got 22 bits so there should be at least 16 available" that you're mistaken.  My understanding of dithering is that is exactly what happens.  So you're right that if you're 12db down, you've only got 22 bits on a 24bit scale or 14 bits on a 16 bit scale.  But you'll have 16 bits on 16 bit scale that has been arrived at through dithering from 24 bits (or 22 bits in this case).  So, yes, the exact purpose of the dither scheme is to maintain 16 bits of true significant bits when the original signal is 24 bits (or 22 bits if we don't record hot enough to get 24 significant bits).  Even if you only have 18bits of info, you should be able to dither down to get 16 bits of true significant data.

The purpose of dither is essentially to add noise.  I'm going from a somewhat foggy memory here, but it is something like this. If you have 24 bits of info, the least significant 24th bit will vary between being a digital 1 or a 0.  Same thing with the 16th bit of a 16 bit word.  But the 16th significant bit of this 24 bit word will be set at either a 1 or a 0.  Simply lopping off 8 bits from the 24 bit word to get a 16 bit word will then leave this 16th bit at a given state of either ending in a 1 or in a 0.  This makes for a harsh sound and poor representation of the analog signal, since the least significant bit should vary between a 1 and a 0 and not be stuck at either one or the other.  The purpose of dither is to add just the right amount of noise to the signal so that this 16th bit (least significant bit) varies between 1 and 0 (and not to add so much noise that you affect the 14th or 15th bits).   Anything random will work, including just having enough noise in your electronic signal path of your recorder so that the 16th bit is random.  But the idea is to create a dither scheme that uses the information present in the (say 8 ) least significant bits that you're tossing aside to correctly add noise to the 16th bit of the now dithered word so that it will vary between 0 and 1.

It all depends on the exact specifics of the dither algorithm that is used, but done well, a good dither algorithm should be able to make good 16 bit signal (with 16 bits of significant info) from an 18 bit word (the Apogee AD500e did this), or a 22 bit word, or a 24 bit word.  So yes, it is my understanding that the dithering scheme does exactly what you think it doesn't do -- that is is builds a 16 bit word out of the significant data from a 24-bit word, even if that 24-bit word only has 22 bits of significant data.  It would depend on the specifics of the ANSR dither scheme, but it would be a pretty poor dither scheme if it didn't function to get 16 bits of signicant data out of 22 significant bits.

Edit:  stupid emoticons: the number 8 followed by a ) should not always = 8)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 01:57:23 PM by Todd R »
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2004, 02:27:01 PM »
I don't believe the V3 realtime dithering also performs normalization.  Because the instantaneous value has no relation to past or future maximum values, you need the entire sample set to determine a normalization factor.  Therefore, the realtime dithered 16-value should be proportional to the original 24-bit value.

I don't think that dither operations just toss aside the least significant bits and then add noise based on the discarded value.  Properly converting between bit depths requires the entire range to be scaled such that a 6-bit value recorded at 24-bit resolution may become a 4-bit value at 16-bit resolution.  Noise is then added to counteract the additional quantization noise incurred during scaling.  As you mentioned, the value of the original signal or a brief window may be used to determine the appropriate value of the noise to be added.   If you just lop off the least 8 bits, quiet passages will flatline and no amount of introduced random noise will allow the original information to be resolved. 

Along these lines, I'm not really sure when we talk about "using all the bits" if that is an accurate statement.  I think "using the full range is more correct".  My understanding of LPCM is that the 16-bit quantized sample is assigned a value in the range from -32767 to +32767.  A sample set with a peak value of 16385 requires 16-bits to represent, but peak is just barely over half the supported maximum value.  The result is that there is a 50% degraded resolution of the softer passages.  So the gain should be adjusted to use more of the range so that low level information is represented in more detail.  Is this not correct?

No?  Maybe?

For me, it's not really about getting the best SNR.  I would expect the V3 analog section to have lower self noise than my mic (KM100).  I'm mostly just trying to maximize the resolution at playback.  I guess that could be considered an attempt to reduce overall quantization noise.  But even when my 24bit box arrives, I'll still be trying to use as much of the range as possible.

Offline Todd R

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2004, 02:48:22 PM »
I definitely agree that the V3 is not doing any normalization, since as you say that would be impossible.  I thought from your earlier posts you were most worried about getting the best SNR out of your tapes and given the effect of dithering a 24 bit signal down to 16 bits, going for the hottest signal on the V3 isn't that big of an issue.  As to the rest of what you're saying,  :-\ I'm going to have to give that some more thought.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2004, 03:10:08 PM »
I definitely agree that the V3 is not doing any normalization, since as you say that would be impossible.  I thought from your earlier posts you were most worried about getting the best SNR out of your tapes and given the effect of dithering a 24 bit signal down to 16 bits, going for the hottest signal on the V3 isn't that big of an issue.  As to the rest of what you're saying,  :-\ I'm going to have to give that some more thought.

Cool.

I know that one could argue that the signal level produced by the lower 8-bits are so far below the values produced by a 18-bit to 20-bit signal that one can't really hear it.  I could buy that argument. 

I believe that the main problem with bit depth conversions using simple truncation is that the wave form will become discontinuous at nearly every 0 crossing and I think that is what ruins the sound of a recording when ANSR is not enabled on the V3 while feeding a DAT deck.  Maybe I'll play with the V3 if I get some time.  I never ran it without ANSR engaged.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.181 seconds with 79 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com