Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)  (Read 115951 times)

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)
« Reply #255 on: November 22, 2010, 01:24:06 PM »
Love my R-44 but hate the level meters. Always running lower than I want. Anyone have any tricks/tips on how to more accurately read them?

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #256 on: November 22, 2010, 09:13:06 PM »
Love my R-44 but hate the level meters. Always running lower than I want. Anyone have any tricks/tips on how to more accurately read them?

Left channel names reverse colors when clipping on analog, the tiny little box at the end of each channel meter is for digital clipping. One thing I do is keep hitting the headphone knob until no channels are output. That removes those indicators from the screen so that it is easier to spot when it is clipping on the analog side. It just removes some screen clutter. When I'm just recording for my own uses I run 24 bit and just bring it up in post but there is a limit to that. You do want to be within a reasonable range. You don't want it too low. Since I've been working with John R's archive team and run the outputs of the R-44 into two CD burners, I've been using the digital gain knobs to get levels up but otherwise "set 'em and forget 'em" thing (at unity).

Every once in a while I hunt for a decent external meter for the input side, one where I can see a clipping light from across the room. The reason is that I'm now mixing a radio broadcast at our old stomping grounds, the Bradfordville Blues Club and the board I use is all the way up by the band, next to the main soundboard. The meter on the board itself is some help but not very accurate. Everything I've found is aimed at studios and is way too expensive for me and certainly not something you would want to use in the field. I could buy a new board with a meter attachment for about the same money ... and might next year!

There are some meters made for video cameras that might work in the field. They are usually only two channel though. They also are usually XLR in and 3.5mm out. I wonder if there are any that are XLR in and mini-XLR out? They are usually powered by a basic 9v battery so no worries about that.

Trying to get a perfect level is really an old analog tape thing where you wanted to get the tape as saturated as possible before serious clipping. I heard the expression "lick it but don't stick it" a couple of weeks ago. It was appropriate for what I was doing at the time (archiving to the burners) but not for my normal scenario where I can bring up levels in post.

BTW, if anyone has spotted a reasonable set of bright LED meters that are RCA in & out, I'm looking for them. I want to use them on the output of my R-44. That's for the archiving projects where often I'm out in the bright sun and I can't see the damn levels on the CD burners. I also need a "HEY, STUPID!!!" meter at times. Have they invented one of those yet?

BTW, ya should have been at Bear Creek Alex! Good stuff indeed!

--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Erick del Valle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • what about this pair of stealthy mics?
« Reply #257 on: November 22, 2010, 09:49:24 PM »
There are some meters made for video cameras that might work in the field. They are usually only two channel though. They also are usually XLR in and 3.5mm out. I wonder if there are any that are XLR in and mini-XLR out? They are usually powered by a basic 9v battery so no worries about that.

Trying to get a perfect level is really an old analog tape thing where you wanted to get the tape as saturated as possible before serious clipping. I heard the expression "lick it but don't stick it" a couple of weeks ago. It was appropriate for what I was doing at the time (archiving to the burners) but not for my normal scenario where I can bring up levels in post.

BTW, if anyone has spotted a reasonable set of bright LED meters that are RCA in & out, I'm looking for them. I want to use them on the output of my R-44. That's for the archiving projects where often I'm out in the bright sun and I can't see the damn levels on the CD burners. I also need a "HEY, STUPID!!!" meter at times. Have they invented one of those yet?

BTW, ya should have been at Bear Creek Alex! Good stuff indeed!

I had not thought about it, but it seems an excellent idea, I have the same problems with the R44 meters, are too small to provide a good read and avoid the area closer to saturation (the limit is too violent in the R44) leaving somewhat lower levels. Is anyone interested in making a good portable 4 channels LEDmeter with  4 RCA input and works with a 9V battery would be interested in buying one. Thanks so much!

Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile
Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #258 on: November 24, 2010, 12:29:21 PM »
Rack mountable (19") LED stereo "VU" meters with RCA in and out with adjustable levels and powerstrip on back for $50....  Maybe useful for someone, maybe not.

http://www.dak.com/reviews/3275story.cfm

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #259 on: November 24, 2010, 01:46:14 PM »
If it really meant anything I would like it but alas its just purty lights. But on a related note, just what sort of signal is coming out of the outputs of the R-44? Line level?
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #260 on: November 24, 2010, 01:48:07 PM »
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #261 on: November 24, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
Not exactly what most of us are looking for but I might try using some of these virtual meters with my Netbook:
http://www.darkwood.demon.co.uk/PC/meter.html
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #262 on: November 24, 2010, 02:55:03 PM »
Cursious besides the flash media vs. hard drive, What are the differences between the R4 and R-44?  I know there is a team thread, but I though someone could give me the quick low down.  Thanks
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #263 on: November 24, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »
Not positive but doesn't the R-4 give a clock signal out? Handy if you record video.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Erick del Valle

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #264 on: November 24, 2010, 11:08:47 PM »
Rack mountable (19") LED stereo "VU" meters with RCA in and out with adjustable levels and powerstrip on back for $50....  Maybe useful for someone, maybe not.

http://www.dak.com/reviews/3275story.cfm

Yeah, something like that, but 4 channels no more than 150 mms long and that works with 9V! (maybe a copy of the led meters on a 744T)

If it really meant anything I would like it but alas its just purty lights. But on a related note, just what sort of signal is coming out of the outputs of the R-44? Line level?

tape level (-10db)

Not exactly what most of us are looking for but I might try using some of these virtual meters with my Netbook:
http://www.darkwood.demon.co.uk/PC/meter.html

That's a good idea too, but I prefer to left the netbook in house.

Greetings
Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile
Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile

Offline Erick del Valle

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #265 on: November 25, 2010, 10:42:43 AM »
Interesting...

http://sound.westhost.com/project60.htm

Maybe one of the "capos" in electronics that circulate in this forum would dare to do something like this in 4 channels.

Saludos E.

Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile
Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #266 on: November 25, 2010, 01:19:10 PM »
I do have one of these that is doing nothing at the moment. I wondered about converting it. Probably more hassle that its worth for me.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Erick del Valle

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #267 on: November 25, 2010, 03:00:05 PM »
Wow, maybe a little expensive, each ledmeter for $95. but watch it works, amazing!

http://www.jlmaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143
Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #268 on: November 25, 2010, 07:01:02 PM »
slightly further down the kit food chain, the 5fish option...

http://fivefishstudios.com/component/content/article/56

happy thanksgiving for those in the us...

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #269 on: November 25, 2010, 10:40:49 PM »
Wow, maybe a little expensive, each ledmeter for $95. but watch it works, amazing!

http://www.jlmaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143

I like the way that display looks and the variety of display settings but it does seem a bit steep, esp. when you include the rack mount, etc. The peak hold is nice and having more than a few segments like those cheap kits on eBay is nice.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com