Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony HDR-HC5 settings...  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Sony HDR-HC5 settings...
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:02:40 PM »
It was a big risk but I ended up stepping up to HD for filming.

I have messed about a little with the settings and shot some footage at home to get an idea of things but for some reason the pic looks quite grainy/noisy on the TV. In light its crystal clear but in dim rooms its quite bad.

What kind of settings are good to use? I've noticed a setting 'Auto slow shutter' should it be on or off? I read previously that using the scene mode 'spotlight' is good for concerts but if I select that mode it will NOT allow me to change White Balance (basically I can only change 1 of them).

I will be using manual focus of course. Is it normally good to play around with the saturation levels?

I've been reading this page for some info: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-HDR-HC5-Camcorder-Review-33709/Auto--Manual-Controls.htm#

Whats the difference between Exposure control and AE?

Thanks,
Simon.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline Josh P

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony HDR-HC5 settings...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 12:05:56 AM »
I don't know what auto slow shutter means but by the sounds of it I'd leave it off.

I think the reason you can't change the white balance when you're on spotlight mode is because spotlight is a white balance pre-setting.

Manual focus is good.  If you have trouble dialing it in, switch to auto to get you close, then switch to manual and slightly adjust to get it perfect.

Exposure control I would think means manual exposure, and AE is auto exposure.  I would say auto is pretty safe.  If you find it not to your liking, switch over to manual and make your slight adjustments.

Offline firmdragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 01:26:09 AM »
use exposure control.  AE will compensate for low lighting, giving you the grain.  basically all you want to do is keep upping the exposure until you don't have grain.  AE vs Exposure control.  AE will give you a picture you a brighter picture, but more grain.  Exposure control, you can control how much grain you want (none), but if the picture will be darker, but of course no grain.  it's one of those things where you have to find a balance.

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 10:36:24 AM »
Thanks for the replies, appreciated.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com