Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Flash recommendations for Canon Digital Rebel?  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Flash recommendations for Canon Digital Rebel?
« on: October 17, 2008, 03:08:58 PM »
I'm interested in getting feedback for a basic flash to use with my Digital Rebel.  Looking for the cheapest option that would be useful beyond the built-in flash, hopefully with a bounce head.  I hardly ever take pics anymore, and when I do it is generally landscapes or concert pics without a flash.  But I'd like to have a flash for when I want to take nicer quality family photos and pics or my one-year-old.  Most of the family pics we take with a pocket Canon SD1000, but it'd be useful to have something for my Digital rebel.

Any suggestions on a specific flash and where to get it?
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
Re: Flash recommendations for Canon Digital Rebel?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 04:03:52 PM »
I'm interested in getting feedback for a basic flash to use with my Digital Rebel.  Looking for the cheapest option that would be useful beyond the built-in flash, hopefully with a bounce head.  I hardly ever take pics anymore, and when I do it is generally landscapes or concert pics without a flash.  But I'd like to have a flash for when I want to take nicer quality family photos and pics or my one-year-old.  Most of the family pics we take with a pocket Canon SD1000, but it'd be useful to have something for my Digital rebel.

Any suggestions on a specific flash and where to get it?

Vivitar 285hv recieved great reviews on strobists.com

Stofen Bounce

total about 100$ shipped from amazon
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 08:16:33 PM »
FWIW I love the TTL functionality of my strobes (I shoot Nikon but the idea is the same), so you might want to look at the Canon units if only to have the fully functional TTL metering.  Makes shooting on the go and particularly bounce flash much easier.  I rely on it all the time when shooting weddings.

I think the basic Canon flash is the 430EX and it run around $240 from the reputable (B&H, Buy.com, Adorama) online retailers.  You can probably find one used for around $200 if you look on the photo message boards.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 08:19:46 PM by phanophish »

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 03:08:04 PM »

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 07:57:16 PM »
Whatever flash you end up getting, TTL metering would be well worth looking into (through the lens).

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 10:55:08 PM »
FWIW I love the TTL functionality of my strobes (I shoot Nikon but the idea is the same), so you might want to look at the Canon units if only to have the fully functional TTL metering.  Makes shooting on the go and particularly bounce flash much easier.  I rely on it all the time when shooting weddings.

I think the basic Canon flash is the 430EX and it run around $240 from the reputable (B&H, Buy.com, Adorama) online retailers.  You can probably find one used for around $200 if you look on the photo message boards.

I picked up a used 420ex for about $100 and I LOVE it.  You have to adjust fill flash ratios via the camera's FEC settings, but if you're game for that then it's a winner - I can't imagine doing any better for the price.

DPA4060
R09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com