Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's the Best Group Like TS.com for Photographers?  (Read 4507 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
What's the Best Group Like TS.com for Photographers?
« on: November 19, 2008, 03:25:40 PM »
SSIA...looking for a ts.com-like site that has a little more activity than this forum where I can read and learn more.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What's the Best Group Like TS.com for Photographers?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:08:25 PM »
SSIA...looking for a ts.com-like site that has a little more activity than this forum where I can read and learn more.

Hey

I used to read up on http://www.dpreview.com a lot. Not so much anymore. Its more segregated into equipment but you don't have to tell people what you do and don't have.  ;D
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline gearscout

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »
Tonedeaf,

I'm not sure the IS one forum.  There are lots of 'em...but catering to specific groups of people.

http://nikonians.org/forums is a pretty good site that discusses all things Nikon.  (Being a Canon user, it's probably best described as a site where the endless pursuit of the lastest gear transcends all notion of the "photograph" being at the center of attention!)  But it does have discussions on Panoramas, Underwater photography, Technique, Post-Processing and much, much more.

http://photo.net  has Canon forums

Here are some sites that, in turn, will give you lists of other photo sites.

http://www.afterimagegallery.com/sites.htm

http://www.digitaljournalist.org/

http://dvnetwork.net/   (at left of home page there are dozens of great links)

http://www.photoeye.com/

If you are trying to understand post-processing, and specifically, working with Adobe's Photoshop Lightroom, I have a whole list of sites that are very good at explaining details, complete with video clips, presets you can download free etc.

Hope that helps.

Offline Tenn Man

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 04:41:20 PM »

www.fredmiranda.com

www.photography-on-the.net  if you use canon equipment

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 05:13:29 PM »
anyone know of a forum for us old school film developers?  I hung around a couple of the mentioned sites but was chased away by all the Dig SLR fluffers...

Film is forever...
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 05:52:11 PM »
anyone know of a forum for us old school film developers?  I hung around a couple of the mentioned sites but was chased away by all the Dig SLR fluffers...

Film is forever...

www.i'mstuckinthepast.com

;)

I'm sorry Krispy, I just couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 05:55:09 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 06:19:59 PM »
ya go ahead and take your shots...  I just love the smell of darkroom in the morning.  That and after investing all the $$$ we can't justify NOT developing pictures.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 10:51:11 PM »

www.fredmiranda.com

and
http://www.dgrin.com/

those two sites are very much like ts.com.  LOTS of information, willing members ready to help, and a good sense of community.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 01:13:00 AM »
ya go ahead and take your shots...  I just love the smell of darkroom in the morning.  That and after investing all the $$$ we can't justify NOT developing pictures.

I was just being friendly Krispy.  Sounds like you've had lots of history in regards to the film vs. digital debate, so didn't mean to tweak a hot button if that's what I did.  I say that I'm glad that they both exist.

I can relate to what you're saying about the darkroom.  I spent many many hours in my darkroom and there was a real joy I had in working with my own images that of course is no longer a part of the scene for the digital photographer.  They don't know what they're missing.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 06:55:23 AM »
They don't know what they're missing.

The smell of fixer?
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »

I was just being friendly Krispy.  Sounds like you've had lots of history in regards to the film vs. digital debate, so didn't mean to tweak a hot button if that's what I did.  I say that I'm glad that they both exist.

I can relate to what you're saying about the darkroom.  I spent many many hours in my darkroom and there was a real joy I had in working with my own images that of course is no longer a part of the scene for the digital photographer.  They don't know what they're missing.

I know it was friendly...  The debate rages and I don't actually argue that film is better, just that I enjoy it!
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 08:22:37 PM »

Film is forever...

www.i'mstuckinthepast.com

;)

I'm sorry Krispy, I just couldn't resist.

Is anyone on this board shooting HDR digital?
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 09:16:22 PM »

As mentioned, this is a great site for Canon users.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 08:33:23 AM »
A quick thank you to everyone that posted resonses to my question.  Really have been spending some good time reading other pages.  As I figured there would be, there's lots to choose from!

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 02:44:13 PM »

For me this site covers just about everything and I don't have to really go outside of it too often

http://www.naturescapes.net

It has a suberb Digital Forum where you can ask any question and it is, like here, answered sometimes in simple laymans terms
& sometimes you need a degree to decipher it!

Look for the site Guru's EJ Peiker, Royce Howland, EJ Martin & others as they are the "ones".

Datfly
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com