Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Lens filters  (Read 5306 times)

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Lens filters
« on: August 11, 2004, 05:21:25 PM »
I just bought about a half dozen filters for my 55mm lens and am using the descriptions of each filter to familurize myself with them. Does anyone here use multiple lens filters for different photo situations?

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lens filters
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 02:41:47 PM »
i have before, but i tend not to.  every time you add a filter you need to open up your apreture one more full stop.  i cant think of a situation offhand where ive truly needed to have 2 filters, mostly just experimentation.  but hell, i only use 2 filters- polarizer and a uv filter.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 04:16:55 PM »
rob, are you talking about combining filters to use in the same shot or just using different filters at different times?  I have UV, polarizing, neutral density filters.  I am about to get my first IR filter, which im looking forward to messing with. 

as far as combining filters, not all screw-in filter systems are combinable.  im pretty sure i can not screw my polarizing filter onto my UV filter, there is no thread on it.  however, some are combinable.  you may combine an ND or IR filter with a star effect filter, for example.

what filters do you have?

Offline Rob D.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 03:20:39 PM »
rob, are you talking about combining filters to use in the same shot or just using different filters at different times?  I have UV, polarizing, neutral density filters.  I am about to get my first IR filter, which im looking forward to messing with. 

as far as combining filters, not all screw-in filter systems are combinable.  im pretty sure i can not screw my polarizing filter onto my UV filter, there is no thread on it.  however, some are combinable.  you may combine an ND or IR filter with a star effect filter, for example.

what filters do you have?

Damon,
I'm just talking about single filter (per shot) and not combining them. I'm new to this stuff so I'm just asking basic questions like what is the best filter to use for certain situations. I bought a Fuji S7000 last month and took it to my local camera shop to buy some filters only to discover I needed to spend an extra 40 bones for the cheesy little adaptor ring in order to even use a filter (welcome to the wonderful world of photography, huh!). So I bought the adaptor ring online along with some other filters I thought I might need/use. They are:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3976847
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3970494
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3970496
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3976846

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 08:50:22 AM »
ok sorry, i misread your post. like i said, i only keep two filters around (mainly cause im not a filter kind of guy).  I've got a UV filter that always is on my cam, ive also got a circular polarizer which goes on during days when i want really intense color and there is no water on the ground.

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 07:02:11 PM »
Rob, I've done a fair bit of 35mm camera work, and filters are just one more tool to get the job done.  If you have something specific in mind, I can probably give you some pointers. pm me if you like.

In general, a skylight, UV, or clear glass filter is good to keep on the lens at all times to protect it.  A circular polarizer is a good choice for outdoor shots in bright light, though it's not necessary.  All depends on the kind of photography you have in mind.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

dannyboy

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 08:30:03 PM »
the uv filter may not always be necessary depending on what sort of lens you use.  alot of the newer nikon lens are coated in such a way that uv filters are redundant.  not sure about canon or other lenses.  i've used polarizer filters for alot of my outdoor photos.  some of my favorite are 24mm polarized with some clouds in the sky--kinda cool.  also, got some great effects with a polarizer near water--takes the reflection out of the pic--very cool pics.  i've been thinking of buying a warming filter for those not so sunny days in the trees.  be curious to see what those shots will be like. 

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 09:13:41 PM »
Redundant, yes. But you won't be saying that the first time something hard hits the front element of your lens.
Out of the game … for now?

jpschust

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 07:50:50 AM »
the uv filter may not always be necessary depending on what sort of lens you use.  alot of the newer nikon lens are coated in such a way that uv filters are redundant.  not sure about canon or other lenses.  i've used polarizer filters for alot of my outdoor photos.  some of my favorite are 24mm polarized with some clouds in the sky--kinda cool.  also, got some great effects with a polarizer near water--takes the reflection out of the pic--very cool pics.  i've been thinking of buying a warming filter for those not so sunny days in the trees.  be curious to see what those shots will be like. 

UV filters are rarely used to block UV rays, more to just protect the front of your lens.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 10:14:28 AM »
Rob-
I use 2 of the 4 filters you listed: the UV/skylight filter and the Neutral Density.  The UV/skylight filter can be left on most of the time to protect the lens element and give a small bit of color correction on bright/hazy days.  its correction is very subtle.  the ND filter cuts the amount of light entering the lens without changing the color cast.  yours is a .6 or 2-stop filter, which cuts the amount of light entering by 75% or 2 full aperture stops.  this is very useful in very bright settings where the camera is unable to stop down far enough to properly expose the scene and avoid washed out highlights.  it is a very useful landscape lens.  i also find that it improves sky contrast, preserving highlights in clouds against a brightly lit sky.  if you are shooting in manual mode (which i recommend for learning purposes), you may be able to stop the lens down enough (set the aperture at a small enough value) that the ND filter is not always necessary.  however, on most consumer lenses, setting the aperture at its smallest may lead to pictures that are not as sharp as you would like (the lenses do not work as well at the ends of its abilities), so i prefer to set the aperture toward the middle and use the ND filter.  additionally, you can achieve a great effect on seascapes by using the ND filter so that you can use a slower shutter speed.  by doing this, you can generate that white foamy effect of the water crashing on shore.  the slower shutter speed prevents the camera from "freezing" the motion of the waves and is a very nice effect.

for the two color-correcting filters you posted (red: removing the green cast caused by fluorescent lights and the yellow filter increasing sky contrast), i have not used these specifically.  they are not as necessary on a digital camera if you are doing substantial post-processing.  I shoot entirely in digital and entirely in RAW format.  when doing the RAW conversion to TIFF or JPG, there are substantial controls over the white balance and color casting of your shot.  this is also available to a certain extent in photoshop (though processing in RAW allows more control).  however, some digital photographers choose to use the filters and do less post-processing.  it just comes down to a choice, really.  i would suggest just shooting a bunch of scenes with each filter and without, making notes as to which exposure is which and you'll quickly get a feel for what each does.

i think you may consider getting a circular polarizing filter, as mentioned above.  it will cut down on glare and reflections and also improve contrast, resulting in deeper blues in the sky.  most polarizers can be adjusted by rotating the filter and you can see the changing effect in the viewfinder.  for example, if you have a seascape and the sun is reflecting off the water, sometimes you may like the sparkling reflections of light from the sun and other times you may not, you can judge the amount of correction in the viewfinder.

feel free to PM me with specific questions, i can also direct you to some good literature.  good luck and keep shooting!

dannyboy

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 11:00:31 AM »

UV filters are rarely used to block UV rays, more to just protect the front of your lens.

true--the main reason i have them on both lens.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 11:18:58 AM »
to be fair though, UV filters do block UV rays.  and there are different variations on UV.  the most common is the clear one which offers very little correction (i believe referred to as UV(O)).  the skylight filter does more, it's got a bit of a reddish cast (i believe referred to as UV(B)).  they are most widely used to protect the lens element because the limited amount of correction allows them to be used almost all the time.  however, be careful.  if the filter is not multi-coated glass, then it can create a double image if you are shooting a picture with a light or bright element such as the moon.  if it's multi-coated (more expensive), it will be okay.

Rob- i meant to include in my above post that your camera most likely has some white balance correction built into it.  you may be able to customize it depending on the situation.  the auto setting works fine in many settings but often can be fooled.  you may have settings for sunlight, cloudy skies, incandescant light, fluorescent light, etc.  or you may be able to set a temperature value, which is measured in Kelvin.  this may require using a grey card and can be difficult.  the way to get the most control is to shoot RAW and adjust white balance in processing.  but this can be time consuming.  i have over 700 pictures shot in RAW from my recent trip that have to be processed, which could take weeks.

Offline Rob D.

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 11:28:42 AM »
+Ts to all who responded and especially Damon - thanks! (I'm still digesting all that great info!)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 09:40:24 PM »
I want to buy a PL-CIR and a UV filter.  I'm finding B+W and some Hoya for around $140 and higher, some others in the $80-60 range and some in the $30-$15 range.

I know you pay to get better glass but where is "good enough" for regular shots?  Is there a specific brand that most people like that will have good optical properties and not be extremely expensive?

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Petrus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 04:09:42 AM »
If you are talking about digital cameras, UV filtering is totally unnecessary as digital sensors are not sensetive to ultraviolet rays at all. UV filter does not do any harm, though, and does act as a protection filter. There is no point stacking a pile of other filters on top of one though, because then you do not need the protection anymore and extra layers of glass add reflections and lower contrast. So, take off the UV/protector when using polarizer etc.

Different kind of color corretion filters are obsolete now, because most color correcting can be done electronically with white balance and in photoshop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com