Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Basic Tweaks for the toshiba sd4960...interesting...  (Read 9871 times)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Basic Tweaks for the toshiba sd4960...interesting...
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2005, 12:17:17 PM »
Similar tweaks for an older player:
I own the CD-player that this site is writing about. It is in Chinese but with babelfish etc I could pretty much follow what the guy did.
Maybe I can try mods like this when I have some more time...

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2005, 01:23:48 PM »
Here's the general idea for modifying any cheaper commercial product.  Open the product up and take notes of where the power supply as well as the analog path are and what caps and locations are involved.  Write down the voltage as well as the capacitance of each cap you wish to replace.  Then, increase capacitance values by 50-200 percent depending on placement and what will fit.  The main caps you are going to want to change are in the power supply, as this will make the biggest difference.  If you are bypassing the analog op-amps, then do not worry about opamps.  If not, then that's a whole other ballgame and will require a bit more soldering skill.

Apply dampening to the chassis as well as the physical transport top reduce vibration.  That my friend's is the basic mod.  Lots more can be done, changing out diodes to hexfreds, clocks, etc, but that is mucgh more machine specific.  That said, if the unit doesn't sound good to begin with, don't waste your time and money.

D----
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2005, 09:55:27 AM »
Tim, how did the law school text book workout?  My cfp books work wonders!
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

BobW

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2005, 05:57:45 PM »
Can a multi-track DVD-A be played without gaps in playback on this ?
Can it be done on any DVD-A playback machine ?

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2005, 01:24:23 PM »
Can a multi-track DVD-A be played without gaps in playback on this ?
Can it be done on any DVD-A playback machine ?

my pioneer 563a plays back multitrack dvda's w/ no gaps ever.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2005, 08:29:25 AM »
when I ran the 3960 (now tims), I used a 5lb bag of corn (the kind you mcirowave and use as a theraputic heat pad) on top of it and vibrapod cones underneath.  I thought it made an improvement.

the downside to these cheap decks is that they weigh in at around 2-5lbs, have nothing to them, cheap shitty transports as well.  Anything you can do to help w/that regard is going to give you some added mileage w/these units.

Having gone down both roads of this arguement...I now find that buying older class A gear is the way to go for me.  better resale is a BIG FEATURE..when you are as slutty as I am w/your stereo.
I like a big deck that weights 30lbs.  Never underestimate the impact of a good transport.

Every time I listen to Carls belt driven parasound...I am reminded why I no longer have a cheap deck.

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2005, 11:38:41 PM »
so, any thoughts on the stock sd5980 as an audio player?
we all live downstream.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2005, 07:28:35 AM »
never heard one..but it probably is good.
the higher you go up any products food chain, the improvements usualy follow.
my currend deck is the SD9200.  I dont think the numbers go any higher than that (or did in at the time of production) in the Toshiba line.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com