Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Opinions for playback system  (Read 9019 times)

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Opinions for playback system
« on: July 20, 2005, 02:44:19 PM »
I have been looking to get a new playback system and wanted to get some ideas for some of you.  Budget 3k.  I'm thinking about going with tubes.  I know ss is going to be cheaper, but i think i'm going to stick with the tubes.  I will be doing this from scratch.  So i will need amp, speakers and everything else.  I have been looking at audiogon but i don't know what is good or a good deal on there. 

Speakers i was thinking the vr4jr, or the Db-99 MkII would these be good with the tubes or would something match better?

I have a sv-3800 dat that i will use and that is about it

All suggestions welcome
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline EScott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Opinions for playback system
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 02:53:37 PM »
I have been looking to get a new playback system and wanted to get some ideas for some of you.  Budget 3k.  I'm thinking about going with tubes.  I know ss is going to be cheaper, but i think i'm going to stick with the tubes.  I will be doing this from scratch.  So i will need amp, speakers and everything else.  I have been looking at audiogon but i don't know what is good or a good deal on there. 

Speakers i was thinking the vr4jr, or the Db-99 MkII would these be good with the tubes or would something match better?

I have a sv-3800 dat that i will use and that is about it

All suggestions welcome

I have the VRjr's and I am powering them with a Cary SLI-80. 

I have only had the VSA's for about a month and do not have nearly enough time on them yet (they recommend 300 hours), but the break in period so far has been awesome.  They don't sound anything like the speakers that originally arrived on my doorstep.  The VSA's are incredible, they easily best any of the other speakers I auditioned in the same price range.  You may want to consider the VR2's, I think they can be had in the $1500 range.  Boswell just got a pair of these last week and the imaging and soundstage on them is fantastic.

"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 03:02:33 PM »
CJ Premier 11A + VR4jrs = super sweet and very seductive

There have been a few VR4JR ads on agon in the 2300-2500 range but those were for local pick-up only.  If you can make the drive, you save about $500 off the going price for a used pair.   For $700, there are a few very good amps that would be in that range.  I only have experience with the CJ gear.  If you like liquid warm mids, you can pick up an MV50 for about $600.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 12:28:49 AM »
Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming.  Would like to hear more thoughts.  So far everything sounds good and i will keep my eye open for some things.  I did some reading on the vr2's and from what i read seem really good for the type of playback i'm looking for.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 12:50:43 AM by hzgone »
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 07:23:41 AM »
come and talk to me if you want VSA speakers.
I can offer my TS.com discount.  its significant....about what youd pay used...only new.
I can also get B stock, which will be MUCH less money for a brand new VR2 w/a scratch in the finish or something.
;)

$3k
Manley Stingray integrated CLASS A 40wpc tubes
VR2s
fucking sweet in a small / mid sized room.  will knock you out!

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 07:34:44 AM »
come and talk to me if you want VSA speakers.
I can offer my TS.com discount.  its significant....about what youd pay used...only new.
I can also get B stock, which will be MUCH less money for a brand new VR2 w/a scratch in the finish or something.
;)

$3k
Manley Stingray integrated CLASS A 40wpc tubes
VR2s
fucking sweet in a small / mid sized room.  will knock you out!

I'll second that staement - Nick can offer a substantial discount on the VSA line!

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 09:33:59 AM »
I'm powering the VR2's with a NAD T763 integrated multi channel amp.  My room is fairly large and the 100watts/channel is enough to fill it nicely.  I've only had the VR2's for two weeks so I'm still playing with my options.  I've got an Onyx Rocket UFW-10 sub that I can't seem to let go of, despite trying.  I've finally dialed in the 2900 and figured out how to go 2 channel and 2.1, and 2.1 just adds so much.  The VR2's are rated down to 25hz, just like the UFW-10, but the sub has just a touch more presence, without being sloppy, so I end up listening 2.1 most of the time.  The thing that has impressed me the most is the rear firing tweeter.  There are times when I swear that there is a crowd behind me, going crazy.  Its weird, but makes for a really cool experience.

Basically, I'm stuck with multi-channel b/c I really enjoy watching movies in 5.1.  However, my next home purchase will have to take into consideration a dedicated two channel room, but for now, I'm happy with what I've got!

Escott has the deal, though.  The Cary has just enough juice to push the 4jr's.  The results are jaw dropping.  Superb imaging and soundstage...

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 01:02:57 AM »
Out of curiousity what's the retail on the VR2 or VR4JR series speakers?  These look like extremely interesting and beefy speakers for people who love live music.  To be crude are these "cream yer jeans" good kinda speakers?
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 06:06:15 AM »
They are without a doubt cream your jeans kind of speakers. I also run VR4jr's with tubes. I am currently running a BAT VK60 for power. I am on the fence about selling it though, I have a new listening room & want/need more power. That being said, if I could afford to buy another VK60, I would never leave tube land. The VSA speakers are magic, I played with alot of equipment & will stick with VSA. Good luck in your search, it's a fun journey.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 07:35:01 AM »
retail ..and these are universal prices.
vr2 $2500
4jr  $4000

I can do A LOT better though.
and B-stock new items saves an additional large wad of $$ as well.

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 07:38:36 AM »
They are without a doubt cream your jeans kind of speakers. I also run VR4jr's with tubes. I am currently running a BAT VK60 for power. I am on the fence about selling it though, I have a new listening room & want/need more power. That being said, if I could afford to buy another VK60, I would never leave tube land. The VSA speakers are magic, I played with alot of equipment & will stick with VSA. Good luck in your search, it's a fun journey.

I am considering selling my Cary integrated and moving to a horizontal bi amping setup with tubes on top and solid state on the bottom.   I do not feel like 40 wpc is doing these speakers justice.   Does anyone have any experierence with this type of set-up?

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 02:25:16 AM »
retail ..and these are universal prices.
vr2 $2500
4jr  $4000

I can do A LOT better though.
and B-stock new items saves an additional large wad of $$ as well.

Those prices are per SPEAKER not pair correct?  I have to pay for my hdtv first...but I'll be interested in these in say 2-3 months.  Will you still be able to pull some strings at that time?  Thanks man!

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 02:36:15 AM »
that's for a pair
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 03:00:37 AM »
i bet they're worth every penny too.  from what i've read they sound like the only speakers to own for playing back live recordings.  What kind of powering system do you need to operate a pair of these though?  I saw that Nick has a Sony reciever (shocked) and loves that setup...so is that the way to go?

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 03:04:37 AM »
many others are having great success with tube amps, I myself prefer tubes. Scott Brown is a solid state guy - arcam I believe - and he runs the vr2's, so does boswell.

depends on your tastes and budget
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.339 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com