Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO a new transport  (Read 5519 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
ISO a new transport
« on: February 11, 2007, 09:06:01 PM »
Looking to replace the CD player in my office system so that I can play 24 bit recordings back (utilized both DVD-A and DVD-V authored discs).  I will be going analog out of the player to my NAD 7175PE integrated (older receiver, doesnt have digital inputs), so I am looking for something that has good quality d/a conversion built in and solid transport.  In quick perusal through audiogon, I am looking at the toshiba SD-9200, marantz dv-6400 and the denon 2900 as they all appear to be available used in the price range I am looking for (~$450).  Any input on these units, or other units I should be considering?

Thanks in advance....

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: ISO a new transport
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 07:51:43 AM »
I enjoyed the heck out of my toshiba SD9200.  that thing is a TANK.  excellent transport.  I'd say its in another class of decks than the others.  this was the flagship of toshibas line circa 1999/2000.  It was $2k new.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 07:52:32 AM »
I enjoyed the heck out of my toshiba SD9200.  that thing is a TANK.  excellent transport.  I'd say its in another class of decks than the others.  this was the flagship of toshibas line circa 1999/2000.  It was $2k new.

thanks Nick...how would you rate the D/A conversion or did you only use it as a transport?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 08:01:30 AM »
the D/A is top notch...from 10 years ago.
I dont recall if it upsamples or not.  I do recall being very dissapointed in my LITE DAC 60 as it didn't improve the sound at all comparred to the analog output of the toshiba.
that is...until I rolled tubes in it.
but...still, its a class A deck.  no slouch.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 08:01:46 AM »
oh, it also does HDCD as well.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 11:04:21 AM »
I am looking for the same thing, another contender in the used for $350 crowd is the Denon 2910. I may end up with one of these or the Toshiba's.

I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 11:28:35 AM »
Home office or work-site office?  If the former, I suggest considering PC-based playback:  Foobar > soundcard S/PDIF out > DAC > integrated.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 11:30:56 AM »
Home office or work-site office?  If the former, I suggest considering PC-based playback:  Foobar > soundcard S/PDIF out > DAC > integrated.

home office, and I would do this (and look into upgrading my integrated to take a digi in) except about half of my listening is studio released stuff...so CD/DVD-A/SACD playback are important in my decision...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 11:46:37 AM »
and I may end up with the pioneer elite dv-45, as I have one downstairs and already know what its capability is...have a line on a fantastic deal for it...will see if it is still available...

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 02:58:23 PM »
I just recently bought a Denon 2910 and couldn't be happier. Bought used ~$330. I even did side by side comparisons with a Bel canto PL-2, and imo, the difference was minimal. I also did some experimenting with the 2910 going digital out to a Bel canto DAC 2, and again, little, if any difference that I could detect. Of course, room dynamics, speaker setup, and a whole bunch of other factors go into the equation. With that said, I think you'll find the Denon 2910 to have a wonderful DAC and you'd be hard pressed to improve it with an outboard DAC (within rea$on). And if you could, might as well just get an updated player for that kind of money.

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 06:23:05 PM »
I just recently bought a Denon 2910 and couldn't be happier. Bought used ~$330. I even did side by side comparisons with a Bel canto PL-2, and imo, the difference was minimal. I also did some experimenting with the 2910 going digital out to a Bel canto DAC 2, and again, little, if any difference that I could detect. Of course, room dynamics, speaker setup, and a whole bunch of other factors go into the equation. With that said, I think you'll find the Denon 2910 to have a wonderful DAC and you'd be hard pressed to improve it with an outboard DAC (within rea$on). And if you could, might as well just get an updated player for that kind of money.

My experience with the 2910 was much different.  Just didn't do it for me audio wise.  I thought the 2900 was closer to the 39XX series which are much better units.  The SP1000 bested them all though in MCA and 2 channel, but if using as just a transport the 2910 would be fine. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 06:26:52 PM by scervin »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 08:47:05 PM »

My experience with the 2910 was much different.  Just didn't do it for me audio wise.  I thought the 2900 was closer to the 39XX series which are much better units.  The SP1000 bested them all though in MCA and 2 channel, but if using as just a transport the 2910 would be fine. 

If I recall correctly you also had a DV-45A as well...how did it compare to the 2900 for analog out in your opinion?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 08:49:47 PM »
I also did some experimenting with the 2910 going digital out to a Bel canto DAC 2, and again, little, if any difference that I could detect.

I heard a similar comment regarding the 2900 vs DAC-2, that the DAC-2 was better but not enough to justify the additional cost compared to getting a higher end player.  Another member brought over a 24-bit DAC one evening and there was a difference but it was close enough that I lost interest in getting an external DAC and spent the money to bi-amp.  The 2900  alone has been satisfying for me.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 06:54:04 AM »
I ended up purchasing a Denon 3800 on Agon. I was listening to my Onkyo SP-1000 last night & can't wait to compare the two when I have both in my hands. The Onkyo is a VERY nice universal player so this should be a fun "test"
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 07:39:06 AM »
nice deck Carl.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.211 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com