Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is SACD a dying format?  (Read 10289 times)

Offline powermonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Is SACD a dying format?
« on: May 07, 2007, 03:29:11 PM »
I realise that there are quite a few SACDs around already - plenty to keep me going for the time being - but is new stuff getting released as SACD?

I'd love to hear the latest Norah Jones, or the new Bjork album, for instance, but after a bit of investigation, it appears that the record companies have little or no interest in such releases.

Does anyone know of any reliable sites showing new and future SACD releases?

Thanks very much.
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Is SACD a dying format?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 03:31:56 PM »

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 03:39:58 PM »
Cheers for that. T+!

I guess SACD may get a kck up the backside when the long-rumoured Beatles reissues appear...

;D

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

and/or

RebelRebel

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 03:47:17 PM »
www.arkivmusic.com (my favorite site of all time for getting music)..ive probably spent a couple grand there in the past year..(check out the OPUS 3 label..trust me)

www.acousticsounds.com

www.musicdirect.com

I realise that there are quite a few SACDs around already - plenty to keep me going for the time being - but is new stuff getting released as SACD?

I'd love to hear the latest Norah Jones, or the new Bjork album, for instance, but after a bit of investigation, it appears that the record companies have little or no interest in such releases.

Does anyone know of any reliable sites showing new and future SACD releases?

Thanks very much.

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 03:54:05 PM »
Woohooo! Thanks!

Yet more excellent sites to spend all my cash on!

T+

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

and/or

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 04:03:40 PM »
now I will admit, I have a handful of SACDs and have been blown away in the past by the sound when compared to CD...I did a listening comparison last night to Dark Side of the Moon SACD and Vinyl...and the SACD was lacking when compared to the Vinyl counterpart...just a thought....

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 04:10:27 PM »
I've only got a few SACDs myself at this point, and I'm no seasoned audiophile (my stereo setup costs, all in, maybe £400) but the difference between CD and SACD is enormous... I've always found myself turning up the treble when listening to normal CDs, but SACDs sound that much more balanced that I don't need to. The warmth and the increased definition of instruments is fantastic. I've not checked out any of my discs with my surround setup yet, but then my surround kit cost about £150, so it's never going to sound all that good.

My only problem is that I'm spending way too much on SACDs...

::)

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

and/or

RebelRebel

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 04:54:28 PM »
I love SACD too, by far, my favorite medium, and ive spent a lot on them myself. Telarc does really good SACDs as does Pentatone, Proprius, Opus 3, Waterlily acoustics...etc..

I've only got a few SACDs myself at this point, and I'm no seasoned audiophile (my stereo setup costs, all in, maybe £400) but the difference between CD and SACD is enormous... I've always found myself turning up the treble when listening to normal CDs, but SACDs sound that much more balanced that I don't need to. The warmth and the increased definition of instruments is fantastic. I've not checked out any of my discs with my surround setup yet, but then my surround kit cost about £150, so it's never going to sound all that good.

My only problem is that I'm spending way too much on SACDs...

::)

Offline RDunn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 05:16:04 PM »
now I will admit, I have a handful of SACDs and have been blown away in the past by the sound when compared to CD...I did a listening comparison last night to Dark Side of the Moon SACD and Vinyl...and the SACD was lacking when compared to the Vinyl counterpart...just a thought....

I've recently recorded some old Count Basie records on Pablo to DVD-A.  Vinyl on the Linn Sondek LP-12 > Linn Wakonda preamp > Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-671 at 24/96.  Yummy :^)
Schoeps MK4 > KC5 > CMC6 > Sound Devices 744T

cshepherd

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 06:36:46 PM »

With a P1?  That's awesome, Nick. 

Don't those Pablo records sound great?

Chris

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 08:22:49 PM »

Agreed 100%. I have a 4th pressing Harvest LP that sounds significantly better than the SACD. The SACD, imo, has a 'thin' sound and the multi-channel mix is not very engaging. With this one, if I am listening in stereo, it is the LP of Harvest CD (Japanese made Black label disc that sounds very good and better than the MFSL version) - multichannel is the 2496 DVD-A Quad Mix that circulated awhile back. Completely outrageous to say the least.
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 08:52:26 PM »

Chris

I was a little surprised.  but to my ears, the SACD excels at the imaging on the dark side SACD...you almost are jumping from speaker to speaker like a tennis match.  the vinyl did that as well, but just sounds warmer to my ears for some reason...

As with anything else though, my ears could be hearing a little of what I want to hear :P

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 12:01:28 AM »

Chris

I was a little surprised.  but to my ears, the SACD excels at the imaging on the dark side SACD...you almost are jumping from speaker to speaker like a tennis match.  the vinyl did that as well, but just sounds warmer to my ears for some reason...

As with anything else though, my ears could be hearing a little of what I want to hear :P

It's rare that you'll get a direct transfer from the original masters to DSD everyone wants to put their stamp on it and by God they always use that CD sound as a template.  God forbid they ever just give up the 2" Tape and transfer it without someone's interpretation of the way it's "supposed" to sound.

By God I want to hear a direct transfer of Electric Ladyland!!!
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 08:27:34 AM »
I don't have any experience with SACD.. But I'm wondering.. How much of the improvement is simply due to better remastering for higher bandwidth/better playback?   When I listen to much of my commercial collection I notice how compressed and sanitized it is. Percussion is totally neutered, etc.

RebelRebel

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 09:08:35 AM »
SACD, like anything else, depends on good execution to sound good...Vinyl isnt going to be better than SACD by default(well not to me anyway). Totally depends on the production. I have SACDs that are really amazing, same with CDs and Vinyl..totally depends on the situation.

Agreed 100%. I have a 4th pressing Harvest LP that sounds significantly better than the SACD. The SACD, imo, has a 'thin' sound and the multi-channel mix is not very engaging. With this one, if I am listening in stereo, it is the LP of Harvest CD (Japanese made Black label disc that sounds very good and better than the MFSL version) - multichannel is the 2496 DVD-A Quad Mix that circulated awhile back. Completely outrageous to say the least.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com