Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Music Server Software Options / Suggestions  (Read 8157 times)

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Music Server Software Options / Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 03:23:56 PM »
FWIW, I love iTunes and would probably adore it if they started supporting FLAC

My only beef as well Spott.  I refuse to buy another ipod until they support flac...but then again, it is possible to access your entire music collection using server software like slim server and a data connection for an ipod touch, right?
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline Frank in JC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 03:37:53 PM »
I think that Foobar will play, extract, FLAC/MP3, download CDDB, and download album art.

Foobar 2000 is great, but it requires serious tinkering if you're trying to take full advantage of its potential for a music server.  It looks like you can do some really cool stuff with it, cataloging and playback-wise, but only if you spend a lot of time with it.  The really nice thing about it is that it has a very small footprint (i.e. it doesn't hog system resources).  I've had iTunes bog down during playback and start dropping samples, but never Foobar.

AFAIK, Exact Audio Copy produces the most accurate rip, at least that's what it's been well known for.  You can also have it invoke FLAC after it creates the WAV files and batch-process everything to FLAC format. 

Good luck with the project!

Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 05:19:26 PM »
I just started to use the option with MediaMonkey that allows you to rip directly to FLAC. Will this [using MediaMonkey to rip / or FLAC] impact the play back quality?

AM I HEADING DOWN THE WRONG PATH…PLEASE HELP!

I only want to have to go through this process once.  I have been at it over six days and have several weeks to go.
SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

Offline Startstop

• Taperssection Regular
  • Pastafarian
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 12:20:35 PM »
My music server was setup before home NAS drives started to fall in price so i would recommend a NAS as opposed to my setup. Having said that, I am very happy with my networked music collection.

I have the Linksys NSLU2 (the SLUG) with an external 750gb hooked to that thru USB. The Slug will work with any format drive (fat32, NTFS, Ext2 and 3) which is handy for turning any thumb/external USB drive into a network drive. The NSLU is then plugged into my wireless router. At the stereo I have a Apple Airport Express router which i actually just use a repeater. The Airport Express has digi-out and acts as a Itunes server. The itunes folder is re-located to the network drive and anyone on the network can now load that library. So my wifes Macbook, my laptop running XP, and my desktop XP, can all connect and control Itunes. My comp running linux also can take advantage of the network drive. The only failing of this system is the need to convert FLAC to Apple Lossless. But DbPoweramp does this with all tags intact. Itunes for XP could certainly be improved but it couldnt have been easier to do the above network. Itunes also does tagging/album covers/lyrics.

When i started this i made the concession for space and converted my studio CD's to 320kbps MP3. Concerts are all Apple lossless (originals all in flac and backed up offsite) and any new CD's are now Apple lossless also. I certainly wish itunes would do flac but...oh well. I generally do all my work on my desktop which also has the identical 750gb harddrive which then gets copied to the network drive overnight. I can also make changes from any other computer to the network drive and the desktop HD will be updated at night. The networked drive and backup is so handy.

For software I use EAC to rip, convert, and tag. Itunes or Iart to apply album covers and lyrics. DBPoweramp with various codecs to do my shn, flac, ogg, apple lossless, converting. I use Synchback for backing everything up. For video i have been using DVDFab Decrypter, Nero, and Super for converting anything to anything. Incidentally, Super is one of the best video conversion programs i have found...anyone else tried this?

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 05:21:14 PM »
nice startstop, the network drive is the key. but what about 24bit media? itunes wont play 24 bit will it? i guess when converting you could resample/dither too, but i would think you would somehow want to keep the 24bit intact. sorry if i am missing something here. i am researching the media player also so please dont flame.

maybe a 2nd audio player on the network drive that will handle 24bit?
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 10:39:24 AM »
but what about 24bit media? itunes wont play 24 bit will it? i guess when converting you could resample/dither too, but i would think you would somehow want to keep the 24bit intact.

Itunes plays 24 bit files in Apple Lossless. On my Imac i use MAX to convert 24 bit flac
to 24 bit Apple Lossless. http://sbooth.org/Max/
I use MAX to tag the files i am converting.

Itunes as a music server has been great for me so far (1 year and 1000+ cd's and 1000+ live shows)
my set-up....
Imac > Empirical Audio Offramp Turbo > Grace 902 > PSA HCA-2 > Von Schweikert 2100's

I have an Apple Airport Express in my bedroom attached to cheap DAC AH going into a Mini
Headroom Headphone amp > Senn 580's . Not bad for a modest headphone setup.
Bought an older Ibook with an airport card, i use to control Itunes remotely...from my bedroom
or from my sofa with the big rig.

music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2007, 11:55:09 AM »
wow...this is great info. obviously i had no idea itunes could play 24bit files. +T  ;D

Itunes plays 24 bit files in Apple Lossless. On my Imac i use MAX to convert 24 bit flac
to 24 bit Apple Lossless. http://sbooth.org/Max/
I use MAX to tag the files i am converting.

Itunes as a music server has been great for me so far (1 year and 1000+ cd's and 1000+ live shows)
my set-up....
Imac > Empirical Audio Offramp Turbo > Grace 902 > PSA HCA-2 > Von Schweikert 2100's

I have an Apple Airport Express in my bedroom attached to cheap DAC AH going into a Mini
Headroom Headphone amp > Senn 580's . Not bad for a modest headphone setup.
Bought an older Ibook with an airport card, i use to control Itunes remotely...from my bedroom
or from my sofa with the big rig.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 08:07:39 PM »
thought this was interesting

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=29176.msg259949#msg259949

Great deal for that guy.  He gets paid & gets copies of everyone's discs.  Legal?  Probably not, but I'm sure he can find ways around that.  It would be nice to hand everything off to someone and get it back completely done, though.  Nice that he does the cover art & tagging as well.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Tim

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 09:47:29 PM »
yeah the whole thing is interesting, seems like he's getting a really sweet deal but if I had cash to burn it would be a nice way to go
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 03:47:37 PM »
I tell you this is real work ripping CD's.

I have ripped over 600 and it has taken several weeks.

But it's worth it...having my whole collection at a key stroke 8)
SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

Offline Tim

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 07:01:42 PM »

I'm sure it is!

Offline spott

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 01:44:51 PM »
Thought some folks might find this interesting: media player "show and tell"

http://lifehacker.com/software/screenshot-tour/media-player-show-and-tell-314809.php

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 03:26:14 PM »

sounds like it was easier than lifting your rig.
db

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2007, 01:10:59 AM »
Damn.... sorry I didn't pop back in here sooner. 

I don't have experience with using MediaMonkey for ripping files.  I haven't done any real research as to "bit perfectness" or anything of it's rips as I've been using the Easy CD-DA Extractor for that purpose.

I can tell you that as long as you're getting things ripped onto the drive with appropriate tagging into the format you prefer then you're golden.  If the library data is good than your can always import it into any other Manager of your choice.

The bottom line is that if you're finding the format pleasing and it's helping you get your data on the drive the way that you want it, it's a good method!
Lletting a program like this recognize the disc and auto-tag is a blessing. Once it's done sychch the library then all of your data will actually be written in the tags so any program will read it appropriately you're not limited to the player that created the library.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com