Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Maximum SPL  (Read 1994 times)

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
Maximum SPL
« on: October 19, 2011, 08:39:24 AM »
I was reading the specs on my mics (Beyerdynamic MCE86-II shotguns) and read that the maximum SPL they can handle is 128 dB. How loud do most indoor rock shows get? I seem to recal the world record for the loudest band was the Who at 120 dB. Don't know if that still holds, but if that's the case, most shows probably don't even approach the max SPL, do they?

"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Maximum SPL
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:22:12 AM »
I was reading the specs on my mics (Beyerdynamic MCE86-II shotguns) and read that the maximum SPL they can handle is 128 dB. How loud do most indoor rock shows get? I seem to recal the world record for the loudest band was the Who at 120 dB. Don't know if that still holds, but if that's the case, most shows probably don't even approach the max SPL, do they?

OSHA says there is damage from short term exposure to anything over like 120 or 125. You could hit that in a tiny club with Dinosaur Jr while standing in the impact zone. I've gone back and done the math based on the max output and I've run across that a couple of times. Never heard distortion that made me regret setup location/settings though.

My ck930s have a max of 125 and I think my 950s top out at 123 or so (without pads). I've never used the pads on the 930s but I don't stage-lip tape with them often which would be the one situation I'd really consider it. I'd probably set the pads on the 950s if I was in a crazy loud environment.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
Re: Maximum SPL
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:49:29 AM »
Thanks for the info.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com