Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: sE Electronics? sE4?  (Read 3506 times)

Offline oivindi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
sE Electronics? sE4?
« on: August 22, 2008, 08:43:04 AM »
Anyone got any experience with these? Or with sE Electronics in general?

I've just got an offer from a dealer, where I originally ordered a matched pair of Rode NT5s. However, they are not in stock, and so the dealer suggests the sE4 - and they says they are a "much better mic".

Strangely, I can't find much about either sE Electronics or the sE4 on the net - which naturally makes me sceptical.

Will be used for (stereo) field recording, and general sound collecting, with a FR2-LE.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: sE Electronics? sE4?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 09:07:11 AM »
Se Electronics is a reputable company.  The SE4 gets fantastic reviews and likely sound better than the NT5.  More expensive though. 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline oivindi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 09:09:58 AM »
Well, the deal I am offered for a stereo pair is just slightly more expensive than a NT5 pair.

Hmm.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:11:15 AM »
I've just got an offer from a dealer, where I originally ordered a matched pair of Rode NT5s. However, they are not in stock, and so the dealer suggests the sE4 - and they says they are a "much better mic".

Strangely, I can't find much about either sE Electronics or the sE4 on the net - which naturally makes me sceptical.

Will be used for (stereo) field recording, and general sound collecting, with a FR2-LE.

Just a general remark. If the dealer says "much better mic", this doesn't mean that there is any proven performance for what we are doing.  It all depends on the usage and application. The SE4 is mostly used as an instrument mic (acoustic guitars, drums):
http://www.crmav.com/recording/11/producer_film_tv_composer_matt_robertson_reflexion_filter_se.shtml

That said, the specs look OK, and it seems rugged enough for field use:
http://www.seelectronics.com/sE4_Stereo.html

Whether it's good value depends on the price you've been quoted...
Others here can fill you in on other similar mics in the same range.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:23:17 AM »
Just a general remark. If the dealer says "much better mic", this doesn't mean that there is any proven performance for what we are doing.  It all depends on the usage and application. The SE4 is mostly used as an instrument mic (acoustic guitars, drums):

I think the dealer is speaking in general terms that the mic is "better,"  I doubt he is talking about a specific application like micing a shaker.  I suspect it would be safe to assume that the dealer is suggesting the mic is better for most usages and applications.   ;)   

"The sE4 is used mostly as an insturument mic"?  I think this weak generalization could be stated for just about any SDC, including the NT5. 

The frquency response of the sE4 looks more suitable for diffuse feild recording as the presence peak is more extended compared to the NT5.  I would expect the sE4 to out perform the NT5 in many concert taping situations.

Offline oivindi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 09:27:44 AM »
Just a general remark. If the dealer says "much better mic", this doesn't mean that there is any proven performance for what we are doing.  It all depends on the usage and application.

I agree completely. "Much better" is about as subjective as one gets, which is why I am trying to find out if field recording etc. will turn out nicer with the sE4 in terms of (self)noise and sensitivity - first and foremost.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 09:31:16 AM »
which is why I am trying to find out if field recording etc. will turn out nicer with the sE4 in terms of (self)noise and sensitivity -

Noise and sensitivity is one of the last things I worry about as I am usually trying to capture rock music through a PA system.   Though if I was taping acoustic music or nature I might consider those specs.  The NT5 is amazingly quiet fwiw...

Offline oivindi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 09:35:08 AM »
Noise and sensitivity is one of the last things I worry about as I am usually trying to capture rock music through a PA system.

Indeed, though I mentioned my needs in the first mail. :)

The NT5 is amazingly quiet fwiw...

That's what I've read/heard, too. However, the sE4 has a stated(!) "Equivalent Noise Level: 14dB(A weighted)", while the NT5 is supposed to have 16dB A weighted - which should make the sE4 even better noisewise.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 05:26:19 AM »
BUMP! Just saw these on eBay and was curious if there has been any experiences with these mics since this thread was last posted to in 2008.

http://www.seelectronics.com/se4-pair-mic

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 08:24:26 AM »
Depending on how reputable the dealer is, sometimes the "much better mic" is the one which provides them with the most profit.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com