Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Double system audio for video  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Double system audio for video
« on: December 17, 2006, 06:40:16 AM »
For several weeks now, probably months, I have been looking for a CF based high-quality portable recorder to provide double-system capability on HDV camcorders.

For now, the shortlist holds the M-Audio 24/96, the Edirol R-09 and the Zoom H-4.

There's a new unit to be released in January:  Zaxcom ZFR100.

The Zaxcom  has one interesting thing: time-code sensing. When it perceives that the camera is running, it records too.

I am not still sure on how it does that or if it also records the TC on the file, which should be useful for me.

Has anyone seen or tried this recorder at any equipment show? Any additional information anyone might have? 

Offline inoutoffocus

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Double system audio for video
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 08:00:45 AM »
sounds promising!

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 10:25:16 AM »
There has been a little info about the Zaxcom posted on ts, most in this thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=62217.0

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 03:18:06 PM »
There has been a little info about the Zaxcom posted on ts, most in this thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=62217.0

Thanks.

I wonder if there will be a way to activate the unit through a different way that is not RF.

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 05:01:03 PM »
what hdv camera you are going to run ?
not all of them can export tc to syncronize the zaxcom
.the zaxcom does have mode that it runs when camera goes to record and recording rec run tc .
or you can adjust the camera and zaxcom close eneouth for free run and sync later on nle .
but - the camera less stable so it might be drift between these 2 on long runs
the sony hdv could suply tc true the lanc output ( you will need convetrer)
the jvc-100,101 doesnt have tc out at all
the canon do have one
the zefiro need external adaptor to get in line inputs stereo signal and ext tc , maximum recording time is about 6 hours for double track  when you use non loosles 3 to 1 compresion .
check the zaxcom site
www.zaxcom .com
oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 05:12:13 PM »
what hdv camera you are going to run ?
not all of them can export tc to syncronize the zaxcom

I am not yet sure if the Zaxcom is the unit for what I am looking for. The camera I would run this with is a Sony Z1, but if recording TC is much of a problem I will rely on some clapper system, with an actual clapper or with a light beeper.

To spend all that money in the Zaxcom it should do what I want it to do, or I will go a different way.

My intention is to improve on the HDV audio, which is not good. 

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 05:23:54 PM »
if you record music only,it  is a peace of cake sync it later , just live the camera mic open , no need for claps.
if you intend to record dialog , belive me you do wont tc on documentary .
by the way ,for dialog the the sony mpag audio is good enouth , for music , go double .

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 07:18:58 PM »
if you record music only,it  is a peace of cake sync it later , just live the camera mic open , no need for claps.
if you intend to record dialog , belive me you do wont tc on documentary .
by the way ,for dialog the the sony mpag audio is good enouth , for music , go double .

To start with let's make a point clear: I don't think MPEG audio is good. Maybe good enough for home movies, but not for quality audio that will go through more compress/decompress later on.

Quality dialogue is more involving, gets your characters (fiction or doc) closer to your audience. It was lucky that my beginnings as a director were doing sound in all its areas, because that is something directors do not learn to use too well in all its potential.

Syncing music is very easy, particularly when you can see the actual curves in your editing program. Dialogue is more complicated, particularly to organize it. And TC would be useful there.

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 02:10:50 AM »
home movies , , sorry one of  the last things i recorded with mpeg(jvc hd-101) is showing 14% rating on local channel 2  here in israel:-)
so the dialog is more then ok , not that you dont need some good mixer in front and decent mics ( sd and Allen &heath in my case + schoepses and sankens in front )
if you intend go straight for tv, the mpeg  is ok for dialog  but if you intend going to theatralical reliese( film print)   , go double .
by the way Carlos, as every else here  the tapping is my Hobby , my main is sound recording for film and tv( about 15 yers of sound + few others as editing  technician before) .
if you need take tc from your camera ( you cant sync it as a slave ,you cant record tc on 1 of the camera tracks and later replace it on nle  by the way) this is something that can sync your tc recorder or cripple hd p-2 tascam
http://www.zeitx.com/site3/lanclump.htm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com