Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bought high ohm headphones, and realized my recordings are low...  (Read 5682 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Bought high ohm headphones, and realized my recordings are low...
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 01:36:20 PM »
^^ The point being made though, is that in post you should ALWAYS amplify/normalize to 0dB regardless of where your levels were during recording. And, as noted, you should try and isolate out any weirdly loud peak sounds (I usually find it's a snare hit, or on an SBD, sometimes a particularly loud shout or something if that's part of the vocal).

Your recordings will still be quieter than commercial releases, but they'll at least be as loud as everyone else's live recordings.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 01:45:33 PM »
It's funny that this loudness war and over-compression has actually made everything seem quieter. I doubt that is the case but music recorded in the 1970s just doesn't seem as loud as todays music. maybe it is over-compression or engineers, producers, and musicians being more conscientious about their hearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 03:20:37 PM »
I boost to about - 3 or -2dB. At -1 or 0 I feel the signal is far too hot for my ears.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 03:34:57 PM »
^^ The point being made though, is that in post you should ALWAYS amplify/normalize to 0dB regardless of where your levels were during recording. And, as noted, you should try and isolate out any weirdly loud peak sounds (I usually find it's a snare hit, or on an SBD, sometimes a particularly loud shout or something if that's part of the vocal).

Your recordings will still be quieter than commercial releases, but they'll at least be as loud as everyone else's live recordings.

Couldn't disagree more.  Normalizing is not something that you always want to do in post production.  Plus, normalizing doesn't always work well with audience recordings, since hand claps, shouts, and PA noise can "fool" the normalizing plug in when its analyzing the signal for peaks.  I agree with getting your RMS as hot as you can, but that can be done while recording and not in post production.  I definitely have applied gain to recordings that need it, but never with a normalizing plug in.

Just how I do things  :)  Doesn't mean it's the right way.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Brian E.

• is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 03:42:54 PM »
It's funny that this loudness war and over-compression has actually made everything seem quieter. I doubt that is the case but music recorded in the 1970s just doesn't seem as loud as todays music. maybe it is over-compression or engineers, producers, and musicians being more conscientious about their hearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

nice link

I always leave my recordings as is - I'll boost dB but only until just before it clips, and never compress
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
I should not have added "normalize" as I understand that can do some unusual things to the waveform.  But "amplify" is simply a straight-line gain increase such that the highest peaks will be 0dB or whatever you set it at.  What possibly can be the harm in doing that?  I've heard that sometimes you want to stay a hair under 0dB for some obscure mathematical reason having to do with old A>Ds, but....

Couldn't disagree more.  Normalizing is not something that you always want to do in post production.  Plus, normalizing doesn't always work well with audience recordings, since hand claps, shouts, and PA noise can "fool" the normalizing plug in when its analyzing the signal for peaks.  I agree with getting your RMS as hot as you can, but that can be done while recording and not in post production.  I definitely have applied gain to recordings that need it, but never with a normalizing plug in.

Just how I do things  :)  Doesn't mean it's the right way.

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 04:35:20 PM »
I should not have added "normalize" as I understand that can do some unusual things to the waveform.  But "amplify" is simply a straight-line gain increase such that the highest peaks will be 0dB or whatever you set it at.  What possibly can be the harm in doing that?  I've heard that sometimes you want to stay a hair under 0dB for some obscure mathematical reason having to do with old A>Ds, but....

Conversely, on the D>A part of the chain; clipping can be really apparant, or non-existant. Different DACs can resolve a clip (audibly) differently, my portable dac/amp from ibasso was rather forgiving with my westones, while my denon's with the m901 is not nearly as much.

I record at -12db (limiter at -6), amp it the rest of the way to -0.1 in post, run a soft limiter at -3db (which results in a new overall peak of about -1.4) to take care of an errant peak or so and amp that result to -0.3 or -0.1.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 05:14:23 PM »

It all depends on how much gain the normalizing process is adding.  Normalizing can bring out the noise floor of the gear and make it quite noisy.  Adding a db or two of gain is fine, and as long as it doesn't push the signal into clipping, there's no noticeable harm done. 

Also like I said before, a close clapper that creates a sharp peak in the recording can confuse the normalizing plug in, and it won't properly analyze the sound to apply the right amount of gain.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 09:21:19 PM »
This is exactly what I do.
Sometimes I run hot and don't add anything.

I also find the high peaks from a clap or a sharp snare hit etc, and reduce those significantly.
When normalizing I use peak normalize which takes the guesswork out of amplifying to a certain db.
All peak normalizing does is scan the waveform for the highest peak and amplifies the whole file from that point to the limit I specify, which is usually -.25 db.
That is where reducing those sharp peaks from a clap etc. beforehand works great.
Say the average music peaks around -6db in the set. However, there were a couple huge claps that reach -1db.
Without fixing those I would only be adding .75 to to the set since my limit was -.25db.
Tone down those claps to around -6 and peak normalize will add roughly 5.75db to the set.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:29:22 PM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline Brian E.

• is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 01:18:46 AM »
I do the same with the hot claps, etc
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com